US tech firms pledge to defy Trump on withdrawal from the Climate Change Agreement

Master Disaster

Around 24 hours after trump said he would withdraw the U.S from the Paris agreement Americas tech firms have all rallied and pledged to maintain the terms agreed upon with Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, IBM, Facebook & Elon Musk all speaking out against his decision.

The biggest US tech firms are rallying behind the 2015 Paris climate agreement, despite President Trump's decision to leave it.

Mr Trump's move has been met with dismay from other world leaders signed up to the accord - but much of the outcry can be heard on the west coast of his own country.

The chief executives of Apple, Google, Microsoft and Facebook have all criticised the president's decision.

Many firms, including IBM and Amazon, said they would continue to try to meet the goals of the climate deal.

"IBM supported - and still supports - US participation in the Paris Agreement," the technology company said in a statement.

_96315716_leaders1.jpg

Microsoft remained "committed" to doing its part for the agreement, its president and chief legal officer Brad Smith said.

Many tech firms have faced scrutiny from environmentalists, thanks to the huge energy demands of their data centres.

US data centres consumed roughly as much energy as six-and-a-half million US homes, according to one report - 70 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity.

Tech firms have consequently invested heavily in making their operations greener.

Google, for example, says it is on track to hit its own goal of offsetting 100% of its data centres' energy use against renewable power.

And Apple has said that 96% of its energy comes from renewable sources - the company is now pushing its suppliers to follow its example.

"A lot of these firms have already invested in renewables and [leaving the Paris deal] counters what they're currently invested in," explains analyst Matthew Ball at Canalys.

The implication is that, should it becomes less cost-effective to rely largely on renewables, then that investment could soon look like a mistake.

Musk will even stand down from his position on Trumps business panel

Elon Musk, who had been a member of Mr Trump's business panel, announced he would leave the post.

"Am departing presidential councils," he tweeted. "Climate change is real. Leaving Paris is not good for America or the world."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40131287

dicaprio-gatsby-round-of-applause-for-al

Climate change isn't real, its more real than Trumps common sense. Good job to all the firms mentioned and all the others who stick to the agreement.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Meh, bunch of circle jerking each other.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Blah blah blah, whine whine whine. Not sure why all these loonies think destroying the U.S. for "Muh Climate" is such a noble cause.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Phew...

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Blah blah blah, whine whine whine. Not sure why all these loonies think destroying the U.S. for "Muh Climate" is such a noble cause.

Lmao, if you destroy the planet then there is no USA anymore. You do understand that, right?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Lmao, if you destroy the planet then there is no USA anymore. You do understand that, right?

Sometimes I wonder if that's the plan.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Yawn.  All show. The major tech companies have their products actually produced in countries that won't really be affected (or not just outright lie) about their effects. The Finance Class & Companies (of which Tech, due to its R&D At Home; Manufacture Away setup, is a major player) are pissed off because they wouldn't be able to rob the States of 100s of Billions. 

When the Tech Companies start talking about putting 10s of Billions into next generation Nuclear development (or even Thorium Reactors), then they're be worth listening to.  

Just now, rrubberr said:

Lmao if I believed in Global Warming you're right. I think Al Gore, Elon Musk, and Bill Nye are off their rockers.

Whether you choose to believe the evidence or not in no way invalidates the evidence. All it does is speak volumes about your level of intelligence.

lol what makes me laugh is this is what conservatives have been wanting the left to do for a long time: not rely on federal government and turn to private and state control. I don't see the problem with states and companies following the Paris agreement, but having the executive branch enter into the 'treaty' (that isn't a full treaty I know) without any approval from anybody but himself just screams anti-democracy

Also, if they're committed to "fighting Climate Change", then they'll move to end Private Jet Travel. And turn their >10,000 sq. ft. Mansions into much smaller homes that require much less heating.  If they don't put their own Money where they want everyone else to, why should we believe a word of what they preach? 

5 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Lmao if I believed in Global Warming you're right. I think Al Gore, Elon Musk, and Bill Nye are off their rockers.

Show me some solid evidence that global warming is BS. I think you're off your rocker.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

Show me some solid evidence that global warming is BS. I think you're off your rocker.

Show me some solid evidence that global warming isn't BS. Cause the ice caps are refreezing the ozone layer has been thin before and weather goes in cycles.

Just now, Kumaresh said:

This topic is much too dangerous for this forum. Inb4 lock :D

or ignore them

8 minutes ago, suits said:

Show me some solid evidence that global warming isn't BS. Cause the ice caps are refreezing the ozone layer has been thin before and weather goes in cycles.

https://climate.nasa.gov

1 minute ago, Kumaresh said:

This topic is much too dangerous for this forum. Inb4 lock :D

I'm tempted to ask for a lock myself. The amount of crazy in the world is scary right now.

17 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yawn.  All show. The major tech companies have their products actually produced in countries that won't really be affected (or not just outright lie) about their effects. The Finance Class & Companies (of which Tech, due to its R&D At Home; Manufacture Away setup, is a major player) are pissed off because they wouldn't be able to rob the States of 100s of Billions. 

When the Tech Companies start talking about putting 10s of Billions into next generation Nuclear development (or even Thorium Reactors), then they're be worth listening to.  

don't just invest into nuclear, thats dumb. research energy storage, liquid salt solar plants (research was shut down because of the financial crisis that hit spain which funded it), stuff like that.

All those companies is companies that have tried to be green.

Its marketing.

In the world today, If you had two products or services that was the exact same, except that one was green and one was not, a lot of people would have taken the green even if it was little bit more expensive.
(not in all types of industries tho)

Its a good thing they are doing tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

When you've got your own branded products to sell & you need to appeal to your audience for publicity

#DanceMonkeyDance

Details separate people.

6 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

"The amount of different viewpoints that I can't cope with because I've been sheltered from the real world."

Says the man quoting fucking Breitbart as his source.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Honestly, if climate change / global warming is real, to the extent that people make a fuss of, and is constantly being talked about - that would be a good thing.  Forced adaptation of the Human body, and requiring evolution of ourselves and many species on this planet.  Probably one of the best things to occur would be for that to happen, though we're still exiting an ice-age, so I rather doubt it.  Though if it were happening - it'd help solve a lot of the problems we'll eventually have with over-population, not to mention it'd make for some nice beach-front property.

12 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

"The amount of different viewpoints that I can't cope with because I've been sheltered from the real world."

Oh no, I can cope with your viewpoint just fine. I can't cope with you ignoring evidence from pretty much every major climate, weather and environment expert on the planet because admitting that we as a species are causing a problem would somehow invalidate your self worth.

You can't possibly be incorrect because your businessman president says so, never mind the hundreds of experts who've trained for decades that are actually testing this stuff and publishing the results for everyone to see. Nah they're all wrong and your businessman president is right.

Its no wonder the world is in such a mess right now, you skeptics won't he happy until everything is gone and even then you'll all still be quoting "muh climate change" and telling everyone they're wrong.

Oh and here's a notion, saying something enough times doesn't make it true works both ways you know. The difference is the people saying its real have evidence to back them up, you skeptics only have each other to parrot the same old arguments off.

5 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

If you read any part of that you would realize that Breitbart was not the source, but sure thing, that somehow invalidates my argument (in the mind of a child).

No but I know exactly what "study" they are quoting: A real gotcha! moment when some conservatives being paid by conflicted lobbyists found a legitimate inconsistency on some of the reported temperature logs. Which in turn was thoroughly clarified as a mathematical adjustment for the lack of precision from old instrumentation and measurements taken.

Yet Breitbart, their source and you continue to pretend math you do not even comprehend is a big conspiracy by the evil, illuminati globalist vampires to cheat the US out of crap fucking manufacturing jobs they're better off not having anyway. That is far more plausible than thousands of scientists all being wrong according to climate deniers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Some people just love to be the minority no matter if its actually true or total BS.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking