Is Stellaris worth getting? (Humble Monthly)

Stellaris is $12 in the Humble Monthly, is the game any good? Is it worth the price?

It is a pretty good game (and a really good deal for that price).

However, they just released a new "Must-Have" (read: very important gameplay changes) paid DLC, so if you get immersed in Vanilla stellaris, you're still gonna have to buy the DLC at full price (which is basically how paradox makes money these days).

So scam-ish, because they want to lure you into buying the DLC, but for the base game it's a great price.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Yes, I got it from Humblebundle as well, great game for $11.

I am not much of a strategy player but I enjoyed Civ and Stellaris is basicaly Civ on steroids.

I don't have any of the DLC, not sure if they are worth it, they are quite expensive. I still enjoy the base game though.

4 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

However, they just released a new "Must-Have" (read: very important gameplay changes) paid DLC, so if you get immersed in Vanilla stellaris, you're still gonna have to buy the DLC at full price (which is basically how paradox makes money these days).

So scam-ish, because they want to lure you into buying the DLC, but for the base game it's a great price.

From what I can tell, Leviathans and Utopia are the only essential DLCs but who knows how much more DLC they'll add in the future. 

I just had a look at CK 2 and EU4, both those games have a ton of DLC and some of them have recently been released despite the base games being 5 years and 4 years old respectively.  

As a hardcore Paradox player i'd advise against it normally- but for the price it's good. If you're into grand strategy however i'd also say take a look at EU4, Hearts of Iron 4, CK2 etc. They will suck hours and hours out of your life (whilst also teaching you loads about the historical period you play in)

CPU: FX-8350 @4.5GHz                                         Monitor: Some cheap one.                                  
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i                                      Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB                          
Motherboard: MSi 970 Gaming AM3+                     Mouse: Some cheap one.
Memory: Corsair Veng Pro 8Gb (2x4Gb) 1866Mhz Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB                 
Graphics Card: MSi AMD Radeon RX580           
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1                                           
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M                              

Stellaris ATM doesn't fill like a finished game, there isn't really too much depth in it as there is in the other older paradox games, but like I said, if you have $12 to spare and you like space games, go for it.

CPU: FX-8350 @4.5GHz                                         Monitor: Some cheap one.                                  
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i                                      Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB                          

3 minutes ago, HindGB said:

As a hardcore Paradox player i'd advise against it normally- but for the price it's good. If you're into grand strategy however i'd also say take a look at EU4, Hearts of Iron 4, CK2 etc. They will suck hours and hours out of your life (whilst also teaching you loads about the historical period you play in)

I've not played any of Paradox's grand strategy games. I've heard that Stellaris is a good one to start with because it starts off as a 4X game and then becomes a grand strategy game. 

Just now, razor767 said:

I've not played any of Paradox's grand strategy games. I've heard that Stellaris is a good one to start with because it starts off as a 4X game and then becomes a grand strategy game. 

they get pretty complicated pretty fast. But from 2 or so years of playing them I've amassed about 1000 hours overall on EU4, HoI4 and Stellaris put together- overall they are absolutely insane games which I rate at least 9/10, just Stellaris isn't the best one (imo).

If you get Stellaris though it'll put you on a path to trying the others. (unless you find history boring because there's a lot, lol)

38 minutes ago, razor767 said:

I played CK2 and EU4.. both of those games have an extremely difficult learning curve. I never got to enjoy those as after 20h or so I always lost interest as I had no idea what to do after a certain point, lack of tutorials... you need to watch a lot of YT to understand many things in those.

Stellaris is far less complex but much easier to pick up and play. That's why I enjoy it so much more despite it to be a cut-down version.

On 01/06/2017 at 9:09 PM, bob51zhang said:

It's possible that they were either only allowed to include the main game or were never informed about the new DLC (considering that they included the now abandoned for a VR game game shoppe keep, I'm putting my money on the latter), but they did at least include a few good games along with ashes of the benchmark.