Connecting two PCs together via Thunderbolt Networking

Hikaru12

Has anyone done this? It's hard to find setup information for this but there is a plethora of information on doing this between two Macs. My understanding is that I need to enable file sharing on one side of the PC, setup a manual IP address on the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter and then do the same on the other PC and make sure the IP's are on the same subnet and then I should just be able to type in the IP address of any of the machines and start sharing. Does this sound correct? Thanks for any help!  

1 minute ago, Hikaru12 said:

Has anyone done this? It's hard to find setup information for this but there is a plethora of information on doing this between two Macs. My understanding is that I need to enable file sharing on one side of the PC, setup a manual IP address on the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter and then do the same on the other PC and make sure the IP's are on the same subnet and then I should just be able to type in the IP address of any of the machines and start sharing. Does this sound correct? Thanks for any help!  

far as I can see from a quick google search is, it's possible, but it isn't hugely implemented (Very very few people have done/acre about it from what I see) so it might become a bigger thing in the future but it's not a massive thing at the moment. I think

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

I wonder if I can just do it with two USB C (3.1) as I believe it acts as both a host/client correct? 

20 minutes ago, Hikaru12 said:

I wonder if I can just do it with two USB C (3.1) as I believe it acts as both a host/client correct? 

You can always do a wormhole. Much easier to setup and utilize if the goal is file sharing, and even let's you use one mouse on both devices.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You can always do a wormhole. Much easier to setup and utilize if the goal is file sharing, and even let's you use one mouse on both devices.

Is it basically like a USB 2.0 networking cable? I'm not familiar with this product. 

10 hours ago, Hikaru12 said:

Is it basically like a USB 2.0 networking cable? I'm not familiar with this product. 

There is one that is USB 3 (2.0 compatible). Plug in to both PCs, run the small .exe that is preloaded and works. Mac to Mac, windows to windows, and windows to Mac.

Something like this: USB 2.0 Wormhole KM Switch JUC100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIFHW9O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_B02mzbZFQNC3Y

If you're super techy, you can do it with Ethernet cable. Super cheap and simple, but needs different tips.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

There is one that is USB 3 (2.0 compatible). Plug in to both PCs, run the small .exe that is preloaded and works. Mac to Mac, windows to windows, and windows to Mac.

Something like this: USB 2.0 Wormhole KM Switch JUC100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIFHW9O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_B02mzbZFQNC3Y

If you're super techy, you can do it with Ethernet cable. Super cheap and simple, but needs different tips.

Wouldn't USB3 be faster then 1Gbe

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If both cards are gigabit, they can auto detect wire arrangement in connectors so a simple network cable (like the one used between pc and switch/router) will work just fine. One of the network cards will detect the wires in wrong order and auto swap the pairs and transmit data correctly. You only need to give each pc a unique IP and same subnet mask and you have communication between PCs.

Yeah network is just 1gbps (125MB/s) but there's new standard making it possible to have 2.5gbps with regular cat5e cables or 5gbps/10gbps with cat6 cables. Network cards should show up soon.

USB 3 in theory can do up to 600 MB/s but in real world I doubt you'd get more than 2-300 MB/s .. and would use A LOT more processor to push data through usb and decode the data coming through usb cable.

Network cards have lots of hardware acceleration and hardware offloading, they can work with bigger data buffers, it's just designed better for data transfers

On 6/4/2017 at 0:37 AM, mariushm said:

If both cards are gigabit, they can auto detect wire arrangement in connectors so a simple network cable (like the one used between pc and switch/router) will work just fine. One of the network cards will detect the wires in wrong order and auto swap the pairs and transmit data correctly. You only need to give each pc a unique IP and same subnet mask and you have communication between PCs.

Yeah network is just 1gbps (125MB/s) but there's new standard making it possible to have 2.5gbps with regular cat5e cables or 5gbps/10gbps with cat6 cables. Network cards should show up soon.

USB 3 in theory can do up to 600 MB/s but in real world I doubt you'd get more than 2-300 MB/s .. and would use A LOT more processor to push data through usb and decode the data coming through usb cable.

Network cards have lots of hardware acceleration and hardware offloading, they can work with bigger data buffers, it's just designed better for data transfers

Yea I saw after all this work it's probably just easier to network both PC's and just share the files and transfer the files over the network. The HDD's always end up being the bottleneck in the end.