Day theme vs Night theme users poll

LienusLateTips

DAY THEME VS NIGHT THEME POTATO TURNIP GARDEN VEGETABLE HERSHEYS NESTLE DUBAI AMD CHINA STUFF  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Night theme or Day theme?

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

I would never condone harassment in life or in the forum and my reply was not meant to justify another's actions, besides it is against CS to harass others. I you are harassed make sure to report the commentator to a mod.

I've seen new members destroyed over this on their first news post. Don't think that member ever came back.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I've seen new members destroyed over this on their first news post. Don't think that member ever came back.

It is a big shame when that happens.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Night theme always, whenever and where ever.

If you post on the forum it is by default of being a responsible/respectable person to make sure that you are being respectful and inclusive to the forum as a whole. Meaning making sure that you format your posts so that the post appears for both Day and Night theme users. So it is obligatory for the poster to do so and verify it when posting.

:|  Otherwise your [in general not specifically] lazy and disrespectful IMO and I am sure more than half the regulars would agree with this point. Its just like posting in the news section you must meet a requirement to post there so same as anywhere else. Plus in the CS it states to be respectful to the forum so IMO it is necessary to do this.

While I agree that someone making a post should do their best to ensure that the post is formatted correctly, I most certainly disagree that this extends to them actually switching themes to verify their post. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize for the confusion.

Simply ensuring that formatting is removed is a good start, and of course, if someone points out (politely and constructively) that there is a formatting error, that the OP fixes it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Simply ensuring that formatting is removed is a good start, and of course, if someone points out (politely and constructively) that there is a formatting error, that the OP fixes it.

I think sometimes there is a communication problem: users complaining about nigh--theme compatibility tend to sound worse than those who point out to formatting.

I explain myself: 99% of the time, the problem is someone pasted something into a post, which happens to show in terrible contrast when you use the night theme, but as a day-theme user the OP doesn't realize (or sometimes he uses the night theme, but doesn't bother to check because he already read that :P). It's not some carefully selected font they intended to be dark. They couldn't care less about the format, it was just an accident. My impression is that, in that context, people saying

Could you remove the extra format?

or

Please paste as plain text

are perceived in a constructive light, and not very resisted. Especially when they explain how to remove format for already pasted text. This helps other users to be more aware about the "remove formatting" popup when pasting stuff.

However, people saying

Pleas fix for night theme users

or

night theme users' eyes hate you

don't come up as positive :P Even the polite version sounds a bit entitled, as if they were saying "please fix that for me, to my liking. Do extra work for my convenience". Now, the essence is the same, the issue is the same, and the solution is the same. But the message just sounds more to "cater to our wishes" in one case and more to "you can improve your post this way" in the other.

As a night-theme user, I also think it is strategically better to use the first approach, and more accurate: while it's not usually the case, it is technically possible to format a post so that it is unreadable for day-theme users. Hence, instead of presenting it as a "night theme issue", it would be better to stress the general principle: paste as plain text (or click the remove formatting popup) and it will work for everyone no matter what.

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

While I agree that someone making a post should do their best to ensure that the post is formatted correctly, I most certainly disagree that this extends to them actually switching themes to verify their post. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize for the confusion.

There is no need to switch themes, just check the at the bottom of the box when pasting for the "remove format warning". ;)  Or do what I do and highlight all then remove format as a precaution. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Idea: add a note in the posting guidelines on how to format posts. :) @colonel_mortis @Windspeed36 ??

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

<snip>

Same here I strive to explain to new users to format posts for dark theme. Thing is new users dont know a they haven't explore the entire site and are not aware there is a dark theme .... etc. etc. 

I know there are a few time I have come off a bit off myself so I wont dis others for not being nice entirely [mistakes are part of being human] but I think maybe an addition to the CS or posting guides can include a hey there is a dark theme so please format and be awesome by it :D 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Same here I strive to explain to new users to format posts for dark theme. Thing is new users dont know a they haven't explore the entire site and are not aware there is a dark theme .... etc. etc. 

I forget to mention that: sometimes the OP doesn't even know what the problem is, so telling them "remove format" will work, but telling them "fix for night theme" leaves them like "what does that even mean?", which helps in making it seem more hostile.

@SpaceGhostC2C @SansVarnic good points - generally, I will attach a screenshot of their post in my theme to show the formatting error - it helps them visualize what's "wrong" - though, since I use the Day Theme, this doesn't happen that often.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

@SpaceGhostC2C @SansVarnic good points - generally, I will attach a screenshot of their post in my theme to show the formatting error - it helps them visualize what's "wrong" - though, since I use the Day Theme, this doesn't happen that often.

Yeah I try to remember to add a screen shot but I forget about 50% of the time.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER