Case stock fan controller or motherboard controlled?

Go to solution Solved by Marcseli,

connect it to your mobo. fan controllers are there in case you dont have enough fan headers.

Hi, guys! I'm planning to get myself a custom gaming rig soon but I'm on a tight-ish budget so the components I've picked are more towards the budget side:

My custom rig component list

Of all the parts I have picked, I'm still hesitant on the PC casing. More specifically, the fans.

The case that I have picked is the Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass Edition.

The P400s comes with a 3 speed fan controller and that made me wonder. Is the fan controller necessary or should I just connect the fans to the motherboard so that it can be monitored automatically and be adjusted to the needed speed by itself? (Or maybe we can connect to both so that it can work by itself but we can still override it if necessary? o.O)

Sure, I get that the P400s is marketed for a more silent casing and people use it to tune down the fan speed so that it can be quieter, but I feel like the sound dampeners on the case is enough for me (besides, I'm not going to do OC anyways)

PS. I have seen a lot of comments online that people are usually having 5/6 fans on their pc (including the cpu fan, I think?) and wondering if they should have some connected to the Mobo and some to the controller which makes sense to me, but I'm most probably gonna have 3 case fans only (2 front, 1 back) and an additional CPU fan (Hyper 212 turbo)

Tl;dr - Connect fans to case stock 3 speed fan controller or motherboard controlled?

connect it to your mobo. fan controllers are there in case you dont have enough fan headers.

My name Jeff

4 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

I see, so the controller is basically useless then O.o if only the case comes with the sound dampeners and without the controller, seeing a button without any functions makes me want to make full use of it. Oh well~

Thanks!

Just now, dennissssss said:

I see, so the controller is basically useless then O.o if only the case comes with the sound dampeners and without the controller, seeing a button without any functions makes me want to make full use of it. Oh well~

Thanks!

If you want a "budget" case with sound dampening, then the pure base is the way to go. It also has tempered glass!

My name Jeff

2 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

If you want a "budget" case with sound dampening, then the pure base is the way to go. It also has tempered glass!

Looks nice! Unfortunately, there aren't any Be Quiet brands here in Malaysia.. But I'll keep that in mind just in case I see one in the future

Looks nice! Unfortunately, there aren't any Be Quiet brands here in Malaysia.. But I'll keep that in mind just in case I see one in the future

Is amazon available in malaysia?

My name Jeff

1 minute ago, Marcseli said:

Is amazon available in malaysia?

Nope :/

Nope :/

That sucks. If anything look for resellers from ebay or something.

My name Jeff

Just now, Marcseli said:

That sucks. If anything look for resellers from ebay or something.

Will do, thanks again! 

Will do, thanks again! 

Np take care man

My name Jeff

3 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

Np take care man

Likewise :D 

I would recommend any other mobo than Gigabyte if you are going to use mobo for controlling fans. Gigabyte isn't very good with fans. You get one PWM header and their own software sucks (pr has sucked in past) with controlling both 3pin and PWM fans.

Also, be Quiet! cases don't have amazing airflow either. So if you want cooling performance prior to quiet operation, look for alternative.

In all, case fan controls are good when you need to select from few presettings, and want to select when to use them. Most modern cases come with hub instead of controller so that you can use mobo but connect enough fans to fill the system.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 5/30/2017 at 4:02 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

I would recommend any other mobo than Gigabyte if you are going to use mobo for controlling fans. Gigabyte isn't very good with fans. You get one PWM header and their own software sucks (pr has sucked in past) with controlling both 3pin and PWM fans.

Also, be Quiet! cases don't have amazing airflow either. So if you want cooling performance prior to quiet operation, look for alternative.

In all, case fan controls are good when you need to select from few presettings, and want to select when to use them. Most modern cases come with hub instead of controller so that you can use mobo but connect enough fans to fill the system.

I see, thanks for letting know! I'll keep that in mind :)