[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

2 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Hey, stop. We only talk about TDP as if it matters when AMD is using more of it.

#mahpowerbill

/s, kind of....

You really hate Intel, don't you?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

$220 R5 1600 vs $389 i7 7800X
$330 R7 1700 vs $599 i7 7820X

Coupled with the shitty base clocks, the expensive motherboards and 140W TDP, this is simply worse than current AMD offerings.

Not if you are an enthusiast or if you care about AVX and gaming performance. TDP =/= Power Consumption BTW, so power draw will be similar. And who cares about base clocks? Those are enthusiast CPUs, most people who buy them will overclock them and won't GAF about power consumption.......

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not really. I mean i'm currently running an intel CPU in my main rig. I'd be lying if i said I didnt have a preference for AMD but its more like i've had a preferance for performance per dollar. As soon as FX stayed around to long and AMD couldnt convince me performance per dollar was on there side i personally hopped ship. Just the last time I was on LTT the forum ran so blue/green that if you even pretended to say something nice about AMD it was slander. I just find the power/heat of the new intel Chips funny because that was a big argument back in the day. If they perform well then I couldn't give a damn if it uses more power.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Those who aren't even in the market often have the loudest opinions.  It only happens in the PC world.  lol.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not if you are an enthusiast or if you care about AVX and gaming performance. TDP =/= Power Consumption BTW, so power draw will be similar. And who cares about base clocks? Those are enthusiast CPUs, most people who buy them will overclock them and won't GAF about power consumption.......

People seems to forget that AMD crippled AVX on their new chips.  This indeed removes a lot of need for a higher TDP not to mention the fact that you don't have that option.  Meanwhile, Intel has jumped up to AVX 512.  They took the opposite approach and gave us more power.  

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Those who aren't even in the market often have the loudest opinions.  It only happens in the PC world.  lol.

People seems to forget that AMD crippled AVX on their new chips.  This indeed removes a lot of need for a higher TDP not to mention the fact that you don't have that option.  Meanwhile, Intel has jumped up to AVX 512.  They took the opposite approach and gave us more power.  

People are very shallow and seem to very rarely look at the meanings  behind the numbers.

3 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

As far as I know they measure their TDP differently so it's really an apples to oranges comparison.

Based on reviews, the power draw between the 1800X and a similar Intel 8-core CPU isn't very different.

Power draw is a very tricky thing, it doesn't scale linearly with frequency or cores and is affected by heat causing chip leakage.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

For me the Ryzen 5 1600 is still the better choice and I think many people will get this CPU because of its price and X299 motherboards probably cost way more then a B350 one. In my opinion, Intel should sell 4 core 4 threads i3s and 4 cores 8 threads i5s next generation. Otherwise I'm not sure how competitive their mid-end chips will be.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

48 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well I hope those 'enthusiasts' like delidding CPUs because your not going to overclock non soldered CPUs much with a base TDP of 140W

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Just now, patrick3027 said:

Well I hope those 'enthusiasts' like delidding CPUs because your not going to overclock non soldered CPUs much with a base TDP of 140W

WRONG. If Intel doesn't use too much adhesive, the CPUs won't have any issues with thermals :P

I'm pumped. These things along with Threadripper and Ryzen are going to make for a great year in CPU's. Too bad the 8-core part doesnt have 40 PCI-E lanes as that's the one I'd be most interested in but I need mah PCI-E lanes...

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Just now, Masada02 said:

Too bad the 8-core part doesnt have 40 PCI-E lanes as that's the one I'd be most interested in but I need mah PCI-E lanes...

You do get another 20 or so lanes from the chipset tho.... :D

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You do get another 20 or so lanes from the chipset tho.... :D

Orly? Well nevermind then...

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Just now, Masada02 said:

Yep, not sure how many, but you do get 16-20 more lanes from the chipset AFAIK ;)

3 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Yeah, 28 from the CPU and 24 from the chipset.  Not too shabby.  

44 from CPU for the bigger chips + 24 from the chipset.  68 lanes baby!!

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, 28 from the CPU and 24 from the chipset.  Not too shabby.  

44 from CPU for the bigger chips + 24 from the chipset.  68 lanes baby!!

or 48 lanes if you get a 7800X/7820X :D

Wait a minute, 

As we go say above 6 cores the target market becomes video editors and other workstation uses. At that level core clocks and ipc don't matter as much as they do at the lower end. So people would prefer buying ryzen as it is not trash and gives you the necessary cores. 

Whereas on the kaby lake x side, I beleive nobody is going to buy a 7740x or even a 7640x for that matter as it requires a motherboard that is clearly going to be more than half the processor's price. 

Intel should have thought this out more. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

As we go say above 6 cores the target market becomes video editors and other workstation uses.

Enthusiasts also buy 6+ core CPUs and enthusiasts care about IPC and clock speeds.....

BTW, for video editing and workstation? X299 is WAY better if:

1. You need more PCIe lanes
  2. You need more RAM
  3. You need more than 16 cores
  4. A good balance of single- and multicore performance

Don't get me wrong, Ryzen is awesome for workstation use, but it doesn't make X299 pointless :)

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Enthusiasts also buy 6+ core CPUs and enthusiasts care about IPC and clock speeds.....

2. You need more RAM

Don't get me wrong, Ryzen is awesome for workstation use, but it doesn't make X299 pointless :)

Well, how much is the market for enthusiasts?

And for your 4 points, threadripper is rumoured to support quad channel ddr4 and have 44 pcie lanes. If you nred more than 16 cores, get 2 cpus. Your 4th point is subjective. 

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

And for your 4 points, threadripper is rumoured to support quad channel ddr4 and have 44 pcie lanes. If you nred more than 16 cores, get 2 cpus. Your 4th point is subjective. 

So you'll be going with Threadripper when it releases?

I forgot AVX BTW. If you want good AVX performance Intel is way better.

3 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

The majority of those who buy X299 CPUs are enthusiasts.

5 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

And for your 4 points, threadripper is rumoured to support quad channel ddr4

With 4 IMCs, so memory clocks will suck

5 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

If you nred more than 16 cores, get 2 cpus.

No, latency is too high and 2 CPUs also cost more

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

I'll keep my organs, thanks.

So you will get a loan to afford one, nice :D

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

2. You need more RAM

As someone who does 3D modeling, the extra ram is appreciated.

A 100 dollar premium over the 1800x seems reasonable for the extras you get.

22 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So you'll be going with Threadripper when it releases?

I don't intend to sell my kidney