Unsafe driving while filming ScrapYard Wars

WeeemRCB

After watching the last couple of episodes of Scrapyard Wars (love them btw), it was really bugging me that Luke was checking his phone all the time while driving.

I've had my share of close calls from texting drivers while on my motorbike and I have a friend that was knocked of his bike by a texting driver. it's been a big problem in the UK.

I'm sure guys in BC already know the score, but for those that don't it's a decent fine + demerits if you get caught:  https://www.caa.ca/distracted-driving

SYW is already filmed, so we're in the hands of the editors now, but for future roaming projects, Linus / Procurement, please make sure your guys 'on duty' have hands free kits or a dashboard mounts available so phones can be safely used as satnavs.

Not just for their safety... Selfishly I want you guys to continue making videos uninterrupted :)

(and for the smartarses oot there - yes, I know this season's SYW was filmed in California where the fines are insignificant, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous)

----------------------------
        Weem

Reminds me of this in Scrapyard Wars 2.

I didn't notice he was doing that all the time, though. brb, rewatching again.

1 hour ago, WeeemRCB said:

After watching the last couple of episodes of Scrapyard Wars (love them btw), it was really bugging me that Luke was checking his phone all the time while driving.

I've had my share of close calls from texting drivers while on my motorbike and I have a friend that was knocked of his bike by a texting driver. it's been a big problem in the UK.

I'm sure guys in BC already know the score, but for those that don't it's a decent fine + demerits if you get caught:  https://www.caa.ca/distracted-driving

SYW is already filmed, so we're in the hands of the editors now, but for future roaming projects, Linus / Procurement, please make sure your guys 'on duty' have hands free kits or a dashboard mounts available so phones can be safely used as satnavs.

Not just for their safety... Selfishly I want you guys to continue making videos uninterrupted :)

(and for the smartarses oot there - yes, I know this season's SYW was filmed in California where the fines are insignificant, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous)

This shit really triggers me, and it's starting to get really bad they need to start cracking down on offenders very harshly.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

They won't take any notice until they either get a massive fine or cause an accident. 

1 hour ago, WeeemRCB said:

And with complete set of limbs

Texting and winning Scrapyard Wars? it can wait!

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Their response will probably be something along the lines of 'we only do it when it's safe and only ever glance at the phone'. 

Fact is, if you're driving, that's all you should be doing

8 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

Their response will probably be something along the lines of 'we only do it when it's safe and only ever glance at the phone'. 

Fact is, if you're driving, that's all you should be doing

Nobody changes until they run someone's ass over.

Here in the uk, if your caught even with your phone in your hand whilst driving, its now 6 points on your license (Max 12) and a £200 fine (US$260 ).

Not worth the risk, leave it to passengers and drivers should put there phone in the "glove box" to resist temptation and get a hands free device.

5 hours ago, WeeemRCB said:

Can you tell me when exactly Luke was using his phone? Which episode and what approximate time-stamp?

If he was just picking it up to glance at the screen, that's not the worst, but if he's actually typing touching the screen, texting, emailing, whatever, that's no good at all.

I can understand checking a text message at a stop light (but not replying), if it'll take 0.5 seconds, but actually using the phone? Nope.

Also, fyi, even if the phone is dash mounted, most Canadian Law will prohibit you from touching it.

Basically, if you need to use the phone, it has to be completely hands free. Voice controls only (or steering wheel controls if doing things like music and answering calls).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, WeeemRCB said:

please make sure your guys 'on duty' have hands free kits or a dashboard mounts available so phones can be safely used as satnavs

TBH, this is still a distraction, obs not as much, but it still is. 

I love the justification buddy does. "Well if hes stopped at a light or just glancing at it" Bullshit

Its still illegal buddy.

This fucking shit costs lives!

I feel like I'm about to get in an accident if I check my phone whilst in a parking lot, stopped, and I'm not actually in park. How the fuck people can text and drive as if it were as easy as breathing is excessively beyond me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, divito said:

Some dash controls are more convoluted than simply glancing at your phone for a second, yet we still have all the menus and features in the car's infotainment system that are allowed when they're practically the same thing.

In some cases, yes. But if they are too convoluted, you shouldn't use them while driving.

You should ideally memorize all important controls so that you can operate them without looking.

Not every state/province/country has the same laws, but for example, most provinces in Canada have worded the anti-texting laws in such a manner so that distracted driving in general is an offense, and is dealt with more of on a case-by-case basis, with the officer having a lot of leeway on when to ticket someone - and when not to.

So, in theory, under these laws, if you become distracted due to an overly complicated infotainment system built into your car, that's no different legally from whipping out your phone and texting while driving.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Drak3 said:

I feel like I'm about to get in an accident if I check my phone whilst in a parking lot, stopped, and I'm not actually in park. How the fuck people can text and drive as if it were as easy as breathing is excessively beyond me.

Some people can get fairly good at texting and "keeping the car in the lane while the road goes in a straight line".

I won't go so far as to say some people are good at texting and driving, because that's simply not true - they might feel like they are, and might look like it under some circumstances, but studies have shown that texting and driving can introduce similar levels of distraction as, say, driving while intoxicated.

I'd be lying if I said that most of my time at traffic lights isn't spent on my phone. If I'm stopped anyway, who cares?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Even hands free isnt even that safe while driving, ideally you shouldn't use it all 

(May not technically be the most scientifically accurate test ever, but its mythbusters). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

Even hands free isnt even that safe while driving, ideally you shouldn't use it all 

(May not technically be the most scientifically accurate test ever, but its mythbusters). 

Meh some cars all you do is press a button adn say "call X" and it does the rest. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I'd be lying if I said that most of my time at traffic lights isn't spent on my phone. If I'm stopped anyway, who cares?

If you're looking at your phone, you're not looking at the road, and/or your surroundings.

What if the light changes green while you're staring at Facebook? No doubt you've inadvertently annoyed the driver beyond you. Also, you're not aware of your surroundings, and thus are more likely to be hit by another driver who, say, loses control of their car (or is drunk, etc). It might be their fault, sure, but you might be able to maneuver out of the way if you're paying attention - which could save your life.

Spending 0.5 seconds seeing if you have any messages is fine - that's no different from looking at the clock or seeing what radio station you're on. But that's not actively "using" the device.

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

Meh some cars all you do is press a button adn say "call X" and it does the rest. 

Doesnt matter, the point is you are distracted if talking while driving. Its not just touching the phone that is bad. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

Indeed on my car, I press a "call" button, which activates a voice recognition system in which I tell the car the command I want (like saying "Call Jon Snow", or "Music, next song").

Just now, rn8686 said:

Doesnt matter, the point is you are distracted if talking while driving. Its not just touching the phone that is bad. 

Not really depends more on the conversation then the fact you are talking. If that were the case better not talk to anyone else in the car then. Make for boring car rides. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

To be fair, the "course" they had to drive on MythBusters was quite a bit more challenging than typical driving usually requires. Though precision driving could be required at any moment due to avoiding an accident.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Some people can get fairly good at texting and "keeping the car in the lane while the road goes in a straight line".

I won't go so far as to say some people are good at texting and driving, because that's simply not true - they might feel like they are, and might look like it under some circumstances, but studies have shown that texting and driving can introduce similar levels of distraction as, say, driving while intoxicated.

I know a person that can drive perfectly well with a phone in their hands if they have a competent copilot instructing them on how fast to go and when to turn (and how much). Then again, he also is a former tank driver, so not having eyes on the road and going up to 30MPH whilst driving a 40+ ton behemoth is kind of a required skill that doesn't just go away.

That said, the second anyone pulls out a phone and they're not in park, is the second that I decide not to ride with them again. I know most people aren't frickin tank drivers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Not really depends more on the conversation then the fact you are talking. If that were the case better not talk to anyone else in the car then. Make for boring car rides. 

Probably would, but much safer ones too (Look what happened in their tests, I dont see much of a difference if your phone is hand free or using car controls). 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC: