Graphics Card Fan Pulsing Issue!

Hello LTT Comunity! So I guess this is my first post/thread/whatevertheheckyouwannasay...

So I recently completed my first personal computer build (emphasis on "personal" since I intern at an IT company so I work with computers often), and I'm

Having an issue with my Graphics Card(s).

First Here's my full setup;

Mobo: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon

CPU: i3-7100 (I know, but it was what I had available atm, and I'm planning on upgrading soon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212X Dual Fan

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB (8GB total)

Graphics: Two PNY GTX 770 4GB OC's in two-way SLI

Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 (connected the case fans to the motherboard instead of using the case's manual controls)

Finally here's a breakdown of the issue:

I purchased the 770's from a guy on craigslist (who ended up being a previous coworker) for $50 each, put them in my build and they work perfectly fine except for one thing.

One of them does this thing where when it's on idle the fan directly over the GPU will start blowing loudly, then the second fan on it will blow loudly, and then they both spin down to normal.

first fan on full for 5 seconds > second fan on full for 2 seconds > both spin down for 4 seconds > repeat

Interestingly though it ONLY does this on idle! Once I'm open a game they'll start behaving normally. In fact they'll start consistently spinning quietly on a less demanding game like Diablo III,

and spin faster for a game like GTA V... Also the fans don't start doing this until the driver is loaded. If I'm at the UEFI/BIOS settings, if windows is booting, or if the driver is uninstalled the issue

doesn't happen. But as soon as it's loaded that one GPU starts pulsing its fans.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, tried using something like Afterburner (literally does nothing), and I've even tried removing it and putting the other GPU in the same slot or swapping them altogether

to see if it has to do with location in the case or the PCIe lane...

Very frustrating, very annoying. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but still would like it resolved...

42 minutes ago, FearTurkey said:

-SNIP-

I had an issue like this with my 1080 Ti, turned out to be Afterburner causing it for some reason. Have you tried just using the system normally without any overclocking tools open?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

50 minutes ago, FearTurkey said:

Hello LTT Comunity! So I guess this is my first post/thread/whatevertheheckyouwannasay...

So I recently completed my first personal computer build (emphasis on "personal" since I intern at an IT company so I work with computers often), and I'm

Having an issue with my Graphics Card(s).

First Here's my full setup;

Mobo: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon

CPU: i3-7100 (I know, but it was what I had available atm, and I'm planning on upgrading soon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212X Dual Fan

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB (8GB total)

Graphics: Two PNY GTX 770 4GB OC's in two-way SLI

Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 (connected the case fans to the motherboard instead of using the case's manual controls)

Finally here's a breakdown of the issue:

I purchased the 770's from a guy on craigslist (who ended up being a previous coworker) for $50 each, put them in my build and they work perfectly fine except for one thing.

One of them does this thing where when it's on idle the fan directly over the GPU will start blowing loudly, then the second fan on it will blow loudly, and then they both spin down to normal.

first fan on full for 5 seconds > second fan on full for 2 seconds > both spin down for 4 seconds > repeat

Interestingly though it ONLY does this on idle! Once I'm open a game they'll start behaving normally. In fact they'll start consistently spinning quietly on a less demanding game like Diablo III,

and spin faster for a game like GTA V... Also the fans don't start doing this until the driver is loaded. If I'm at the UEFI/BIOS settings, if windows is booting, or if the driver is uninstalled the issue

doesn't happen. But as soon as it's loaded that one GPU starts pulsing its fans.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, tried using something like Afterburner (literally does nothing), and I've even tried removing it and putting the other GPU in the same slot or swapping them altogether

to see if it has to do with location in the case or the PCIe lane...

Very frustrating, very annoying. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but still would like it resolved...

I know you're tired of hearing this, but upgrade to Ryzen. 

About that, have you checked on your GPU fan curve to see anything abnormal?

On 6/4/2017 at 3:07 AM, Its Not Important said:

I know you're tired of hearing this, but upgrade to Ryzen. 

About that, have you checked on your GPU fan curve to see anything abnormal?

would rather not go out and buy a completely new motherboard AND processor, tbh I'm not going to step off the intel boat until I know AMD can

CONSISTENTLY stay ahead.. for now intel works just fine for me...

On 6/4/2017 at 2:59 AM, vong said:

I had an issue like this with my 1080 Ti, turned out to be Afterburner causing it for some reason. Have you tried just using the system normally without any overclocking tools open?

This issue happened long before I installed afterburner. This issue happens as SOON as the nvidia driver installs...

Yes I've tried reinstalling, even gone as far as to do a complete operating system install.

Afterburner literally does NOTHING when I try to use it, adjusting fans with it doesn't work PERIOD. I even set the fan curve

to where even at the lowest temp the fans would run at 100% and then restarted my computer to make SURE the changes would take place

and still nothing. Afterburner I think can be ruled out as a cause or a solution in this issue as it simply does nothing..

On 6/7/2017 at 8:41 AM, FearTurkey said:

would rather not go out and buy a completely new motherboard AND processor, tbh I'm not going to step off the intel boat until I know AMD can

CONSISTENTLY stay ahead.. for now intel works just fine for me...

This issue happened long before I installed afterburner. This issue happens as SOON as the nvidia driver installs...

Yes I've tried reinstalling, even gone as far as to do a complete operating system install.

Afterburner literally does NOTHING when I try to use it, adjusting fans with it doesn't work PERIOD. I even set the fan curve

to where even at the lowest temp the fans would run at 100% and then restarted my computer to make SURE the changes would take place

and still nothing. Afterburner I think can be ruled out as a cause or a solution in this issue as it simply does nothing..

That motherboard part is understandable, but Ryzen is literally on par with i7 6900K

On 6/7/2017 at 9:21 PM, Its Not Important said:

That motherboard part is understandable, but Ryzen is literally on par with i7 6900K

ssssssshhhhhhhhh this is off topic ;)

also there seems to be a lot of graphics-related instability... i think they may be bad cards...