Intel X299 CPU's NOT soldered!

asim1999
21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Honestly though I'm surprised that they didn't at least solder the higher end SKUs. The dies should be large enough to make it feasible. Intel has soldered dies around 200 mm^2 in the past. 

29 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

As the dies get smaller, the issue increases.

I believe that @Enderman and @DocSwag know more.

Soldering is definitely possible in the case of Skylake-X, the die is large enough :/

http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I dont get why people get their panties up in a bunch over this. Like if the max temps with a decent cooler are below TJMAX and it doesnt throttle when pinned out then who the fuck cares

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont get why people get their panties up in a bunch over this. Like if the max temps with a decent cooler are below TJMAX and it doesnt throttle when pinned out then who the fuck cares

Obviously people want optimal heat transfer from the CPU die to the heatsink... Otherwise you don't get the best use of your CPU cooler.

So it affects fan speeds, noise levels, overclocking...

What, did you expect to get good overclocks on these? pffffft

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Soldering is definitely possible in the case of Skylake-X, the die is large enough :/

yeah I woulda expected that they woulda soldered everything except the Kaby Lake-X CPUs. I guess not...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Of course Intel are doing this, I mean why wouldn't they want you destroying your warranty and potentially destroying your $2000 CPU just to get those extra 100Mhz. Hey, you broke it Buddy, wanna replacement? Another $2000 please.

Right now Intel be like

c3305497a908aed0e1792f5d6be8bb85b8878081

laughing all the way to the bank at the rich chumps who keep throwing thousands of dollars at them.

Remember people, 5 years ago $2000 would have got you the screamingly fastest balls to the wall gaming PC on the market, these days it will barely buy you a CPU.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

yeah I woulda expected that they woulda soldered everything except the Kaby Lake-X CPUs. I guess not...

I think that the 14+ core CPUs will be soldered tho.... They are probably doing this on the 12- core parts so that they can be (somewhat) competitive with AMD. AMD's CCXs allow them to make cheaper dies, Intel doesn't use CCXs so they have to cut a few corners to make the CPU a bit more affordable :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that the 14+ core CPUs will be soldered tho.... They are probably doing this on the 12- core parts so that they can be (somewhat) competitive with AMD. AMD's CCXs allow them to make cheaper dies, Intel doesn't use CCXs so they have to cut a few corners to make the CPU a bit more affordable :/

That affordability you speak about doesn't translate to lower prices at the tills though does it. The shareholders get it while for customers prices just keep going up and up.

Its not just Intel either, I feel that the hardware manufacturers have deliberately manipulated the gaming hardware market into a position where they can add an extra 0 to the price simply because it flashes and has "Gaming Ultra +" printed on the box.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Welp... looks like Phase Change cooling it is. xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

People that overclock, people that care about longevity, people that experiment with various form factors, people that like to run lower fan RPM's for better acoustics. Basically, the majority of consumers.

Also, define "doesn't throttle when pinned out". I can make any CPU throttle when running newer Linpack, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

34 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

What's this talk about the die being large enough about?

What about the Core2Duo E8600?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Vode said:

What's this talk about the die being large enough about?

If the die is too small it can't be soldered ;)

23 minutes ago, MageTank said:

People that overclock, people that care about longevity, people that experiment with various form factors, people that like to run lower fan RPM's for better acoustics. Basically, the majority of consumers.

Also, define "doesn't throttle when pinned out". I can make any CPU throttle when running newer Linpack, lol.

First a majority of customers dont give two shits about overclocking and longevity as OC doesnt give you back worth what you put into it and even at max temps CPUs still last years, well past a normal upgrade cycle. Secondly, these chips are going to most likely run hot and a huge majority of the owners will have liquid cooling to keep them cool (soldered or not) so noise will not be that big of an issue. Form factor is about all I can agree with, but any hot chip is hard to run in a small form factor, even though it would be cool.

And for throttling when pinned out, I am talking real world usage, not synthetic garbage.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

First a majority of customers dont give two shits about overclocking and longevity as OC doesnt give you back worth what you put into it and even at max temps CPUs still last years, well past a normal upgrade cycle. Secondly, these chips are going to most likely run hot and a huge majority of the owners will have liquid cooling to keep them cool (soldered or not) so noise will not be that big of an issue. 

And for throttling when pinned out, I am talking real world usage, not synthetic garbage.

Woah, take it easy man. If the majority of costumers didn't care about overclocking, they wouldn't be buying these specific SKU's. If all they cared about was core counts, they would be investing in Xeons. Secondly, there are tons of consumers that care about longevity. Have you even lingered in this sub-section at all? Plenty of threads asking if OCing will kill components, and people asking for "specific lifespans" of overclocked components. I spent a large majority of my time here convincing people that vDIMM cannot kill IMC's, so believe me, people do care.

Also, Intel begs to differ with your claims. They even list 70C as a "deteriorating thermal load" for their CPU's: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html (look for their tCase study under their TTVT profiles). Thermal runaway doesn't cease to exist just because a maximum junction limit is imposed. Your CPU will draw more power the hotter it gets, and in doing so, it will diminish it's lifespan. If you think people do not care about this, you are being naive.

Also, liquid cooling does absolutely nothing if the temperatures it reaches after thermal equilibrium are still too high. You certainly won't see any CLC's cooling these chips well enough under heavy loads, and custom loops will certainly require some effort to dump that heat somewhere. If you think liquid cooling alone is enough to keep them cool "soldered or not", then you've clearly never tried with the 7700k. I know people that have, and even on custom loops, it's held back without a delid when overclocked. @done12many2 That loop of yours is mighty strong, come provide your thoughts on this subject.

Either way, there is no getting around the fact that at stock clocks, without being soldered/delidded, these chips are going to throttle hard under "real world" loads. After all, it's still 14nm Skylake/Kaby, it's not like we got another magical die shrink. As I've said before, I highly doubt the higher end SKU's won't be soldered, as Intel's engineers would have to know better by now. If it's a single large monolithic die, the risk from soldering would be nearly nonexistent. If they went with an MCM design like AMD is doing with Threadripper, then yields would be higher, and they would probably be able to better transfer the heat across the entirety of the IHS itself. We won't know until some psychopath delids the biggest, baddest X299 chips to confirm or disprove this theory. 

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

WWe won't know until some psychopath delids the biggest, baddest X299 chips to confirm or disprove this theory. 

Keep an eye on Der8auers youtube channel. He's already delidded KabyLake X, and one Skylake X.

Hopefully he get his hands on the 18core version as well. It would be idiotic for intel not to at least Solder that monster.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

Keep an eye on Der8auers youtube channel. He's already delidded KabyLake X, and one Skylake X.

Hopefully he get his hands on the 18core version as well. It would be idiotic for intel not to at least Solder that monster.

Oh, I've seen that video, and I'll definitely be waiting for another. On a side note...

My friend brought up a very funny point. Intel is bringing back the 980XE with the 7980XE. EVGA just showed off an X299 motherboard that looks very X58 Bloodrage-ish. We've almost come full circle, lol. 

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I doubt soldering actually costs that much more tho :P 

If they don't do it on the 14+ core CPUs though that'd be really weird. It's already strange seeing the 6-12 core parts not being soldered, if those aren't then idk.

Someone on the r/amd subreddit was telling me that Intel didn't actually stop soldering their CPUs because of smaller dies, but rather because they're using thinner substrates (to save costs) which can bend from thermal expansion of the solder. It does kinda make sense if you think about the fact that Intel has been using thinner substrates recently and that the old Pentiums were around 130 mm^2 or so but were soldered. At the same time though, it was on the r/amd so I'm not sure if they were making it up or not, as they could be biased :P.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, MageTank said:

Woah, take it easy man. If the majority of costumers didn't care about overclocking, they wouldn't be buying these specific SKU's. If all they cared about was core counts, they would be investing in Xeons. Secondly, there are tons of consumers that care about longevity. Have you even lingered in this sub-section at all? Plenty of threads asking if OCing will kill components, and people asking for "specific lifespans" of overclocked components. I spent a large majority of my time here convincing people that vDIMM cannot kill IMC's, so believe me, people do care.

Also, Intel begs to differ with your claims. They even list 70C as a "deteriorating thermal load" for their CPU's: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html (look for their tCase study under their TTVT profiles). Thermal runaway doesn't cease to exist just because a maximum junction limit is imposed. Your CPU will draw more power the hotter it gets, and in doing so, it will diminish it's lifespan. If you think people do not care about this, you are being naive.

Also, liquid cooling does absolutely nothing if the temperatures it reaches after thermal equilibrium are still too high. You certainly won't see any CLC's cooling these chips well enough under heavy loads, and custom loops will certainly require some effort to dump that heat somewhere. If you think liquid cooling alone is enough to keep them cool "soldered or not", then you've clearly never tried with the 7700k. I know people that have, and even on custom loops, it's held back without a delid when overclocked. @done12many2 That loop of yours is mighty strong, come provide your thoughts on this subject.

Either way, there is no getting around the fact that at stock clocks, without being soldered/delidded, these chips are going to throttle hard under "real world" loads. After all, it's still 14nm Skylake/Kaby, it's not like we got another magical die shrink. As I've said before, I highly doubt the higher end SKU's won't be soldered, as Intel's engineers would have to know better by now. If it's a single large monolithic die, the risk from soldering would be nearly nonexistent. If they went with an MCM design like AMD is doing with Threadripper, then yields would be higher, and they would probably be able to better transfer the heat across the entirety of the IHS itself. We won't know until some psychopath delids the biggest, baddest X299 chips to confirm or disprove this theory. 

If people do care that much I just havent seen it. Thats just my ignorance I guess. I know people will care about OC killing their CPU but that more of over volting it but if people actually do care and ask about longevity then thats my bad. I have seen some 2600ks and 3770ks still alive that are OCd and held at 100c for at least 12hours a day everyday and they are still running strong and its been years. It is a concern but I have yet to see one bite the dust, but, I know of only 5 CPUs that are reaching almost max that are still in operation so my sample is just because of bias. If it happens more often then that is just my ignorance. 

With cooling I havent had any experiencing cooling the 7700k mostly because I had no interest in the chip and just didnt care. If its that hard to cool then my bad. But what is considered cool and are these being OC? Or is it seen with non-OC chips as well?

Like I said, if its my ignorance than I can take the blame. I just have a bias after watching person after person that I know buy HEDT, throw a decent cooler on it and call it a day. I dont know any of them that OCed or even cared much about life or temps.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

47 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

First a majority of customers dont give two shits about overclocking and longevity as OC doesnt give you back worth what you put into it and even at max temps CPUs still last years, well past a normal upgrade cycle. Secondly, these chips are going to most likely run hot and a huge majority of the owners will have liquid cooling to keep them cool (soldered or not) so noise will not be that big of an issue. Form factor is about all I can agree with, but any hot chip is hard to run in a small form factor, even though it would be cool.

As pointed out by @MageTank, being at or near TJunction at stock clocks and voltages is not the same as being near TJunction with an overclock / higher voltages.  The amount of current run though the chip at at stock voltages pales in comparison to that of higher voltages.  Everyone on LTT thinks that voltages kill CPUs and that's not the complete truth at all.  It's the current behind the voltages that kills CPUs.  Voltage is nothing more then potential.

As heat increases, so do voltage requirements.  As voltage increases, so does current (amperage) for any given load.  As voltage and current increase, so does heat.  See how the cycle goes full circle?  The one thing we can try to do to break this cumulative cycle of one adding to the other is to increase cooling capacity and keep temps under control.  If we cool it better, voltage requirements drop and the rest of the stuff in that cycle follows suit.  

A chip run at 1.45v with 90c constant temps (lower then throttle point) will die a hell of a lot faster then a chip run at 1.2v with 90c constant temps given the same load type.  The amount of current running through the 1.45v example would be insane compared to that of the 1.2v example.  

Think of a CPU as a fuse in a circuit.  Run too much current through that fuse and it's going to pop regardless of temp.  

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It probably doesn't, but cost is the only thing I can think of that could possibly make them not solder the CPUs...

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If they don't do it on the 14+ core CPUs though that'd be really weird. It's already strange seeing the 6-12 core parts not being soldered, if those aren't then idk.

If the 14+ core CPUs aren't soldered, they should be sold delidded xD

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Someone on the r/amd subreddit was telling me that Intel didn't actually stop soldering their CPUs because of smaller dies, but rather because they're using thinner substrates (to save costs) which can bend from thermal expansion of the solder. It does kinda make sense if you think about the fact that Intel has been using thinner substrates recently and that the old Pentiums were around 130 mm^2 or so but were soldered. At the same time though, it was on the r/amd so I'm not sure if they were making it up or not, as they could be biased :P.

I wouldn't really trust the AMD subreddit for information on Intel CPUs TBH :D

And let me explain why I think that this is not true: 

• Ivy bridge/Haswell/Devils Canyon/Broadwell weren't soldered and they had "normal" substrates
  • Broadwell-E also has a thinner substrate, but it is soldered
  • Skylake-X has 2 substrates so I don't think that the thinner substrate(s) would have been an issue TBH :P30030604864l.jpg
  • I trust der8auer more than a random guy on the AMD subreddit: http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

18 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The substrate was made thinner to make laptops and shit thinner.  It had nothing to do with cost savings.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If the die is too small it can't be soldered ;)

I know people have been saying that. But the C2D E8600 is 102mm2 and soldered.

Is it about the subrate too?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

If people do care that much I just havent seen it. Thats just my ignorance I guess. I know people will care about OC killing their CPU but that more of over volting it but if people actually do care and ask about longevity then thats my bad. I have seen some 2600ks and 3770ks still alive that are OCd and held at 100c for at least 12hours a day everyday and they are still running strong and its been years. It is a concern but I have yet to see one bite the dust, but, I know of only 5 CPUs that are reaching almost max that are still in operation so my sample is just because of bias. If it happens more often then that is just my ignorance. 

With cooling I havent had any experiencing cooling the 7700k mostly because I had no interest in the chip and just didnt care. If its that hard to cool then my bad. But what is considered cool and are these being OC? Or is it seen with non-OC chips as well?

Like I said, if its my ignorance than I can take the blame. I just have a bias after watching person after person that I know buy HEDT, throw a decent cooler on it and call it a day. I dont know any of them that OCed or even cared much about life or temps.

The 7700k is harder to cool due to multiple factors. It's fin pitch is different than any previous Intel CPU, it's clock speeds are higher (both stocked and OC'd) than most previous architectures, and it's voltage/current tolerance is far different than anything we've ever seen before. Factoring all of this in, we get a very hot product if zero precautions are taken. So much so, that it's the first time that I've personally seen Intel come out and say "Don't OC our unlocked CPU's". 

Even with a custom loop, your overclocking is quite limited when working with a non-delidded 7700k. Thermals have a very direct impact on clock stability, and can help make higher overclocks stable with less voltage. This is why we get concerned when we see products that we know are going to run hot (due to exact same architecture, similar base clock speeds, and magnitudes higher core counts) but the same inferior TIM is being used. 

If you want another example of people caring about thermals, look no further than AVX. It's extremely efficient math, and as an instruction set, it's very versatile. Yet, with that level of efficiency (meaning more of your CPU resources are being used), you are bound to see higher thermals as a result. I believe it was DIRT that experimented with AVX in a game, and people were not happy with their temperatures being higher as a result. The end-user doesn't factor in that more heat doesn't automatically equate to a bad thing, as it's not just a sign of poor cooling, but that it can also be a sign that you are actually using more of your CPU. Because of this, most developers stay away from using instruction sets that may stir up a commotion for consumers and their "pseudostable" overclocks. This will end up with me ranting about software stagnation, so i'll try to leave it at that. 

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The substrate was made thinner to make laptops and shit thinner.  It had nothing to do with cost savings.

I thought it was due to superior signalling. Can't remember where I read that, but I do recall it being brought up somewhere. Either way, don't use power tools on these thin substrates when securing heatsinks. God knows we don't need another "bend-gate", lol.

Just now, Vode said:

I know people have been saying that. But the C2D E8600 is 102mm2 and soldered.

Is it about the subrate too?

Idk. It could have to do with the manufacturing process as well.... The E8600 is 45nm vs the 7700K which is 14nm 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Of course Intel are doing this, I mean why wouldn't they want you destroying your warranty and potentially destroying your $2000 CPU just to get those extra 100Mhz. Hey, you broke it Buddy, wanna replacement? Another $2000 please.

Right now Intel be like

laughing all the way to the bank at the rich chumps who keep throwing thousands of dollars at them.

Remember people, 5 years ago $2000 would have got you the screamingly fastest balls to the wall gaming PC on the market, these days it will barely buy you a CPU.

Don't forget Skulltrail. $1500 a piece and required two and another $650 for the motherboard. If account for inflation it puts it at roughly $4200.