turning on your pc remotely

Marcseli

Aight, so i want to turn on my PC remotely cause i wanna be a badass. My idea was to use a car remote and perhaps a receiver in my PC to turn it on. Is there any way to do this cause i didnt see anything related to this apart from WOL.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

My name Jeff

Wake on lan is the lazy way and built into almost any modern system(aka last 20 years). You just need anouther system on lan or open it to wan.

Other than that best way is impi, but you need a supported board, or add something like a drac card if supported.

Otherwise, you can use vpro is you hardware supports it(server or q170/q170/q87 chipset, supported cpu)

1 hour ago, Marcseli said:

Aight, so i want to turn on my PC remotely cause i wanna be a badass. My idea was to use a car remote and perhaps a receiver in my PC to turn it on. Is there any way to do this cause i didnt see anything related to this apart from WOL.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If you want a physical remote to switch the system on silverstone makes a RF remote starter which is plug and go:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=614

2 hours ago, W-L said:

If you want a physical remote to switch the system on silverstone makes a RF remote starter which is plug and go:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=614

Yeah i learned about this but i dont like the design of it. Is there perhaps a way to use another remote with the same receiver?

My name Jeff

17 hours ago, Marcseli said:

Yeah i learned about this but i dont like the design of it. Is there perhaps a way to use another remote with the same receiver?

Hard to say since it doesn't mention if it allows you to reprogram them to another remote, might want to ask silverstone about that. 

They do have a slightly different version also:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=714&area=en

Edited by W-L

Here's something that might spark an interest in you:

On 5/29/2017 at 4:27 AM, Marcseli said:

You can, you just need a way to record the signal and to transmit it, which you can do with an arduino, rf receiver and rf transmitter. I actually have a similar setup myself which I can use to turn my pc on from my phone, whether I am home or not, or from remote switch that I can put anywhere... I can give you a link but be careful what you get your self into, home automation is addicting ^^

https://timleland.com/wireless-power-outlets/

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @4.8Ghz - MB: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger - RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4@2400Mhz - GPU: EVGA FTW GeForce GTX1080 - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, bunch of old WD 500GB drives, old WD green 1.5TB - Case: AeroCool Mechatron - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 750W - Display: iijama ProLite B2712HDS 27" 1080p Display - Cooling: Enermax Liqmax II 240 - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown - Mouse: Corsair M65 FPS Gunmetal Black - Sound: Logitech X230

I actually built something to do this to with my HTPCs using an Arduino and installed it inside of then.   There's an IR reciever and the Arduino is waiting to see the 'Power' signal from my Windows MCE remote, when it sees it, the Arduino operates an electrical relay that is connected to it which is wired into the PWR pins on the motherboard.  You can press the button once to shut down or power up the machine, even from S5, and if it's crashed, you can hold the remote button for 4 seconds and the machine will force shutdown.

However I also had to tap into the 5v STB pin on the molex connector to make sure the Arduino always has power to operate.

Since it's programmable, you could reprogram the setup to respond to ANY IR signal.  (Assuming the signal was within the frequency range of the IR sensor, some remotes may require an alternative sensor)

IMG_20161208_192721.thumb.jpg.39051e5afca53ae94074efffa6be0a05.jpg