Budget Workstation Build

Hi all, I'm new to LTT forums but have watched Linus' videos on Youtube and I'm inspired by his budget system build from server parts. I'm sure quite a number of you are familiar with his video and I have done quite a bit of research. Although the video's budget is under 150USD for the server motherboard, CPU, and ram if I'm correct. I'm not able to achieve that price point but maybe 300USD. After reading some threads about the video, I have chosen LGA771 as LGA1150 is overbudget for me as I have to include shipping fees as well. I have tried to find SuperMicro as my main motherboard but I prefer to have PCI-E 16X instead of 8X slots. 

These are my parts and I have not yet purchase them

Motherboard: Dell RW203 Precision T5400 Dual LGA 771/Socket J Motherboard

CPU:Intel Xeon X5460 (EU80574KJ087N)

RAM: Samsung PC2-5300F 4GB 2Rx4 DDR2 Server Memory M395T5160CZ4-CE66 (32GB)

STORAGE: Preferably a cheap 120/240GB SSD for OS and Application and cheap HDD for extras (Recommend and advise please) 

PSU: Dell Precision T5400 Workstation 875W

GPU: Preferably 780Ti | 750Ti | 750 | 1060 | 1050 | 1050Ti | or any cheap used GPU 

CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case or Corsair Carbide Series® Clear 600C Inverse ATX Full-Tower Case

Extra

Network Card: Broadcom BCM5704 Dual Port Network LAN

PCI-E 1x Expansion

USB 3.0 PCI-E

Soundcard

USB3.0 PCI-X

Note: The storage option can be ignored for now. The GPU, originally I was going for a used 780Ti but I couldn't find and good deals on used unit as they are still very expensive, but I would prefer to get cheap ones that will run GTA 5, watchdogs, Project Cars just fine about 60fps at medium to low settings. Would the motherboard and PSU fit into those case just fine or it will need a little modding or it needs a completely different case or test-bench? Is the network card listed on top going to be compatible with the motherboard, performance wise? Would the PCI-E expansion unit work with the components listed? Lastly, I could not find any suitable Fan+Heatsink for the CPU and I need guidance here!

So far these are my specs and concern. Most important question will be are all these parts are gonna work? Cheaper Alternative? Reliability? 

Thanks and I will be looking forward to any help with my project!

6 minutes ago, killer5247 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LKDCPs 

So see this no GPU for gaming you don't need a server they have more cores with slower clock speeds 

NO NO NO DONT GO WITH THAT PROCESSOR!

please dont get a pentium g4560 or something else anything else.

-Lukas

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

39 minutes ago, Fluffybakon said:

-Lukas

Try this instead : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HGZBtJ

-Lukas

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

Since I have holiday coming up soon and I just wanna start building and use it for a while and after my holiday ends, I'm gonna host Minecraft server and VPN from home and hopefully get into Steam Community server such as CSGO ad TF2

1 hour ago, Fluffybakon said:

Try this instead : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HGZBtJ

-Lukas

2 hours ago, Fluffybakon said:

-Lukas

Is pentium good enough? I thought you said please don't get a pentium ahahaha

2 hours ago, Master Baiter™ said:

Is pentium good enough? I thought you said please don't get a pentium ahahaha

1 hour ago, Master Baiter™ said:

Or should i just go for ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS, HX421C14FR2K2/16 (HyperX Fury 8GB) and a Ryzen 5 1500X to reduce all the hassle?

xD ment get a pentium.

if you want to host servers and such, an r5 1500x is nowhere near enough. You should look to invest in an r7 1700/1800x.

-Lukas

(everything else is fine)

2 minutes ago, Fluffybakon said:

xD ment get a pentium.

if you want to host servers and such, an r5 1500x is nowhere near enough. You should look to invest in an r7 1700/1800x.

-Lukas

Hmm, it's kinda over my budget, my budget is maximum 300USD probably. Any Specs to recommend?

5 minutes ago, Fluffybakon said:

xD ment get a pentium.

-Lukas

I dunno what you're on about with don't get an Athlon X4 860K. Sure it might be a bit older but it's not a bad CPU. It isn't a standard AMD furnace and it's a quad core. I have one and it's great.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

10 hours ago, Inversion said:

I dunno what you're on about with don't get an Athlon X4 860K. Sure it might be a bit older but it's not a bad CPU. It isn't a standard AMD furnace and it's a quad core. I have one and it's great.

How does it perform?

8 hours ago, Master Baiter™ said:

How does it perform?

Well with a GTX 960 it gets about 50-60 FPS on Medium to High Settings on Rise of the Tomb Raider. Drop the settings to Low-Medium and 60FPS is very likely. Older games (Skyrim for example) run at a solid 60FPS and Fallout 4 on Ultra runs at a solid 60 when out of combat and between 35 and 50 in combat.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

19 hours ago, Inversion said:

Hm. Well, it seems i owe you an apology for assuming it was a standard amd fx chip. You learn something new every day :). Thanks for teaching me something :).

-Lukas

1 hour ago, Inversion said:

Well with a GTX 960 it gets about 50-60 FPS on Medium to High Settings on Rise of the Tomb Raider. Drop the settings to Low-Medium and 60FPS is very likely. Older games (Skyrim for example) run at a solid 60FPS and Fallout 4 on Ultra runs at a solid 60 when out of combat and between 35 and 50 in combat.

Would a Z97 board compatible with it?

10 hours ago, Master Baiter™ said:

Would a Z97 board compatible with it?

No. That chipset is for the Intel LGA 1150 socket but the Athlon is on the FM2+ socket, an AMD socket.

But if you mean the graphics card then yes it's compatible.

3 hours ago, Inversion said:

No. That chipset is for the Intel LGA 1150 socket but the Athlon is on the FM2+ socket, an AMD socket.

But if you mean the graphics card then yes it's compatible.

I see, but would it be able to run and host a few servers fine?  

Hmm I found this deal on ebay 

Foxconn Renaissance LGA1366 for about 30USD including shipping fees. ----> Seems Legit

Maybe pair it with a Intel X5650 for 30USD as well including shipping fees.

4X8GB RAM for 110USD including shipping fees.

Lastly, a Corsair CX650M PSU

Would all this work and total about 250USD which is right around my budget.

The reason why I chose Intel X5650 is because it has similar specs to I7 5820K except less clockspeed but thats fine.

7 hours ago, Master Baiter™ said:

Hmm I found this deal on ebay 

Foxconn Renaissance LGA1366 for about 30USD including shipping fees. ----> Seems Legit

Maybe pair it with a Intel X5650 for 30USD as well including shipping fees.

4X8GB RAM for 110USD including shipping fees.

Lastly, a Corsair CX650M PSU

Would all this work and total about 250USD which is right around my budget.

The reason why I chose Intel X5650 is because it has similar specs to I7 5820K except less clockspeed but thats fine.

You'll need a cooler and I dunno if you have storage for like a boot drive.

5 minutes ago, Inversion said:

You'll need a cooler and I dunno if you have storage for like a boot drive.

Cooler I might go for a Corsair H80i v2 and storage will go for a 120GB SSD for OS and a used HDD for others but nevermind. The motherboard is out of stock. Will go for a Asus P6T and 32GB DDR3 RAM if possible.

On 2017-5-31 at 11:13 AM, Master Baiter™ said:

Cooler I might go for a Corsair H80i v2 and storage will go for a 120GB SSD for OS and a used HDD for others but nevermind. The motherboard is out of stock. Will go for a Asus P6T and 32GB DDR3 RAM if possible.

That should work

Or maybe would a sandy bridge system still keep up with current modern games and some light photoshop and video editing?

Heres the specs

Intel Core i7-2600

MOBO Biostar TH61A LGA1155

8GB 1333mhz ram

120 Kingston Value SSD

500GB WD blue HDD

MSI power edition GTX 650

I wont tell much about CPUs on a low budget not only for gaming. Purely for gaming a g4560 pentium is an awesome value. Might out-perform even some used CPUs.

As for GPU I would personally go for 1050Ti or RX560/RX570.

As for storage I would go 64GB new, but cheap SATA3 SSD + 500GB or 1TB 7200rpm HDD (can be used)

As for PSU and case - If you will go with normal-sized motherboards (some server CPUs require non-standard big mobos) then I would find a cheapest used case and a cheap PSU, max 450W.

Rams - 8gb, preferably used, 1333 or 1666mhz

Stock coolers if possible, cheap ones if not possible.

Audio, usb 3.0, network - everything should be on mobo.

Personally I wouldnt go with server equipment as I tend to see that only people that have experience in these are able to dish out better value out of those then normal desktop PCs. This is mainly through many compatibility issues.

22 hours ago, Verrm said:

I wont tell much about CPUs on a low budget not only for gaming. Purely for gaming a g4560 pentium is an awesome value. Might out-perform even some used CPUs.

As for GPU I would personally go for 1050Ti or RX560/RX570.

As for storage I would go 64GB new, but cheap SATA3 SSD + 500GB or 1TB 7200rpm HDD (can be used)

As for PSU and case - If you will go with normal-sized motherboards (some server CPUs require non-standard big mobos) then I would find a cheapest used case and a cheap PSU, max 450W.

Rams - 8gb, preferably used, 1333 or 1666mhz

Stock coolers if possible, cheap ones if not possible.

Audio, usb 3.0, network - everything should be on mobo.

Personally I wouldnt go with server equipment as I tend to see that only people that have experience in these are able to dish out better value out of those then normal desktop PCs. This is mainly through many compatibility issues.

I see, but can Pentium handle hosting server?