By passing my dead cousins windows 10 password

steven00o

My cousin died in a car accident, now his mom wants me to bypass his windows 10 password, I realize that I can just take out the HDD but in this instance, I would prefer not too so if anyone could give me a method that would be appreciated 

In the instance the post gets deleted then I understand the reasons 

Is it a local user or has he his hotmail or whatever account linked?

Local users can be bypassed, linked ones not afaik.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

My most honest opinion would be to bin the HDD, I'm sure your cousin would not have liked people looking at his stuff. However, you can use any software like john the ripper to access it. 

Best Regards,

Julian

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, samcool55 said:

Is it a local user or has he his hotmail or whatever account linked?

I feel like its a local user the normal scenario of sorts he just added a simple password there nothing complicated since he was not the most tech savvy guy

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

My most honest opinion would be to bin the HDD, I'm sure your cousin would not have liked people looking at his stuff. However, you can use any software like john the ripper to access it. 

Best Regards,

Julian

I totally understand the reasons but I also realize that I have to respect the 60yr old woman's wishes I am gonna make sure that anything related to private parts is gonna stay hidden but pictures and documents will sadly have to come up 

A local administrator user can take ownership of the folders that belong to microsoft account users.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 6/1/2017 at 9:33 AM, samcool55 said:

totally can if you do it right (not with the following method, and i wont detail how in this thread, but if you wanna know you can pm me)

but to reset his LOCAL password do the following commands have quotes around them, dont type the quotes

boot to recovery and enter command prompt

'copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\'

'copy /y c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe'

restart your computer

press 'shift' 5 times at the login screen

'net user username password'     (replace the username with his username, and replace password with a new password)

exit command prompt

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just activate the elevated administrator account in CMD.

Hardly anybody ever cares enough to lock it.

Make a bootable Linux USB stick and a Win10 USB installer

boot the PC from the Linux stick

grab the non-sensitive files from the user folder

Turn the PC off (or reset it)

boot from the Windows installer

do a fresh install so that the PC can be used again by whoever inherits or buys it

... or at least that's what I'd do with 8.1 or lower, no idea if MS got their act together when it comes to securing personal folders in Win10 as I don't ever work on the latter. 

My condoleances, by the way