System for Game development

Go to solution Solved by Harker1993,

Simon Roth, a indie gamedev from the UK has recently written a nice rundown of what a nice rig for game development would be at the moment: https://www.patreon.com/posts/11148687
I would suggest reading it ;)

Hello,

I am C# developer and am into webapps and mobile app development(majorly android), want to start into game development using unity3d with C# scripting. Want to get a new rig for that because my laptop is not holding up with the softwares i need to use mainly Visual studio, unity 3d.

Would it be better to build my own rig or get a prebuilt system.

i wanted to build a workstation but there are a lot of options and whenever i settle for one part the other seems  incompatible or an imperfect match.

CPU i chose was 7700k but after seeing few of your videos thought of extreme series 6800k(should i look at no. of core or cpu clock speed??)

motherboards should i get c612 chipset based or something else,

does 1080 does the work or i should go for  a quadro????

there is a lot of confusion

so can you help me out with the right combination of cpu motherboard and gpu that can help me take things off the floor

2 minutes ago, kkk26 said:

Hello,

I am C# developer and am into webapps and mobile app development(majorly android), want to start into game development using unity3d with C# scripting. Want to get a new rig for that because my laptop is not holding up with the softwares i need to use mainly Visual studio, unity 3d.

Would it be better to build my own rig or get a prebuilt system.

i wanted to build a workstation but there are a lot of options and whenever i settle for one part the other seems  incompatible or an imperfect match.

CPU i chose was 7700k but after seeing few of your videos thought of extreme series 6800k(should i look at no. of core or cpu clock speed??)

motherboards should i get c612 chipset based or something else,

does 1080 does the work or i should go for  a quadro????

there is a lot of confusion

so can you help me out with the right combination of cpu motherboard and gpu that can help me take things off the floor

the quadro will bring you nothing of use.

a 1080 will suffice. maybe be a bit overkill. a 1070 with 8gb of vram would do it too.

whats your budget ?

do you work with multiple screens ? what resolutions ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

You don't need a quadro. Why not Ryzen?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

gaming developer need gaming computer. what else do you need to know?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, givingtnt said:

the quadro will bring you nothing of use.

a 1080 will suffice. maybe be a bit overkill. a 1070 with 8gb of vram would do it too.

whats your budget ?

do you work with multiple screens ? what resolutions ?

my budget is around $2.5-3k and my using two screens with 1920X1080

the main concern is the combination of motherboard and cpu to pick

if i am left with something i will try to upgrade that too.

6 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

gaming developer need gaming computer. what else do you need to know?

but i am new to the field

i have been an app developer but not games

i am trying to learn and work on this

21 minutes ago, kkk26 said:

but i am new to the field

i have been an app developer but not games

i am trying to learn and work on this

just get a mid range card and a good quad core or 6 core CPU.

Personally I would get a ryzen 1700 and overclock it.

You dont need a 1080ti, you just need a card that is around statistical mode on steam's hardware survey but also gives you the latest DirectX. If you get a decent card you should only need to upgrade when a new DirectX or Vulcan comes out

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Depending on the game you will make and what features you will need in Unity I strongly recommend a i7 for heavy multithreaded tasks, and a 1060 and upward graphics card. A good SSD goes also a long way, and also as a personnal preference, you may want to make your computer as quiet as possible to work in tranquility.

1 minute ago, AngryFishLady said:

Depending on the game you will make and what features you will need in Unity I strongly recommend a i7 for heavy multithreaded tasks, and a 1060 and upward graphics card. A good SSD goes also a long way, and also as a personnal preference, you may want to make your computer as quiet as possible to work in tranquility.

which i7 to choose?

7700k or 6800k

does this configuration seems fine to work with for next couple of years.

Asus X-99 EWS mobo

i7 6800k

gtx 1070

32 gbs of crosair vengance 3000mhz

i am still confused whether to choose 7700k over 6800k though??

1 hour ago, kkk26 said:

does this configuration seems fine to work with for next couple of years.

Asus X-99 EWS mobo

i7 6800k

gtx 1070

32 gbs of crosair vengance 3000mhz

i am still confused whether to choose 7700k over 6800k though??

Good config imo, but why 32 gb of ram ?

1 minute ago, AngryFishLady said:

Good config imo, but why 32 gb of ram ?

what do you mean by "why 32 gb ram"

should i increase that?

i am currently using 16 gb 2133 Mhz and it doesnot seem enough the system hangs some times

5 minutes ago, kkk26 said:

what do you mean by "why 32 gb ram"

should i increase that?

i am currently using 16 gb 2133 Mhz and it doesnot seem enough the system hangs some times

I feel like it's way too much for no reason. 8-16gb is more than enough, if you have hang moments it can be due to many things, but it's only ram if your ram is saturated.

2 hours ago, AngryFishLady said:

I feel like it's way too much for no reason. 8-16gb is more than enough, if you have hang moments it can be due to many things, but it's only ram if your ram is saturated.

should i go for 7700k or 6800k and why?

• 2 weeks later...

is it worth considering ryzen 1700x for the same requirement?? why or why not??

On 6/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, Harker1993 said:

Simon Roth, a indie gamedev from the UK has recently written a nice rundown of what a nice rig for game development would be at the moment: https://www.patreon.com/posts/11148687
I would suggest reading it ;)

thanks for the suggestions

this helped a lot in getting the system

my three month confusion came to a solution and i built my system today.

got a ryzen 7 1700x