PC dead, time for upgrades (~500€)

Ein0r

Hi,

I probably killed off my mainboard two weeks ago, and if there is not a cheaper solution to this, i will probably get some upgrades. So i am not exactly sure where to post this topic.

The "Accident":

I wanted to vacuum clean my pc and couldnt get all the dust out of my cpu cooler. So i unhinged the cooler and pulled a bit but couldnt get it off. I didnt realize that the cpu and the cooler were sticking together because of the rather fresh thermal paste i applied some months ago, and the stupid brute that i am, pulled and turned the cooler with more force. The result: The cooler plus the cpu sticking to it were now in my hand.

4 of the small pins on the cpu are bent but i didnt try to fix them, in case i might make it worse. But i could somewhat easily put the cpu back on the board, including the cooler. When i power up the PC the fans are turning (cooler, gpu, case,etc.), the cooler and the chip both get warm but that's about as much reaction as i get. My monitor and my tv stay black, i dont get any sounds from my boxes and my keyboard, mouse and xbox controller dont light up. When i plug the controller into the front usb port of my case it briefly lights up.

I wont be able to go to a pc store near me until friday, probably, but i want to make use of my time to look for solutions and parts.

This is my current PC but with 3 different parts (gpu, standard cooler, unknown power supply):

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vyFsbv

The video card i currently use is a Palit GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual

For the sake of Watt calculation i added a cpu cooler, but i use a standard cooler.

I couldnt find out what power supply is in my pc. It is either a beQuiet 400W or 500W.

Going with this list, i either need a new mainboard that fits to the new gpu and the other old parts.

Or i will need a new mainboard, cpu, ram and maybe a new power supply. I might need a new keyboard or an adapter because i dont know if new mainboards still have ps/2 ports xD

Aim:

I want to use it for gaming, but with this budget, it obviously doesnt need to be high end. If possible, i want to play current games and those released in the next 1-2 years at max or near max settings. I dont need overclocking.

Budget: ~500€ (I live in Germany) but shouldnt go much higher than that. If i need a new power supply, maybe +20-30€.

I want 16gb ram if possible but 8gb are fine too. i can still upgrade later on.

I looked through several pcpartpicker builds, but due to the fact that i dont need a gpu, case and storage, it turns out to be rather difficult for me to find something in a price range that might fit my needs.

I dont have any real preferences towards intel or amd. I considered switching to intel because i think i can get a better performance for my small budget. But then again, i didnt really follow the cpu development at all.

Thanks in advance, i really appreciate your help.

@Praesi might be able to help since he's from Germany and will know the pricing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@Praesi might be able to help since he's from Germany and will know the pricing.

I always buy @ www.alternate.de 

I ordered from many stores, but they are the ones who gave me the best exp.

This Store is not known for its cheap Prices, but they delivere fast and stand by your Side if there is a Problem with the Hardware.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

What I've found:

if AMD:

R5 1500X (215 CHF)

ASUS Prime B350 Plus (115 CHF)

2x8GB Hyper X Fury at 2660 MHz (150 CHF)

Would be a total of 480 CHF (Schould be the same in germany)

If Intel
i5 7500 (206 CHF)

ASUS Prime H270 Plus (130 CHF)

2x8GB HyperX Fury at 2660MHz (150 CHF)

Would be a total of (486 CHF)

On the Intel side you could use your Hyper 212 EVO, The Ryzen comes with a decent Stock cooler

I just wrote it since it was asked in the recommendation thread ;). the prices are similiar, maybe a bit higher here. An  i5 7600  are both around 230 $/€, a ryzen 5 1600 also both around 210 $/€

My biggest concern is that i would buy parts that dont work well.together.

Thanks again for your suggestions. They made it much easier for me to read into the topic. On first glance i will probably stick with AMD, going for an r5 1600. According to pcpp, my watt usage also goes down quite significantly, from ~380W to 320W. Now i just have to wait until friday too see what Mr. Pc Store suggests.

The price fits nicely in my budget which will allow me to get a good power supply if needed, too.

Without a Power Supply it costs 456€. (~514$, ~495 CHF) or a bit cheaper depending on the cpu.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dmmRXH

Back again!

Mr. PC Store told me about the same, that it isnt really worth repairing because the repair would probably cost about the same as a new generation mainboard. So i will probably stick with Team Red on this.

But i might still have some issues with it:

1.:   "Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master - HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports." -pcpp

Is this an issue? With "Front Panel" i understand the usb ports, well, right in the front, right above my optical drive. Wont they work at all or will they just be unable to make full use of usb 3.0 improvements?

2.: Does the I/O shield get delivered with the mainboard? I think so, but  it has been ages since i built that old pc, and i am not exactly sure anymore. If not, i will have to search for my metal shears and cut the holes hopen myself... xD

3.: That ****** power supply.

I still cant reliably figure out how much power it has. The only thing i found were Volt and Ampere numbers in the plugin location for the power cable. 250V and 15a. Which would lead to a 375W Power Supply if you can determine it this way. (Watt = Volt x Ampere)

This might have worked for my old setup, which was 361W according to pcpp; still a tight fit though. I added the Sound Card in August 2016 (+10W), and i changed the GPU in January 2017 (Radeon hd5600 -> gtx 1060), which also added +20W. This would have brought it over the threshold for about 2-3 months, with an average time of 10-15 hours per day. Admittedly with the new hardware i wont even scratch on the 375W mark, but it is still strange though. Or i was lucky that the Power Suppy didnt go up in smoke.

4.: Can issues arise with installing bios?

I dont think so but better safe than sorry.