Which cooler for Q9650 @+4.0GHz

Keyser Malik

Hi, guys! I have an E0 stepping Q9650 and planning to push it to 4.0~4.5GHz. I can't deal with overseas stores as shipping would cost an arm and a leg! I've found these two coolers in a local store: CRYORIG R1 and H5

So which one should I go with? It worth mentioning that H5 is 30$ cheaper.

I doubt that CPU will do 4GHz+ 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

U14S Series is a good thing too, but between those cheap fans I might go for H5 for it's popularity for the price per performance

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I doubt that CPU will do 4GHz+ 

With ASUS P5Q-E I think it can do 4.0 at least

Just now, Keyser Malik said:

With ASUS P5Q-E I think it can do 4.0 at least

You won't get it that high, possibly 3.5 to 3.8GHz. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

U14S Series is a good thing too, but between those cheap fans I might go for H5 for it's popularity for the price per performance

Thanks for replying! "Cheap fans" means they're not good enough for that 45nm chip? Should I stretch my budget to get something better? 

You seem to be on a  budget, IMO get a new CPU/mobo/RAM like the R5 1400 that comes with a cooler - you get way more for your money

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

It's very, very unlikely you'll get it to 4, let alone 4.5. Honestly it's not really worth it to spend money on a cooler for an 8+ years old cpu. If you really must you might as well go for the H5 and spare some money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You won't get it that high, possibly 3.5 to 3.8GHz. 

Let me try and see what I can achieve. I'll make sure to tell you the result

1 minute ago, Keyser Malik said:

Let me try and see what I can achieve. I'll make sure to tell you the result

Could you simply save  up for a couple of months and get an r5 1400 system?  guarantee you'll get better value.  

Even getting an i5 2500/i7 2600 would be better options

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Could you simply save  up for a couple of months and get an r5 1400 system?  guarantee you'll get better value.  

He's like me maybe, lazy to change the Motherboard

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

14 minutes ago, Damascus said:

He's like me maybe, lazy to change the Motherboard

Okay let me explain the situation in Egypt. We are in a financial crisis after floating the exchange rate. A few months ago 1$=8EGP, now it's 19EGP! Whatever money you have, it have been cut-down by the half so upgrading the entire platform now is waste of money and would give a miserable price/performance ratio. I agree with you I should upgrade but maybe after couple of years when the economic get stable.

So ATM I want to overclock that chip to help rx480 doing its job with the least possible amount of money.

1 minute ago, Keyser Malik said:

Okay let me explain the situation in Egypt. We are in a financial crisis after floating the exchange rate. A few months ago 1$=8EGP, now it's 19EGP! Whatever money you have, it have been cut-down by the half so upgrading the entire platform now is waste of money and would give a miserable price/performance ratio. I agree with you I should upgrade but maybe after couple of years when the economic get stable.

So ATM I want to overclock that chip to help rx480 doing its job with the least possible amount of money.

No don't upgrade it (if you are the criteria that I said before), Cryorig H5 is solid. Like I said popularity on price per performance

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

13 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

No don't upgrade it (if you are the criteria that I said before), Cryorig H5 is solid. Like I said popularity on price per performance

Yeah I think I'll go with H5. It's cheaper than R1 and performs similarly to R1

Thanks for your time

10 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I would try getting a used mobo combo with a first or second gen i7

Thanks for your concern I really appreciate that, but believe me after couple of years I would get much better hardware branded new. However you seem to underestimate the Q9650. It still got some life. It can beat i3 6300 in any multi-threaded game like gta v!

31 minutes ago, Keyser Malik said:

Yeah I think I'll go with H5. It's cheaper than R1 and performs similarly to R1

Thanks for your time

Thanks for your concern I really appreciate that, but believe me after couple of years I would get much better hardware branded new. However you seem to underestimate the Q9650. It still got some life. It can beat i3 6300 in any multi-threaded game like gta v!

I love Q9650! I want to get that since my motherboard supports it

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

I love Q9650! I want to get that since my motherboard supports it

In that comparison it's running on the stock speed 3.0GHz vs 3.8GHz i3 6300. IMO it provides an outstanding price/performance ratio

11 minutes ago, Keyser Malik said:

In that comparison it's running on the stock speed 3.0GHz vs 3.8GHz i3 6300. IMO it provides an outstanding price/performance ratio

What if I do the same thing with you (4GHz) on a NH-D15S or U14S? I think that can be great!

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

7 hours ago, Keyser Malik said:

Getting a top tier air cooler is generally not the best value. Any reason why you're looking at Cryorig in particular? Can you link us to where you're shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, Keyser Malik said:

NH-D14 is supported for LGA 775 and it's kinda cheap

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

NH-D14 is supported for LGA 775 and it's kinda cheap

The NH-D14 is a bit old by now and is surpassed by newer coolers. It's acoustics are not as smooth compared to smaller coolers with a single fan like the NH-U12S and NH-U14S due to the 120/140mm mismatching fans. It's bulkier than other slimmer options and the fan clips are relatively difficult to attach.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D14 is a bit old by now and is surpassed by newer coolers. It's acoustics are not as smooth compared to smaller coolers with a single fan like the NH-U12S and NH-U14S due to the 120/140mm mismatching fans. It's bulkier than other slimmer options and the fan clips are relatively difficult to attach.

U14S is compatible on LGA 775? I don't know

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

U14S is compatible on LGA 775? I don't know

It can be mounted with the optional NM-I3 mounting kit from noctua upon request. I was mainly using it as the closest comparison to the NH-D14.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Getting a top tier air cooler is generally not the best value. Any reason why you're looking at Cryorig in particular? Can you link us to where you're shopping?

I just want to get a decent cooler so I can control the temperature of that 45nm chip.

There's no reason why I'm looking at Cryorig particularly. It's just a preference but if there's any better option in my situation let me know plz. 

Here's a link to my local stores: http://www.egprices.com/en/category/computers/fans-cooling-systems

1 hour ago, Keyser Malik said:

I just want to get a decent cooler so I can control the temperature of that 45nm chip.

There's no reason why I'm looking at Cryorig particularly. It's just a preference but if there's any better option in my situation let me know plz. 

Here's a link to my local stores: http://www.egprices.com/en/category/computers/fans-cooling-systems

Most good alternatives are out of stock. If there isn't another store you're looking at, the H5 Ultimate is still a good option.