[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11464/intel-announces-skylakex-bringing-18core-hcc-silicon-to-consumers-for-1999

If you're looking for the strangely positioned X299 4 core parts I have another thread.

Welcome to the era of 12 cores and 24 threads being 'low core count'

Capture.JPG.c77078c3ade116a944687b0e6f4b7acf.JPG

I was skeptical about those high turbo speeds in the leaks but they appear to be true. These things are absolute monsters, compared to the 6950X which tubo-ed to 3.5ghz and 4.0ghz boost this is an 800mhz and 500mhz improvement on the equivalent 10 core part. I wonder what the turbo breakdown per number of active cores is.

Shame to see that 40 lanes is only available starting at $1000, last gen it was $617 6850K to get the full 40.

The old lineup

Spoiler

Capture.JPG.fac492f8127aa63d5a092f67e72c51ff.JPG

Comparison with enthusiast Ryzen

As people predicted the i7-7820K competes directly with the Ryzen 7 1800X

Capture.JPG.bdbb2c54f051e77a8b50ca3767e5b9af.JPG

The High-core-count chips

Little official details on the 2 flagship chips, only prices announced so far. However going by the leaks being as accurate as they are...

Capture.JPG.974264192424bb2d094f38b1169ba666.JPG

Anandtech notes that the silicon these top 3 are harvested from appears to be a 20 core die.

It is clear that there are repeated segments: four rows of five, indicating the presence of a dual ring bus arrangement. A quick glance might suggest a 20 core design, but if we look at the top and bottom segments of the second column from the left: these cores are designed slightly differently. Are these actual cores? Are they different because they support AVX-512 (a topic discussed later), or are they non-cores, providing die area for something else? So is this an 18-core silicon die or a 20-core silicon die? We’ve asked Intel for clarification, but we were told to await more information when the processor is launched. Answers on a tweet @IanCutress, please.

A response to Threadripper?

Kinda.

Anandtech notes that Skylake-X was only ever expected to be up to 12 cores, however as the industry started to hear rumors of Threadripper Intel had to react.

When AMD announced ThreadRipper at the AMD Financial Analyst Day in early May, I fully suspect that the Intel machine went into overdrive (if not before). If AMD had a 16-core part in the ecosystem, even at a lower 5-15% IPC to Intel, it would be likely that Intel with 12-cores might not be the halo product anymore. Other factors come into play of course, as we don’t know all the details of ThreadRipper such frequencies, or the fact that Intel has a much wider ecosystem of partners than AMD. But Intel sells A LOT of its top-end HEDT processor. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 10-core $1721 part was the bestselling Broadwell-E processor. So if AMD took that crown, Intel would lose a position it has held for a decade.

So imagine the Intel machine going into overdrive. What would be going through their heads? Competing in performance-per-dollar? Pushing frequencies? Back in the days of the frequency race, you could just slap a new TDP on a processor and just bin harder. In the core count race, you actually need physical cores to provide that performance, if you don’t have 33%+ IPC difference. I suspect the only way in order to provide a product in the same vein was to bring the HCC silicon to consumers.

This is why the 2 HCC chips don't have finalised specifications. Intel is waiting for the Threadripper specs to drop.

This means that Intel is going to have to compete with those sorts of numbers in mind: if AMD brings ThreadRipper out to play at around 140W at 3.2 GHz, then the two Core i9s I listed have to be there as well.

Show me the money (Cache)

Intel have tweaked their cache hieracy again, this means that like Skylake-S (read i7-77xx) the L3 cache is reduced and L2 cache increased. The L3 now acts like a pseudo-victim cache with pre-fetching. This increased lower level cache means that the cache miss rate, which slow down operations are reduced and the cache hit rate is increased.

ELI5: IPC is increased over Skylake-S

Anandtech predicts around 11-18% IPC increase. This is more than a recent generational leap, Broadwell --> Skylake was ~3% gain, Skylake --> Kabylake was 0% gain.

The good element of this design is that a larger L2 will increase the hit-rate and decrease the miss-rate. Depending on the level of associativity (which has not been disclosed yet, at least not in the basic slide decks), a general rule I have heard is that a double of cache size decreases the miss rate by the sqrt(2), and is liable for a 3-5% IPC uplift in a regular workflow. Thus here’s a conundrum for you: if the L2 has a factor 2 better hit rate, leading to an 8-13% IPC increase, it’s not the same performance as Skylake-S. It may be the same microarchitecture outside the caches, but we get a situation where performance will differ.

Other stuff

AVX-512 instructions supported.

Turbo boost 3.0 supported.

Anandtech predicts we'll see all products from both sides by the end of the summer.

The launch date should be sooner rather than later for the LCC parts, although the HCC parts are unknown. But no matter what, I think it's safe to say that by the end of this summer, we should expect a showdown over the best HEDT processor around.

Overclocking-ness

Unfortunately it looks like Intel has gone for TIM rather than solder for the IHS.

Spoiler

Intel's Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X CPUs will not be soldered

Heavy stuff before 9am here in the UK, probably missed a ton or misinterpreted some stuff, let me know and I'll update it :D 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

140W TDP vs 95 for the 8 core, "just" 28 PCIe lanes from the CPU, costs $100 more than an 1800X not factoring in the money you're going to spend on a way more expensive X299 board, less L3 cache...

What? The 7820X isn't competing with the 1800X. It'll compete with whatever AMD brings out with Threadripper since that'll be priced similarly. And the 7800X, well, sure, it'll overclock, but those stock speeds aren't anything to write home about. Same with the cache.

I have a feeling Threadripper's going to rip Intel a new one and it won't be just threads.

Ye ole' train

8 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

140W TDP vs 95 for the 8 core, "just" 28 PCIe lanes from the CPU, costs $100 more than an 1800X not factoring in the money you're going to spend on a way more expensive X299 board, less L3 cache...

What? The 7820X isn't competing with the 1800X. It'll compete with whatever AMD brings out with Threadripper since that'll be priced similarly. And the 7800X, well, sure, it'll overclock, but those stock speeds aren't anything to write home about. Same with the cache.

I have a feeling Threadripper's going to rip Intel a new one and it won't be just threads.

I guess its a competitor if you look at the product stack as it stands. Intel as a gap at the $500 mark so the 1800X lines up with a processor above it for now.

9 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Only factoring the CPU, yes they are competing. Since AMD appears to have the better features, they are obviously winning the price slot.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

IIRC he was running 22-core Xeons originally but I think he may have switched to a 6700K or something for the higher clocks since it didn't scale really beyond 8 threads.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Intel has some catching up to do in the TDP department lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yay for competiition :D:D:D  now give me those lower prices for r5 1600/1700.

I was expecting the 8 core to be around 650.00, especially because it only has 28 PCIe lanes.

27 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

you forgot the fact that its quad channel DDR 4, and higher base RAM speeds (probably about the same OC capacity) not to mention Optane support, although HEDT/Server environments aren't really going to use it

16 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

delidded.thumb.PNG.7764a5ed48daf8bb30fe6a92a13b7b77.PNG

So Skylake X is not soldered... 

huh...

Ohh and Kabylake X is not soldered as well... 

uh huh....

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

20 minutes ago, mikat said:

18 cores at 3.5+ Ghz for only 2k$? almost sounds too good to be true, super nice for datacenter applications that don't need ECC memory, like cheap render farms :)

I think you forgot a /s buddy

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Sad part is... it'll sell. Already seeing my good o' Aussie streamers praising it. Yeah, 16c/32t from AMD may have 2c/4t less and be slower in speed but fucking hell I don't think it'll cost more than $1,200. That's being on the high end also...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

21 minutes ago, mikat said:

18 cores at 3.5+ Ghz for only 2k$? almost sounds too good to be true, super nice for datacenter applications that don't need ECC memory, like cheap render farms :)

If I was building a render farm and price was a huge concern, for 2000.00 I could buy four 1700s which would probably render faster and have 720.00 left over.

The more I look at this lineup the more I am confused.

So the i6-7640x and i7-7740x's are what? For them to justify $242 and $339 for still 4c/4 and 4c/8t CPUs is slightly bothering me. I mean, ya I don't suspect them to give the fucking things out but they should both been at least $40 cheaper. Same clock speeds as Kaby, what could they have possibly done? Nothing. I swear I'll want to punch anyone with a cpu that is Devils Canyon or newer asking to upgrade to these... 

i7-7800x should of been $40 cheaper also... 

i7-7820x and i9-7900x is a good start... especially the i7-7820k but then a $400 PRICE JUMP???? WHY??? Drop the the i9-7900x to $800. i9-7920x to $1000, i9-7940x to $1,200, i9-7960x to $1,400 and the i9-7980XE (wtf is this name) to $1,600. Then we got ourselves a lineup. Nope, I'm more confused than anything that they dropped the price of their 8c/16t and 10c/20t, KEPT THE LOWER END THE SAME PRICE then pulls this $2,000 BS again.

OHHH Not to fucking mention that I doubt we'll see an X299 board for less than $150 and that is REALLY being generous with the price.

24 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

huh...

uh huh....

Commence the hotness.

Ye ole' train

39 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Intel has some catching up to do in the TDP department lol

They clearly do that to acomplish a high clockspeed ... I guess for the fanboy statement "but Intel clocks higher, ergo is faster/better" .

But if it's really draws 1.5 times the power than Ryzen in the end (TDP can't cmpared 1:1) than I'm hyped how "Ryzen 2" will kicks Intel's butt again xD since I guess we will see "just improved" Ryzen chips with better overclock ability and baseclocks with it .

Intel just has a architechture which allows high clocks it would be dump if they wouldn't crank up the clocks due higher TDP, marketing wise it would kill these chips right before the release if it would had nearly the same clocks as Ryzen.

31 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

huh...

uh huh....

Well anyone will need some serious watercooling setups for these to keep them to burn your house down.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

So the i6-7640x and i7-7740x's are what? For them to justify $242 and $339 for still 4c/4 and 4c/8t CPUs is slightly bothering me. I mean, ya I don't suspect them to give the fucking things out but they should both been at least $40 cheaper. Same clock speeds as Kaby, what could they have possibly done? Nothing. I swear I'll want to punch anyone with a cpu that is Devils Canyon or newer asking to upgrade to these... 

Marketing and trying to claw back loses on chips with only 4 functional cores. So yeah nothing really makes sense for the normal HEDT consumer space.

1 minute ago, Narnash said:

They clearly do that to acomplish a high clockspeed ... I guess for the fanboy statement "but Intel clocks higher, ergo is faster/better" .

But if it's really draws 1.5 times the power than Ryzen in the end (TDP can't cmpared 1:1) than I'm hyped how "Ryzen 2" will kicks Intel's butt again xD since I guess we will see "just improved" Ryzen chips with better overclock ability and baseclocks with it .

Inte just has a architechture which allows high clocks it would be dump if they wouldn't crank up the clocks due higher TDP, marketing wise it would kill these chips right before the release if it would had nearly the same clocks as Ryzen.

You could argue that their IPC is higher so the gap isn't as big as it looks as Intel gets more done per clock.

9 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

i7-7800x should of been $40 cheaper also... 

i7-7820x and i9-7900x is a good start... especially the i7-7820k but then a $400 PRICE JUMP???? WHY??? Drop the the i9-7900x to $800. i9-7920x to $1000, i9-7940x to $1,200, i9-7960x to $1,400 and the i9-7980XE (wtf is this name) to $1,600. Then we got ourselves a lineup. Nope, I'm more confused than anything that they dropped the price of their 8c/16t and 10c/20t, KEPT THE LOWER END THE SAME PRICE then pulls this $2,000 BS again.

OHHH Not to fucking mention that I doubt we'll see an X299 board for less than $150 and that is REALLY being generous with the price.

Agreed, the 7900x should have been 750.00 - 800.00, an extra 2 cores and 16 PCIe lanes doesn't justify a price jump that high.  I'm glad that the 8 core is cheaper at least, even if it has less threads now.

Also I really don't understand Kaby lake x's existence.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Agreed, the 7900x should have been 750.00 - 800.00, an extra 2 cores and 16 PCIe lanes doesn't justify a price jump that high.  I'm glad that the 8 core is cheaper at least, even if it has less threads now.

OH DON'T YOU WORRY MAN. I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!. So you know how the i7-6850k exist? Basically an i7-6800k with more PCIe lanes and higher clock speed. Intel don't worry, I'm looking for a job if you need someone for marketing. Listen carefully... RELEASE A (still following me?) OK! RELEASE A i9-7935X (because the 5 really lets people know it is better) FOR $800 AND GET THIS! THE ONLY BENEFIT FOR A SMALL SUM OF $200 IS 16 EXTRA PCIe LANES!!!

Like I said, I'm looking for a job.