Intel X299 CPU's NOT soldered!

asim1999

30030604864l.jpg

he world renowned overclocker der8auer has confirmed that Intel's upcoming Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X CPUs will not be using a soldered IHS, a first for an Intel High-end desktop (HEDT)  platform. 

This presents a number of issues, the largest of which being the thermal performance of these new CPUs, especially when overclocked. It is already well known that non-soldered Intel CPUs can have huge thermal benefits when running with an aftermarket thermal interface material, creating the modern craze known as delidding for Intel CPUs. 

With Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X, Intel has decided to use a thermal compound/thermal interface material (TIM) to transfer heat from the CPU to the CPU's integrated heat spreader (IHS), allowing Intel to save time and money when manufacturing these new CPUs. 

The problems that arise from using non-soldered CPUs occur because the TIM used by Intel will not have the same thermal conductivity as a directly soldered CPU, which will cause Intel's CPUs to run hotter, especially when overclocked.  

This is the first time that Intel has not soldered their high-end desktop CPUs, a move which will no doubt force overclockers to delid their "premium" CPU in order to achieve the same thermal efficiency as Intel's last generation hardware. This move will no doubt be seen negatively by PC enthusiasts, especially after they learn how expensive a proper delidding tool can be.  

Is this some kind of joke? high prices for these CPUs and they are still using crappy TIM? Glad my 5820K is soldered tho

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_skylake-x_and_kaby_lake-x_cpus_will_not_be_soldered/1

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

1 minute ago, asim1999 said:

Is this some kind of joke?

Nope, this is Intel's way of keeping product margins high while gimping on pretty much the tiniest of stuff like TIM, no matter how important it is.

Ye ole' train

There's no point to soldering, IMO. The risks don't outweigh the benefits.

Hopefully they add enough TIM this time though.

Edit: Apparently X299 CPU's are large enough to warrant soldered heatspreaders. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

NO WORRIES! Just get der8auer's new Delid Die Mate X!! 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I guess the point of the post is not about soldering itself, but Intel having a history with poor thermal performance of their non-soldered CPUs (Haswell, Kaby Lake for example), whether due to poor TIM or IHS contact with the die itself. This might indicate issues for people who want to overclock.

It's a good-to-know info but doesn't mean anything until real-world testing is conducted.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Hopefully they add enough TIM this time though.

The temperatures of CPU with soldered on IHS are far better as metal is a far better thermal conductor than any TIM currently available. Just look at the clock speeds+temps managed by Sandybridge with its soldered on IHS+32nm node compared to its successors.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Aren't Xeons soldered? If I'm dropping $2000 on a CPU, I'd want it soldered.

Looking forward to see the temps on that 18-core.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

@asim1999 video of Der8bauer delidding Skylake X and Kabylake X.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Lol oh no. They just don't care at all. 2 months from now there will be an Intel statement saying "to prevent higher temps don't overclock your X299 CPUs".

Unfortunately it is because of the tolerance of us the consumer that they get away with this. If people had a shred of a backbone and made enough noise they'd soon be improved.

People justified standard i7s not being soldered because die was too small and could crack. What will it be now?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

1 minute ago, JuztBe said:

People justified standard i7s not being soldered because die was too small and could crack. What will it be now?

Rule #1 Choose your battles.

Rule #2 You will never satisfy all parties involved. 

Rule #3...

Spoiler

Image result for for the greater good

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

14 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

Come on all you Intel lovers got nothing bad to say about this crap from Intel? Shit if this was AMD you would all be spitting blood in your comments.

Nah, their fanboys... 

Those temps are going to be crazy. The 7700k gets pretty hot when overclocking (without de-lid). Now imagine increasing the TDP by 50%, doubling/tripling the cores and trying to keep that cool. De-lidding is likely going to be mandatory for overclocking these things and that means losing your warranty.

I wonder what has changed since Broadwell-E and Haswell-E etc. were all soldered in the past.

1 minute ago, Gibbons said:

I wonder what has changed since Broadwell-E and Haswell-E etc. were all soldered in the past.

Expansion and contraction of solder was found to possibly cause breakage of the core as micro-fissures formed.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Expansion and contraction of solder was found to possibly cause breakage of the core as micro-fissures formed.

That issue is a risk for Broadwell-E as well. It was deemed an acceptable risk then but not now for Skylake-X.

edit - I wonder if the package is thinner and that is what could cause higher failures.

hmm void warranty on $2000 cpu or have my house burn down ... thanks intel, delidding has been shown to lower temps by 30c i cant wait to see what it does for the 18 core 

Just now, Gibbons said:

That issue is a risk for Broadwell-E as well. It was deemed an acceptable risk then but not now for Skylake-X.

As the dies get smaller, the issue increases.

I believe that @Enderman and @DocSwag know more.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

As the dies get smaller, the issue increases.

I believe that @Enderman and @DocSwag know more.

Honestly though I'm surprised that they didn't at least solder the higher end SKUs. The dies should be large enough to make it feasible. Intel has soldered dies around 200 mm^2 in the past. 

If you want people that know more on the subject than me, @MageTank, @done12many2, and @Lays are probably better people to ask. Most of what I know is from the thing der8auer wrote on overclocked.net :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

People, calm down a little. We do not have any confirmations on the larger Skylake-X CPU's being unsoldered as well. For all we know, this could be something that is exclusive to the 8c and below SKU's. 

41 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

That "justification" was real. Physics doesn't lie. This on the other hand, seems to be Intel being blatantly cheap. I refuse to believe that the bigger X299 SKU's are not soldered, as AVX512 would kill those things if they were not. We already see throttling under AVX2 loads on stock TIM on normal consumer-grade SKU's. Multiply that core count by 4.5 and you are bound to see extreme thermals, especially if it's a single monolithic die. Yields on these things have to be low.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Isn't Ryzen soldered?

Seems to work fine. What's the risk?

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Honestly though I'm surprised that they didn't at least solder the higher end SKUs. The dies should be large enough to make it feasible. Intel has soldered dies around 200 mm^2 in the past. 

If you want people that know more on the subject than me, @MageTank, @done12many2, and @Lays are probably better people to ask. Most of what I know is from the thing der8auer wrote on overclocked.net :P 

I could see issues if someone was to start pushing these things hard with AVX-512. It would explain the TDP jump as well.

Edit: dang @MageTank beat me to it.

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Isn't Ryzen soldered?

Seems to work fine. What's the risk?

Yes it is, also runs cooler than Kabylake which isn't.

The 7700K can drop temps as much as 23-30 degrees if you delid it and replace the TIM on it.

The fear is that because of the increase TDP on Skylake X + number of cores + possibly bad TIM = very hot temps.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q