Samsung 960 PRO driver missing?

Hi everybody!

Hope you guys can help me out with this...

Here's the situation: 

I just bought a 960 PRO 1TB, installed it and cloned my old drive on it. Windows boots just fine, everything works.

Then the benchs... in theory it should read at 3.500mb and write at 2.100mb.

Mine does 2.500mb read and 1.900mb write so it called my attention...

Then i go to device manager and i found this:

nvme.thumb.png.5e9ac20e842541fb316aeba465bb4b75.png

As you can see the nvme controller is installed, but the drive shows as "disk drive"

I've installed magician and samsung nvme drivers 2.2 before the m.2 swap...

When i check the "disk drive" driver, it shows as generic driver, vendor microsoft... Hardware id says "samsung 960..." Weird right?

Tried UserBenchmark just for fun, and it does not recognise this "disk drive" thing as well...

Does anyone have a similar issue???

Specs:

z270i Asus strix

i7 7700k

Dominator platinum 32gb

m.2 960 PRO 1TB

Windows 7 64bits ultimate

1080ti Asus strix

Windows 7 on Kabylake probably a problem there

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Clean install windows 10.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

update your os

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Clean install windows 10.

Well... I use W7 because i want to use it...

Do you guys really think that with my specs i dont know that i'll have to go through drivers issues???

I know that W10 will have zero issues with the newest hardware, but i just dont like W10 and i'm trying to make it work on W7...

1 minute ago, roblesaturcamilo said:

Do you guys really think that with my specs i dont know that i'll have to go through drivers issues???

I know that W10 will have zero issues with the newest hardware, but i just dont like W10 and i'm trying to make it work on W7...

It's probably because you cloned instead of clean installing properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

That's what i'm talking about, positive and helping attitude...

That would be a good start Enderman, i'll definetely give it a try...

thank you bro

9 minutes ago, roblesaturcamilo said:

I know the pain, but Microsoft were adamant (read: douchebags) about pushing Windows 10 adoption to the point that they purposefully dropped support on the newest hardware on Windows 8.1 and earlier.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

they purposefully dropped support on the newest hardware on Windows 8.1 and earlier.

I know right? I mean... I've got everything working, performing the way is supposed to...

One more time i'll have to battle a litle bit until i get it working properly...

Do you guys remember that everybody said and keeps saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to get W7 working on z270 and kaby lake and usb 3 and this and that....

Look at me now, and tell me it's impossible!

I just have one flaw in the device manager and is JUST THE NAMING of the m.2, everything else is working 100% fine

5 minutes ago, roblesaturcamilo said:

I know right? I mean... I've got everything working, performing the way is supposed to...

One more time i'll have to battle a litle bit until i get it working properly...

Do you guys remember that everybody said and keeps saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to get W7 working on z270 and kaby lake and usb 3 and this and that....

Look at me now, and tell me it's impossible!

I just have one flaw in the device manager and is JUST THE NAMING of the m.2, everything else is working 100% fine

More power to you man.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

14 minutes ago, roblesaturcamilo said:

I'm pretty W7 doesn't come with an NVME driver by default but you've added Samsung's so hopefully no issue there.  (At least from a lack of driver anyway.)

Idk why it's showing up like that it shows as a 960 Pro for me.  

Best guess is something to do with it being on W7.  

Btw, I'd suggest doing a clean install rather than using Samsung's utility to clone to a new drive.  Or at least if you do use their migration utility that you keep an eye out for any possible issues even very subtle ones.  

I'd cloned from my 850 Pro to my 960 Pro (512GB version) using the samsung migration utility but I had a few issues like my computer not going to sleep or shutting down properly a few times and a few other things that I forget which seem to have mostly been fixed by a clean install of W10.  

I can't say for sure that the cloning caused the issues I had but it's possible so I wanted to let you know of my suspicions.  

If all you're noticing is it has a generic name instead of more specifically identifying the 960 Pro then I suppose there may be nothing to worry about but I can't be certain.   

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.178539f284d10c22f9a38425167397dd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.33a7f1c99b26f4e5033e74cb9f2de4ab.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.547518b87b1f82fa03aad8424ed0eff7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e78638cbb3aee4f9fd0784912f9725fb.jpeg

13 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

You can ask @Bleedingyamato. He has a 960 Pro.

I wish I could help more but my best guess is it may be because he's using it with W7.

Thankfully if he's saying it works then it may just be a minor mystery why it shows up like that in the device manager rather than a serious problem to worry about.  

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Given a few issues I'd had which may or may not have been related to having cloned from my 850 Pro instead of just doing a clean install in the first place you may be correct.  It's certainly possible at least.  

I mean if you're getting the correct speed from your SSD I don't see the problem here :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I mean if you're getting the correct speed from your SSD I don't see the problem here :P

i know right? :)

6 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

More power to you man.

thank you bro :P

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Given a few issues I'd had which may or may not have been related to having cloned from my 850 Pro instead of just doing a clean install in the first place you may be correct.  It's certainly possible at least.  

I'll give it a try though... Tomorrow, with a cleaner mind, i'll go though the whole process and keep you guys updated...

If i get it right, i'll be the one who beated Microsoft's crap right? LOL :P

1 minute ago, roblesaturcamilo said:

i know right? :)

thank you bro :P

I'll give it a try though... Tomorrow, with a cleaner mind, i'll go though the whole process and keep you guys updated...

If i get it right, i'll be the one who beated Microsoft's crap right? LOL :P

Tomorrow is good.  Whenever my computer isn't 100% it stresses me out like crazy.  Getting some rest and a refreshed perspective definitely helps.  

Beat MS?  Dare we dream of such a wonderful feat?  ?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Beat MS?  Dare we dream of such a wonderful feat?

LOL :P 

Yeah.. i shouldn't get too cocky about that...

#DavidVsGoliath