AutoLock Threads

Tsuki
Go to solution Solved by vanished,

Based on the number of necro threads we see reported, the amount of work it would be to create a decent automated system is more than what it would take to just continue handling them manually.

Edit: Additionally, quite often necros are brand new users created to advertise, so it can be useful to catch them that way.  In an automated system, these would go undetected as the script just hides their posts and moves on.

Ive noticed an increasing number of Necro threads.

Threads that were created back in 2015 or even 2014 and havent had any activity since then, that are suddenly getting commented on for no reason.

I'd love to see a feature where if a thread doesnt get activity for like 6 consecutive months, it gets automatically locked.

this would prevent necroing, and still allow for some of the older threads that are still commonly used (LBGT Community, Anime Club, and a few others).

Thoughts?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

It would need to apply to certain subforums only then, because the builds section allows necroing.

Usually it's like one random person making a single reply, so what if it was like "only bring to front page if topic gets >1 reply" or something like that?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There are good reasons for necroing too. And since this isn't most liberal forum software, you can't apply such things to only certain subforums. It would be forum wide. Just keep reporting those threads and mods will handle them. Its usually new users which do it because they searched the topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

the forum tells you to consider making a new post rather than reviving an old one if the post is old enough. i think that's enough.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Necroposting is one of my pet peeves, that's why I wrote a plugin for all of my forums to auto close threads after X days of no replies.

-KuJoe

Based on the number of necro threads we see reported, the amount of work it would be to create a decent automated system is more than what it would take to just continue handling them manually.

Edit: Additionally, quite often necros are brand new users created to advertise, so it can be useful to catch them that way.  In an automated system, these would go undetected as the script just hides their posts and moves on.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.