AMD Readies 9 Threadripper models

9 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

fair enough, the next question isn't super important, but does these CPUs come with a stock cooler, or is it going to need to be an aftermarket one

I'm not sure any HEDT CPU includes a cooler.  Most AIOs will work with a new bracket (it's a new socket, so new coolers), along with most high-end Air coolers (if they can accepted a new mount).

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'm not sure any HEDT CPU includes a cooler.  Most AIOs will work with a new bracket (it's a new socket, so new coolers), along with most high-end Air coolers (if they can accepted a new mount).

oh I imagine that is true, but you never know :P

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

3 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

oh I imagine that is true, but you never know :P

AMD could include a stock cooler, but I'd kind of be surprised. Those types of CPUs are looking at least $80 USD for a cooler, and a lot of people go AIOs these days.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD could include a stock cooler, but I'd kind of be surprised. Those types of CPUs are looking at least $80 USD for a cooler, and a lot of people go AIOs these days.

I doubt it too, mind you for the 125W CPUs the Wraith Max will do, as it's cool up to 140W, so it's just the 14 cores and up which might not

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

So, AMD has pretty much reinvented the CPU by being the first to have multi-CPUs on a Single Chip, right?

That's certainly one way to smash Moore's Law, though would that be cheating?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

3 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

So, AMD has pretty much reinvented the CPU by being the first to have multi-CPUs on a Single Chip, right?

That's certainly one way to smash Moore's Law, though would that be cheating?

AMD isn't the first to do it. Intel used to slap 2 dual cores to make up early quad cores. IBM's been doing it for a LONG time. It's called MCM.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

AMD isn't the first to do it. Intel used to slap 2 dual cores to make up early quad cores. IBM's been doing it for a LONG time. It's called MCM.

Thanks for the correction :)

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

All I want to know is how much faster will Threadripper be in Adobe, the software industry often lags in development and doesn't take advantage of the new tech.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:22 PM, MysticLTT said:

All I want to know is how much faster will Threadripper be in Adobe, the software industry often lags in development and doesn't take advantage of the new tech.

It's two R7 dies in an MCM, I'm sure we can infer that with some degree of accuracy.

All I want to know is the price. I hate this suspense tactic, it just makes planning difficult.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 6/4/2017 at 10:49 AM, Valermos said:

Eager to see the pricing.

This looks like a nice sweet spot: 

• 1976X 12c/24t 3.6ghz (4.1boost) 125w

I've been looking at that one myself.  Good clock speed, and 4 more cores than the i7 7820X.

9 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

It's two R7 dies in an MCM, I'm sure we can infer that with some degree of accuracy.

All I want to know is the price. I hate this suspense tactic, it just makes planning difficult.

I remember seeing a video where 1800X was 70% faster than my current processor in Cinebench but only 10% more in Premiere Pro, the reviewer concluded it was Adobe's fault.

2 hours ago, MysticLTT said:

I remember seeing a video where 1800X was 70% faster than my current processor in Cinebench but only 10% more in Premiere Pro, the reviewer concluded it was Adobe's fault.

It's Adobe.  At least within operation of the filters and other in-program functions.  Exports are a different issue. Puget System's testing was really eye opening. It's one thing when highest core clock speed effects Gaming because of the nature of the rendering approach, but it's quite sad when Professional programs work a good sight better on your Gaming PC than they do on a >$2000 USD Workstation.  But it's also Adobe we're talking about, where their major media creation programs have spent time running better on an Apple laptop than on the HEDT most use.

The Macromedia acquisition still seems like the worst, for professionals, in tech history. We ended up with all of the problems of both companies and almost none of the benefits.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, Drak3 said:

The new thing about Threadripper/Epyc is the "Infinity Fabric".  Before they were very much just two dies slapped together but this new tech will be able to communicate and work together as if it was a single die.  So they are claiming to have all of the benefits of small dies with none of the drawbacks from multi die setups in the past. 

1 Timothy 1:15

1 hour ago, f22luke said:

The new thing about Threadripper/Epyc is the "Infinity Fabric".  Before they were very much just two dies slapped together but this new tech will be able to communicate and work together as if it was a single die.  So they are claiming to have all of the benefits of small dies with none of the drawbacks from multi die setups in the past. 

Infinity Fabric is also used in Ryzen, it's more a communication protocol than a physical transport medium. The links between the CCX's use the IF and there is an IF between the dies, or more correctly there is a single IF between everything and it's a scale out design. 

For EYPC (Naples) the IF is also used between CPU packages in dual socket systems.

On 2017-06-11 at 5:22 AM, MysticLTT said:

Not that much faster.

Adobe software doesn't scale well with core count.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Infinity Fabric is also used in Ryzen, it's more a communication protocol than a physical transport medium. The links between the CCX's use the IF and there is an IF between the dies, or more correctly there is a single IF between everything and it's a scale out design. 

For EYPC (Naples) the IF is also used between CPU packages in dual socket systems.

Yes I agree. I was not comparing the newly announced CPUs with Ryzen but with the older dual die solutions.  See the post I quoted.

Just now, f22luke said:

Yes I agree. I was not comparing the newly announced CPUs with Ryzen but with the older dual die solutions.  See the post I quoted.

Yep, now I feel stupid. Should have read the quote lol.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep, now I feel stupid. Should have read the quote lol.

For the sake of saving face we could claim that the multiple ccx setup in Ryzen is similar to the multi die solutions coming out of AMD.