Loud CPU cooler

jeremymwilson

Hi all, 

Pretty much ever since I built my pc (and then after changing the case), the CPU cooler has been loud. Every time I open an application in Windows it is noticeably louder. I have taken it out and will clean/reapply thermal paste and put it back in to see if that helps. 

Here are some photos after I removed the cooler and before I removed the paste. The cooler was aligned so that the fan was next to the RAM. Also you can see 2x140mm Corsair fans intake at the front and 1x140mm Be Quiet exhaust at the rear. The case is a Fractal Design Define S.

I often checked temps and the CPU cores were usually in the 30s.  

If anyone has advice, I am all ears. 

Thanks. 

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

Love not hate

Have you tried editing the fan curves? If the fan is stuck at like 80% for some reason a simple software tweak would fix it.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

There is probably an option for fan speed in BIOS, check there. If not, try something like SPEEDFAN to tweak the fan speed. But I think @pelark is on the right track.

28 minutes ago, pelark said:

Have you tried editing the fan curves? If the fan is stuck at like 80% for some reason a simple software tweak would fix it.

I tried setting it to silent in the bios and then tried optimizing all fans, didn't make any difference.

I unplugged the other fans and the gpu to see if it really was the cooler that was so loud. It was. 

Love not hate

So you are sure it's not your case fans? Also, are you using that 55inch 4k tv? If you are trying to game on 4k using iGPU it will be working very hard. Is your 6700k overclocked?

8 minutes ago, NinJake said:

So you are sure it's not your case fans? Also, are you using that 55inch 4k tv? If you are trying to game on 4k using iGPU it will be working very hard. Is your 6700k overclocked?

I checked the rpm of all the fans, the CPU cooler was between 900-1200. And I game using a gtx 1080. Haven't overclocked the CPU, will only do so when I am happy with stock thermals and noise. 

Love not hate

Well if you are unhappy with that particular cooler, and your cpu temps are down in the ~30c range, I'd say you might need to change to a different cooler. I do not have any other personal recommendations other than from Noctua. Or change your computer placement so it's further away from you.

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Well if you are unhappy with that particular cooler, and your cpu temps are down in the ~30c range, I'd say you might need to change to a different cooler. I do not have any other personal recommendations other than from Noctua. Or change your computer placement so it's further away from you.

I've been looking at the dh15 from Noctua and also a twin 140mm aio. Can't move the pc any further away, it's against the wall, about 8 feet away. 

Thanks for all the tips, appreciate it. 

Love not hate

Is it possible the sound from your pc is reverberating off the wall then? Try putting a thin pillow beside the case (but not blocking air flow) and see if that helps?

8 hours ago, NinJake said:

Is it possible the sound from your pc is reverberating off the wall then? Try putting a thin pillow beside the case (but not blocking air flow) and see if that helps?

Nice idea! Will try it

Love not hate

11 hours ago, jeremymwilson said:

I tried setting it to silent in the bios and then tried optimizing all fans, didn't make any difference.

I unplugged the other fans and the gpu to see if it really was the cooler that was so loud. It was. 

Have you tried a different fan? Maybe your fan has a busted bearing or something.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

It might have bad fan. Have you tried running cooler with one of your case fans and coolers' own fan off from another header? You can RMA whole thing if its bad fan. Or just fan, idk how Cryorigs support works.

Just now, pelark said:

Have you tried a different fan? Maybe your fan has a busted bearing or something.

Great mind think alike.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What header are you powering the fan off of? Does stopping the fan with your hand stop the noise?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What header are you powering the fan off of? Does stopping the fan with your hand stop the noise?

7 hours ago, pelark said:

Will do that!

Love not hate

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It might have bad fan. Have you tried running cooler with one of your case fans and coolers' own fan off from another header? You can RMA whole thing if its bad fan. Or just fan, idk how Cryorigs support works.

Great mind think alike.

Thanks will test

Love not hate

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's using the CPU fan header on the mobo.  Good tip re stopping the fan, will test that. 

Great advice from you all, fantastic

Love not hate