Asrock Announces ASRock X370 Gaming ITX/ac, the First Non-Biostar Mini-ITX AM4 Board, and it Comes with Wifi

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11473/asrock-miniitx-x370-gaming-itxac

ASRock has introduced a miniature motherboard for AMD Ryzen microprocessors, one of a few such motherboards in the industry. Despite being very small, the X370 Gaming ITX/ac offers everything that a fairly powerful gaming system might require and its price is not too high.

The ASRock X370 Gaming ITX/ac is based on the AMD X370 chipset and supports all currently available processors in the AM4 form-factor, including A-series APUs as well as all Ryzen CPUs. The motherboard has a digital eight-phase VRM for the CPU designed to guarantee clean power supply (stability, overclocking potential, etc.). According to ASRock, the mainboard can handle DDR4-3200+ memory (assuming that particular modules work well with AMD Ryzen processors). The new platform has two DIMM slots in total.

ASRock's Mini-ITX Motherboard for AMD Ryzen
  X370 Gaming ITX/ac
CPU Support CPUs in AM4 form-factor
AMD Ryzen and AMD A-series APUs
Graphics PCIe 3.0 x16, or integrated in case of APUs
Chipset AMD X370
Memory Two DDR4 DIMM slots
Ethernet 2 × Intel GbE controllers
Display Outputs 2 × HDMI for APUs
Storage 4 × SATA 6 Gbps
1 × M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4 or SATA)
Audio Realtek ALC1220
7.1 channel audio
Creative’s Sound Blaster Cinema 3 enhancing software
USB 5 × USB 3.0 Type-A
1 × USB 3.0 Type-C
5 × USB 2.0
Other I/O 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2
Form-Factor Mini-ITX
MSRP $150 ~ $160

At present, the ASRock X370 Gaming ITX/ac has only one direct rival, the Biostar Racing X370GTN introduced earlier this year. The Racing X370GTN does not have Wi-Fi support, but it has two USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) headers, including one Type-C. Meanwhile, the X370 Gaming ITX/ac seems to have a more advanced VRM for those looking forward overclocking capabilities.

One and a half months ago Biostar introduced the first AM4 mini-itx motherboards for Ryzen. These became pretty popular, considering they were the only AM4 mini-itx boards on the market. If anyone wanted to build an SFF pc using a Ryzen CPU, they were essentially limited to Biostar. However, there were some shortcomings with using this motherboard. For one, many people complained about the bios being pretty bad, with a lot of apparently being horribly translated from a different language. As well, many people complained about it not having wifi. Now, though, Asrock is introducing it's own mini-itx am4 motherboard. This board has wifi built in and also definitely uses a better bios than the Biostar board. It's a little more expensive, but you get some nice extras with it, such as the 8 5 phase vrm design (2 for SoC and 6 3 for CPU itself).

I think that's it's nice that we finally have an am4 mini-itx motherboard from one of "the big 4." What are your thoughts?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I think Biostar should not deserve such hate among people who are shopping for Mobo. 

It took a while, but I'm glad there's finally more competition in this. Wifi is a nice touch with small form factor builds, especially with things like home theater PCs.

3 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

3 phase

Why 3?

Technically 8, though two are for SoC. It looks like it's 6 for the CPU itself. I know it could be like the pro4, but I doubt Anandtech screwed this up.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I think Biostar should not deserve such hate among people who are shopping for Mobo. 

They're still sub par compared to the competition though ;)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

so does it have 1 or 2 Ethernet ports? the pictures do not match a lot of stuff.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

They should have used SODIMM RAM slots instead so that more memory can be installed.

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Why 3?

Technically 8, though two are for SoC. It looks like it's 6 for the CPU itself. I know it could be like the pro4, but I doubt Anandtech screwed this up.

I seriously doubt they're putting an IR35201 on their ITX board. Six Vcore must then be three true phases, and they're most likely going to repeat the doubled components since that's the VRM they already have going on B350. 

1 hour ago, Nimrodor said:

I seriously doubt they're putting an IR35201 on their ITX board. Six Vcore must then be three true phases, and they're most likely going to repeat the doubled components since that's the VRM they already have going on B350. 

I zoomed the pic and seems like it has the same voltage controller (ISL95712) as used on their cheaper B350 boards.

So maybe 3-phases (doubled to 6) for Vcore, + 2-phases for SoC(?)

58 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

53 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

I zoomed the pic and seems like it has the same voltage controller (ISL95712) as used on their cheaper B350 boards.

So maybe 3-phases (doubled to 6) for Vcore + 2-phases for SoC(?)

Hm it is? Maybe I and Anandtech were wrong then. Kinda sucks that they're doing that though :/, especially on a $150 mobo

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Hm it is? Maybe I and Anandtech were wrong then. Kinda sucks that they're doing that though :/, especially on a $150 mobo

Yeah it doesn't really seem to be worth over the Biostar X370GTN, at least with this price... I hope Asus will release some decent Prime/Strix ITX-board soon.

This is almost exactly the same loadout as my asrock z170 board, except 2x HDMI instead of HDMI + DP and an extra Gbe port. I am in the market for one anyway, and thought they might bring out something very similar, so good on ya ASrock, unless someone else brings out an itx x370 board with dual m.2 plus what asrock has already on this board, I'll be buying one when stock is available here. I love the b350 board I have from them too, but need the extra OC options, and this board was pretty much always gonna be a placeholder until x370 mini-itx.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

Yeah it doesn't really seem to be worth over the Biostar X370GTN, at least with this price... I hope Asus will release some decent Prime/Strix ITX-board soon.

Might be worth it if you hate the biostar bios :P 

I think gigabyte is coming out with one soon though, that's probably also worth looking at.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Nimrodor said:

Ahem...

zVg5Qgp.png

ASRock takes pride in their ITX board, lol. I've pushed near 250w through a 6700k on this board, and VRM has not popped yet. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

yet. 

famous last word

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

famous last word

Oh, I am certain it will get the best of me eventually, lol. 

Ahem...

zVg5Qgp.png

ASRock takes pride in their ITX board, lol. I've pushed near 250w through a 6700k on this board, and VRM has not popped yet. 

That's actually... no, you're right. Somehow I glossed over the "gaming" in the name, probably because of comparisons to the Biostar board.

Still, product images have an Intersil logo on the PWM controller, so I'm not holding my breath on this particular model.

Just now, Nimrodor said:

That's actually... no, you're right. Somehow I glossed over the "gaming" in the name, probably because of comparisons to the Biostar board.

Still, product images have an Intersil logo on the PWM controller, so I'm not holding my breath on this particular model.

Yeah, given Ryzen's very small ceiling for overclocking, it's unlikely they would need anything as hefty as an IR35201. Not only that, you can't realistically expect many people to try to keep an 8c/16t CPU cool in most ITX cases when overclocked, so it would make more sense to use a more "realistic" VRM. 

Yeah, given Ryzen's very small ceiling for overclocking, it's unlikely they would need anything as hefty as an IR35201. Not only that, you can't realistically expect many people to try to keep an 8c/16t CPU cool in most ITX cases when overclocked, so it would make more sense to use a more "realistic" VRM. 

True, but you also have to remember that Ryzen 2 is also going to be AM4, and since that's a completely different architecture, it might have a much higher OC ceiling, and/or might need more power.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, MageTank said:

People are still happily recommending overclocking 1700's on ASRock's entry-level heatsinkless mobo because they're "only 65W" CPU's. You think silly little things like cooling are going to stop them?

Just now, Nimrodor said:

People are still happily recommending overclocking 1700's on ASRock's entry-level heatsinkless mobo because they're "only 65W" CPU's. You think silly little things like cooling are going to stop them?

True. We also saw people using the 9590 on those 970 boards... RIP MSI Krait.

30 minutes ago, MageTank said:

True. We also saw people using the 9590 on those 970 boards... RIP MSI Krait.

I had to procure the vrm block for mt crosshair v forumla z board. With 9590 the mobo was getting quite toasty. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11473/asrock-miniitx-x370-gaming-itxac

ASRock's Mini-ITX Motherboard for AMD Ryzen
  X370 Gaming ITX/ac
CPU Support CPUs in AM4 form-factor
AMD Ryzen and AMD A-series APUs
Graphics PCIe 3.0 x16, or integrated in case of APUs
Chipset AMD X370
Memory Two DDR4 DIMM slots
Ethernet 2 × Intel GbE controllers
Display Outputs 2 × HDMI for APUs
Storage 4 × SATA 6 Gbps
1 × M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4 or SATA)
Audio Realtek ALC1220
7.1 channel audio
Creative’s Sound Blaster Cinema 3 enhancing software
USB 5 × USB 3.0 Type-A
1 × USB 3.0 Type-C
5 × USB 2.0
Other I/O 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2
Form-Factor Mini-ITX
MSRP $150 ~ $160

One and a half months ago Biostar introduced the first AM4 mini-itx motherboards for Ryzen. These became pretty popular, considering they were the only AM4 mini-itx boards on the market. If anyone wanted to build an SFF pc using a Ryzen CPU, they were essentially limited to Biostar. However, there were some shortcomings with using this motherboard. For one, many people complained about the bios being pretty bad, with a lot of apparently being horribly translated from a different language. As well, many people complained about it not having wifi. Now, though, Asrock is introducing it's own mini-itx am4 motherboard. This board has wifi built in and also definitely uses a better bios than the Biostar board. It's a little more expensive, but you get some nice extras with it, such as the 8 5 phase vrm design (2 for SoC and 6 3 for CPU itself).

I think that's it's nice that we finally have an am4 mini-itx motherboard from one of "the big 4." What are your thoughts?

ASRock is the specialist for Wi-Fi boards

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol