Single Drive Partitioning - OS X, Windows, and Linux

Go to solution Solved by BestPCBuilder2017,

So I had to do some digging, but I figured it out.

It is possible to have a single drive formatted as MBR capable of storing NTFS, OS X Extended Journaled, and ext3 at once. 

The issue is that for some fucking weird ass reason, OS X/macOS/ShittyOS, does not want to partition an MBR drive for whatever fucking reason. The dumbest shit in the fucking world. 

The way around this is to do partitioning not on OS X/macOS, but rather Linux or Windows, once atleast two partitions have been made, you need to boot back to OS X/macOS, then select one of the partitions and format/erase it for OS X format. 

The button is literally grayed out/not available for use for partitioning an MBR drive for OS X/macOS. 

Here's the picture for proof if anyone's interested: Image.png.d544d1ebaeb86d18fe62e9f81c9f5a43.png

So I was just wondering if it's possible to partition a single drive in MBR (Master Boot Record) format for mac os extended journaled, NTFS, and any of the traditional linux file systems like ext4

I believe I tried this and I didn't get it working, but if it does work, please let me know 

You need to split like into 3 even partitions.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

You need to split like into 3 even partitions.

That doesn't answer my question. 

2 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

That doesn't answer my question. 

It did

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

17 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

So I was just wondering if it's possible to partition a single drive in MBR (Master Boot Record) format for mac os extended journaled, NTFS, and any of the traditional linux file systems like ext4

I believe I tried this and I didn't get it working, but if it does work, please let me know 

MBR works on all of the system, but use gpt if you can its better.

You should use exFAT if you want to share files between them.

You can have any file system on a partition, mbr doesn't care.

What exactly are you trying to do.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

MBR works on all of the system, but use gpt if you can its better.

You should use exFAT if you want to share files between them.

You can have any file system on a partition, mbr doesn't care.

What exactly are you trying to do.

Are you sure? When I was in the Installation screen for OS X/macOS once it was formatted for MBR, I saw the partition option/button grayed out, unlike how I did with GPT format. Can you prove with source material or something? 

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Are you sure? When I was in the Installation screen for OS X/macOS once it was formatted for MBR, I saw the partition option/button grayed out, unlike how I did with GPT format. Can you prove with source material or something? 

and i sure for what? 

Mac os x is installed on gpt ever since intel macs came out.

and i sure for what? 

Mac os x is installed on gpt ever since intel macs came out.

I was talking about MBR format for partitioning NTFS, OS X Extended Journaled, and ext4. 

4 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

No, it didn't. 

Yes I did.

You just don't understand it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Yes I did.

You just don't understand it.

If you're claiming it's possible, then surely you'll prove it with a picture or something. 

5 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

If you're claiming it's possible, then surely you'll prove it with a picture or something. 

Don't know if it's possible and don't really care, even though there is the exact same topic about a week ago. Was it you who created that topic?

You initialized the drive in either MBR or GPT. 3TB needs to be initialized in GPT.

Then you create 3 separate partitions, for each OS you want to install because you can't create a single partition to use with 3 different file systems.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Don't know if it's possible and don't really care,

So fucking post then?

??????????????????????????

even though there is the exact same topic about a week ago. Was it you who created that topic?

Fucking source? 

You initialized the drive in either MBR or GPT. 3TB needs to be initialized in GPT.

Then you create 3 separate partitions, for each OS you want to install because you can't create a single partition to use with 3 different file systems.

Mate, did you even read the post? 

17 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I was talking about MBR format for partitioning NTFS, OS X Extended Journaled, and ext4. 

they can all be in mbr or gpt, but no reason to use mbr these days.

they can all be in mbr or gpt, but no reason to use mbr these days.

I'm asking if it's possible to put all three onto a single drive at once in MBR format, I don't think I can get any clearer on what I'm asking here. And if it's possible to do so, could you please instruct how you've managed to do it? 

Calm down, guys. We don't need a rabbid @GoodBytes jumping in do we? 

You can place the disk into MBR or GPT, but I believe that only exFAT will be usable by Linux, MacOS, and Windows concurrently, but can't confirm. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So fucking post then?

??????????????????????????

Fucking source? 

Mate, did you even read the post? 

1. Cut the fucking language! :|

2. I've read your topic

3. You just don't seem to understand my post or what I'm trying to tell you.

4. Can't find that topic. Web search How to triple boot Windows, OSX and Linux.

5. Found this, but it wasn't it

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Calm down, guys. We don't need a rabbid @GoodBytes jumping in do we? 

You can place the disk into MBR or GPT, but I believe that only exFAT will be usable by Linux, MacOS, and Windows concurrently, but can't confirm. 

9 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I'm asking if it's possible to put all three onto a single drive at once in MBR format, I don't think I can get any clearer on what I'm asking here. And if it's possible to do so, could you please instruct how you've managed to do it? 

yea that will work fine, you just need multiple partitions.

Make partitions, then put filesystem in them.

yea that will work fine, you just need multiple partitions.

Make partitions, then put filesystem in them.

I tried that, this was the result: 

3 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I tried that, this was the result: 

what os?

You can easily do this in a linux system.

what os?

3 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

You can easily do this in a linux system.

Instructions? 

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Instructions? 

open up fdisk, make 3 partition

then do mkfs.partitiontype on each of the partitions.

Technically speaking it is possible for 1x HDD/SSD to carry both GPT and MBR, which, each partition is one of them. However, this is complicated to actually do.

The big problem is that:

1. BIOS ONLY works with MBR
  2. UEFI ONLY works with GPT

UEFI has a compatibility mode, that once enabled, can work with MBR (it basically emulates the old BIOS).

Windows 7, 8, 10 support being installed on MBR and GPT

Linux, will really depend on the distro. I think Ubuntu is the only one, or one of the few that supports UEFI.

For Mac.. well technically it supports since the longest time UEFI. I have no idea if it supports BIOS as the OS is designed to work with its own specific specs, and all Apple computers since the longest time are EFI/UEFI (about the same thing) ready.

So to get everything working, you either stick everything to MBR, and your UEFI set to legacy mode, to work with it, and you install a boot manager of your choice to boot the OS. You can use Windows, or you can use Linux. For Windows, on an OS that isn't another version of Windows, it might not detect the OS, all depending on the distro, and it needs to be installed LAST, as it will take over the boot process.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Technically speaking it is possible for 1x HDD/SSD to carry both GPT and MBR, which, each partition is one of them. However, this is complicated to actually do.

The big problem is that:

1. BIOS ONLY works with MBR
  2. UEFI ONLY works with GPT

UEFI has a compatibility mode, that once enabled, can work with MBR (it basically emulates the old BIOS).

Windows 7, 8, 10 support being installed on MBR and GPT

Linux, will really depend on the distro. I think Ubuntu is the only one, or one of the few that supports UEFI.

For Mac.. well technically it supports since the longest time UEFI. I have no idea if it supports BIOS as the OS is designed to work with its own specific specs, and all Apple computers since the longest time are EFI/UEFI (about the same thing) ready.

UEFI works with both MBR or GPT

AMD ThreadRipper 2!