[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

I dont know why everyone is freaking out so much since almost all of these CPUs just look like Xeon E5 v4 with higher clock speeds at lower price overall all the specs already exist. Think about this for a minute

E5-2697 v4   18/36 (core/thread) 2.3-3.6ghz, 40 PCI lanes $2700
E5-2697A v4 16/32 (core/thread) 2.6-3.6ghz, 40 PCI lanes $2900
E5-2690 v4    14/28 (core/thread) 2.6-3.5ghz, 40 PCI lanes $2000

E5-2687W v4 12/24 (core/thread) 3.0-3.5ghz, 40 PCI lanes $2200
E5-2640v4     10/20 (core/thread) 2.4-3.4ghz, 40 PCI lanes $1000

So the chips listed above are broadwell not skylike we know the perfomance diff is not that huge beteen the two and its already 14nm. Next lets look at the price the differance to get a server cpu is going to be upto 1000$ more then the conumer one so your woundering where intel is saving money all these chips support dual socket so they remove that dual socket support and that drops the price also when you run dual sockets its super important that the cpu's are running at the same speed thats why you dont see over clocking on dual socket systems very much hard to get both chips to be at the same speed and both drop in perfect so now intel is able to do different changes to different chips to get them to the higher clock speeds lastly look at PCI lanes which you are woundering how they adding more lanes from. Well the trick is in the removal of support for dual socket now the lanes that were used for syncing the two cpu's to communicate with each other is not needed and those lanes go back to the CPU for normal devices And there you have it intel has had all of this for months and just did not share.

12 minutes ago, wojons said:

I dont know why everyone is freaking out so much since almost all of these CPUs just look like Xeon E5 v4 with higher clock speeds at lower price overall all the specs already exist. Think about this for a minute

So the chips listed above are broadwell not skylike we know the perfomance diff is not that huge beteen the two and its already 14nm. Next lets look at the price the differance to get a server cpu is going to be upto 1000$ more then the conumer one so your woundering where intel is saving money all these chips support dual socket so they remove that dual socket support and that drops the price also when you run dual sockets its super important that the cpu's are running at the same speed thats why you dont see over clocking on dual socket systems very much hard to get both chips to be at the same speed and both drop in perfect so now intel is able to do different changes to different chips to get them to the higher clock speeds lastly look at PCI lanes which you are woundering how they adding more lanes from. Well the trick is in the removal of support for dual socket now the lanes that were used for syncing the two cpu's to communicate with each other is not needed and those lanes go back to the CPU for normal devices And there you have it intel has had all of this for months and just did not share.

Going by the changes in Skylake-X vs Skylake-S there'll be a roughly 15% IPC gain over these server parts, plus with turbo 1GHz higher they will be significantly faster at multi and single core.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

So Intel is finally coming with a counter attack of some sort :D 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

retoast, has been posted sevral times before in much better style and formating.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

retoast, has been posted sevral times before in much better style and formating.

Yeah I realise, I am new here...

Thanks Anyway

10 minutes ago, KatoGamez said:

So I might be alittle late for the party but i had just seen an article the 18 core processor in the new "X" lineup

Original Article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/30/intel-core-i9-extreme/

That i9 recently rumoured or announced,I saw that exact article like 1-2 hrs ago xD,Seems like a Ryzen Threadripper killer. Cheaper, ones are 2 more new i9's,the 7940x 14C 32T and the 7960x 16C 32T and the 18 core is a "XE" processor ( weird ) it is 7980XE,no i9 except the 7900X has been fully detailed on that website or probably anywhere...

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

That i9 recently rumoured or announced,I saw that exact article like 1-2 hrs ago xD,Seems like a Ryzen Threadripper killer,for cheaper,and 2 more new i9's,the 7940x and the 7960x and the 18 core is a "XE" processor ( weird ) it is 7980XE,no i9 except the 7900X has been fully detailed on that website or probably anywhere...

Like Who Is Gonna Need 18 Cores!?!

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

That i9 recently rumoured or announced,I saw that exact article like 1-2 hrs ago xD,Seems like a Ryzen Threadripper killer,for cheaper,and 2 more new i9's,the 7940x and the 7960x and the 18 core is a "XE" processor ( weird ) it is 7980XE,no i9 except the 7900X has been fully detailed on that website or probably anywhere...

cheaper? the 18 core is $2000, and the other chips with more then 10 cores are over $1000. i havent seen an exact price for threadripper but i doubt its going to be more expensive.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

cheaper? the 18 core is $2000, and the other chips with more then 10 cores are over $1000. i havent seen an exact price for threadripper but i doubt its going to be more expensive.

I meant to say that the other 2 i9's were cheaper,sorry for the bad english if there is any

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

7 minutes ago, KatoGamez said:

Like Who Is Gonna Need 18 Cores!?!

Video Editors,Definately Not Gamers,Maybe Extreme People and Definately Linus xD It is like a Intel Xeon E5-2699 V3 for $2k less or something,since if im right,the E5-2699 V3 Is still a $3.5K or $4K CPU

2 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

. (Isn't this the same or more than IPC gain we saw Skylake to Kabylake?)

we saw no IPC increase from Skylake to Kabylake. none at al.

Builds:

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, wojons said:

It's why they're not priced any lower than they are. It would cannibalise Xeon sales. Then again, Xeons are also priced too high, we'll see what Epyc will do to those.

Ye ole' train

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Intel has some catching up to do in the TDP department lol

its not AMD that are the fire makers anymore lol

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

Yay for competiition :D:D:D  now give me those lower prices for r5 1600/1700.

haaaaa no. wont happen. they are already undercutting Intel.

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The more I look at this lineup the more I am confused.

So the i6-7640x and i7-7740x's are what? For them to justify $242 and $339 for still 4c/4 and 4c/8t CPUs is slightly bothering me. I mean, ya I don't suspect them to give the fucking things out but they should both been at least $40 cheaper. Same clock speeds as Kaby, what could they have possibly done? Nothing. I swear I'll want to punch anyone with a cpu that is Devils Canyon or newer asking to upgrade to these... 

i7-7800x should of been $40 cheaper also... 

i7-7820x and i9-7900x is a good start... especially the i7-7820k but then a $400 PRICE JUMP???? WHY??? Drop the the i9-7900x to $800. i9-7920x to $1000, i9-7940x to $1,200, i9-7960x to $1,400 and the i9-7980XE (wtf is this name) to $1,600. Then we got ourselves a lineup. Nope, I'm more confused than anything that they dropped the price of their 8c/16t and 10c/20t, KEPT THE LOWER END THE SAME PRICE then pulls this $2,000 BS again.

OHHH Not to fucking mention that I doubt we'll see an X299 board for less than $150 and that is REALLY being generous with the price.

x299 is going to be expensive as hell. lets hope AMD dont mess up threadripper lol.

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

der8auer is gonna be rich from selling all these delid kits. 

he will be rolling it it, without a de-lid i doubt these chips will run at acceptable temps. especially not if they use the same shit that Kabylake does -_- 

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Platform adoption and we're going to get reams of articles saying "7740k is the best gaming CPU".  Watch for it.

that moment when the motherboard becomes the most expensive part of your gameing system

1 hour ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

Yeah... that was the 6 Core SKU (7800X), I wonder what's the case with the 18 Core. People spend over a grand to a cpu and then find out that its OC-potential is notable thermally bottlenecked.

I sort of get it why they don't use solder on the mainstream socket anymore if there's some deeper technical reasonings behind it. But on the HEDT platform where cpus have higher TDP and huge die sizes, I don't see the point of not using proper thermal interface.

im starting to think that its going to have problems at stock speeds even with an NH-D15 with all three fans at max. 

Builds:

Spoiler

got to mention it here but i bet Intel are pissed about AMD haveing already claimed the X399 for their next gen HEDT lol

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

got to mention it here but i bet Intel are pissed about AMD haveing already claimed the X399 for their next gen HEDT lol

So angry they decided to use normal TIM instead of soldering their high-end chips. :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

FINALLY ! A PROPER enthusiast-grade cpu . None of this 140W BS.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Updated the OP with more stuff regarding the use of TIM and IPC gains.

$220 R5 1600 vs $389 i7 7800X
$330 R7 1700 vs $599 i7 7820X

Coupled with the shitty base clocks, the expensive motherboards and 140W TDP, this is simply worse than current AMD offerings.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

So angry they decided to use normal TIM instead of soldering their high-end chips. :P

Really makes you wonder if Intel wants AMD to take their money.

Interesting but annoying

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

less L3 cache

6 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

similarly. And the 7800X, well, sure, it'll overclock, but those stock speeds aren't anything to write home about. Same with the cache.

But the 7800X has a 4x larger L2 cache :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

$220 R5 1600 vs $389 i7 7800X
$330 R7 1700 vs $599 i7 7820X

Coupled with the shitty base clocks, the expensive motherboards and 140W TDP, this is simply worse than current AMD offerings.

Hey, stop. We only talk about TDP as if it matters when AMD is using more of it.

#mahpowerbill

/s, kind of....

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015