$20 CPU Cooler

EnderCat
5 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

Okay guys I have $20 and my CPU is over heating (AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor) so anyone got a good recommendation on what to cool this toaster with for $20?

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 could be a solution, or almost any aftermarket cooler at $ 20.

Cryorig M9i/M9a probably the best cooler under $20

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Cryorig M9i/M9a probably the best cooler under $20

yeah I have looked at it and you are not wrong it's $20 if you don't include the $7 shipping which I can't afford but thanks

7 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 could be a solution, or almost any aftermarket cooler at $ 20.

owned that it sucked, especially on Intel because of the shitty mounting, i owned that one

4 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

owned that it sucked, especially on Intel because of the shitty mounting, i owned that one

I have a TX3 on mounted on a i5 760 and it performs fairly well giving temps around 40-45 degrees celsius on idle.

I think it doesn't suck. It's a good quite cooler to replace a stock cooler with nothing more.

12 minutes ago, Knobin said:

I have a TX3 on mounted on a i5 760 and it performs fairly well giving temps around 40-45 degrees celsius on idle.

I think it doesn't suck. It's a good quite cooler to replace a stock cooler with nothing more.

the performacne is okay, but the mounting sucks, from the beginning the mounting knobs were bending a bit when i wanted to install it and made it really hard to install again when you remove it to clean dust out of the heatsink. At the end it was impossible so i had to get a new cooler

18 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

the performacne is okay, but the mounting sucks, from the beginning the mounting knobs were bending a bit when i wanted to install it and made it really hard to install again when you remove it to clean dust out of the heatsink. At the end it was impossible so i had to get a new cooler

Yeah, the push pin mounting solution is really bad. I never re-seated a push pin cooler before, but it was a bit challenging to install nevertheless.

first off is this a good cooler? they are having a sale on NCIXUS.com that is right in my price range. also is NCIXUS.com a trustworthy site to buy parts from?

2 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

first off is this a good cooler?

Yes

also is NCIXUS.com a trustworthy site to buy parts from?

Yes.

first off is this a good cooler? they are having a sale on NCIXUS.com that is right in my price range. also is NCIXUS.com a trustworthy site to buy parts from?

yes and yes

its decent, it will keep most chips cool enough and its quiet

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yes

Yes.

1 minute ago, Mkander99 said:

yes and yes

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

its decent, it will keep most chips cool enough and its quiet

is there another cooler it would be comparable to?

Just now, EnderCat said:

is there another cooler it would be comparable to?

Hyper 212 Evo

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes. Yes. 

I've got my 4690K@4.2GHz with 1.225V. Temps around the 70C mark. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

thanks everyone but it turns out the sale ends tommarrow so looks like I am not getting one

6 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

is NCIXUS.com a trustworthy site to buy parts from?

Yes. Linus used to work for NCIX in Canada, so unless you're implying he's a shady businessman... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

18 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

The Pure Rock Slim is an OK cooler. honestly a Evo212 would be better IMO after using it for a while. I think a better comparison to the 212 would be the Pure Rock or Shadow Rock slim as the Pure Rock Slim uses a 93mm fan whereas the Pure rock and Shadow Rock both use 120mm fans, like the 212, and feature 4 heat pipes, like the 212.

but the Silent Wings fans are MUCH quieter.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

take a look at the Deepcool Gammaxx 400, performs the same, cost lest

4 hours ago, Knobin said:

Yeah, the push pin mounting solution is really bad. I never re-seated a push pin cooler before, but it was a bit challenging to install nevertheless.

the problem is that this heatsink is too heavy for a proper push pin install, with the intel stock cooler its totally fine doe

Okay so I have a amd fx 8150 and with the stock cooler it is overheating so is there any ways to cool it down while I wait for a new cooler? maybe turning down the voltage or something? it's not overclocked

Under clock the cpu, if you keep the same clock speed and turn down the voltage the system will just become unstable 

You can try lowering the voltage, but too much will cause instability. Try lowering it step by step and stress it with AIDA64 for about 5 mins after so. The minimum stable voltage is what you should stay with

You don't necessarily need to lower the clock multiplier since there's headroom for undervolting. If there just so happens to have no headroom at all or it's still overheating when undervolted, then you will have to sacrifice the clock multiplier.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Under clock the cpu, if you keep the same clock speed and turn down the voltage the system will just become unstable 

how should I under clock it and at what voltage and stuff should I use?