What do these security settings do?

I recently got a new router and when setting it up I scanned for potential security problems.

What do the things that say "No" do?

Should I disable it? Does it affect performance?

wifi.PNG.1d6a9a88f1bdcd7a65cddcb4e803e1db.PNG

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

WPS is the physical push button on your router that allows you to quickly connect devices to your network. Because anyone with physical access can press the button, I would leave it disabled for security reasons. It cannot be enabled if SSID broadcast is disabled.

UPnP stands for Universal Plug n' Play (kinda sounds like a joke, but that's actually what it means) and it basically allows devices on your network to automatically see each other. I would recommend keeping that on.

All of your settings look good to me :)

Edit:

I misread that; it's weird how some say enabled and other say disabled but the yes and no stay the same. Anyway, I would disable WPS unless you're not too worried about security, but by running the scan, it makes me think that you do want high security.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

That's Asus router right? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

1 hour ago, njmyers3 said:

WPS is the physical push button on your router that allows you to quickly connect devices to your network. Because anyone with physical access can press the button, I would leave it disabled for security reasons. It cannot be enabled if SSID broadcast is disabled.

UPnP stands for Universal Plug n' Play (kinda sounds like a joke, but that's actually what it means) and it basically allows devices on your network to automatically see each other. I would recommend keeping that on.

All of your settings look good to me :)

Edit:

I misread that; it's weird how some say enabled and other say disabled but the yes and no stay the same. Anyway, I would disable WPS unless you're not too worried about security, but by running the scan, it makes me think that you do want high security.

You're right about WPS but that's not a good description of UPnP. UPnP is basically automatic port forwarding - an application requests a specific port be forwarded to it, and the router either sets it up or denies it (if, for example, something else already is using that port). It's used by almost every type of software, but especially things like multiplayer games that aren't server based, Skype, and torrent software.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

33 minutes ago, Foxxer said:

That's Asus router right? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

You're right about WPS but that's not a good description of UPnP. UPnP is basically automatic port forwarding - an application requests a specific port be forwarded to it, and the router either sets it up or denies it (if, for example, something else already is using that port). It's used by almost every type of software, but especially things like multiplayer games that aren't server based, Skype, and torrent software.

Ok. I will need to leave that on then. Thanks everyone!

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q