Problems with my rx 460

Duksaaa

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting here so sorry if i miss something.Im having problems with my pc which consists of

-Core 2 quad Q8200-overclocked to 3.0ghz

-8gb of ddr2 ram

-RX 460 2gb from sapphire

-Gigabyte p35 d3sl (1.0)

-Antec VP500 (500w) psu

-3 HDD

and 2 case fans

The problem I'm having is when I'm playing games they will randomly crash and the only successful solution I've found is to downclock my card and reduce the power limit,but that reduces my performance.I have tried running it without the overclock,taking out HDD and fans,but the problem still doesn't go away.

Sorry for my english it's not my first language.

rx 460.png

rx 460 no crash.png

IMO it's the PSU problem

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

The PSU is brand new I just bought it thinking it would solve the issue.

1 minute ago, Duksaaa said:

The PSU is brand new I just bought it thinking it would solve the issue.

But it has bad quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Not really I've looked at a lot of reviews before buying it and they all agree that this is a good quality psu.

Unlock voltage monitoring in MSI Afterburner for more info.

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

But it has bad quality

I don't think it's significant enough to cause crashes. His parts won't consume more than 300W of power, 60% or the rated value. Even a badly made PSU should handle <60% load

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

How bout try everything on default clock for a moment and yes that includes the CPU, and test it again.

if nothing is change, RMA your GPU.

5 minutes ago, Duksaaa said:

Not really I've looked at a lot of reviews before buying it and they all agree that this is a good quality psu.

@STRMfrmXMN @Energycore

It's really bad in terms of quality, let PSU gurus explain

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I have tried that numerous times,but that doesn't fix it as for the RMA I've returned it to the shop that I bought it from and they tested it,but they didn't find any problems which leads me to believe that my motherboard is the issue.

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I don't think it's significant enough to cause crashes. His parts won't consume more than 300W of power, 60% or the rated value. Even a badly made PSU should handle <60% load

A crap PSU may not be able to deliver enough wattage even it's 60%

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

But it has bad quality

The VP500 isn't terrible enough for me to think it's the problem. My guess is that the card is factory overclocked and he's playing games that don't allow for overclocking. I have a friend with a Kingpin 980 Ti and all the time Overwatch will crash itself deliberately because the factory clocks of the Kingpin are so far above reference clock that Blizzard doesn't trust it, even though it's stable from the factory at those speeds.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

For example i must downclock and in the amd settings i must turn on power saving not to crash.I have tried tuning back the factory overclock with no luck I've officially ran out of ideas that's why I'm asking for help.

Is your cpu oc stable?

Perhaps by slowing down your gpu you're creating an intentional bottleneck and so relieving the stress on the cpu so the unstable oc doesn't cause crashes?

14 minutes ago, Duksaaa said:

I've looked at a lot of reviews before buying it and they all agree that this is a good quality psu.

Reviews on websites like amazon aren't a reliable. The corsair VS 650W is a bad power supply but it still has a 4 star rating on amazon with more then 100 reviews.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

I think it is.It was fine in Aida 64 for like 1 hour also the intel burn test.

2 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

Reviews on websites like amazon aren't a reliable. The corsair VS 650W is a bad power supply but it still has a 4 star rating on amazon with more then 100 reviews.

While it does look like the psu might be the problem his rig is literally sipping power...

@Mr_Random_Guy the rx 460 doesn't require external power and the cpu has a 95 watt TDP so that shouldn't be an issue.

4 minutes ago, Duksaaa said:

@Mr_Random_Guy the rx 460 doesn't require external power and the cpu has a 95 watt TDP so that shouldn't be an issue.

But you are having an issue, you wouldn't be here in first place if you don't have a problem.

I'm just trying to eliminate the real problems

If swapping PSU can fix the problem then good, but since you are out of option to RMA the card (I hate store who do that stuff)

The other option is to test your card with different computer (or motherboard according to you anyway)

7 minutes ago, Duksaaa said:

That's what I was saying, the fact decreasing your power limit works points towards the PSU, but you are literally pulling such little power its unlikely.

That being said I used to have a no name 500 watt PSU and when I installed an RX 460 it blew up under load

The thing is when I decrease the power limit and leave the core and the memory at stock it still crashes,but when I downclock them by 200-300mhz the system is stable and I can play games like the Witcher 3 or ROTTR with no issues.

1 minute ago, Duksaaa said:

The thing is when I decrease the power limit and leave the core and the memory at stock it still crashes,but when I downclock them by 200-300mhz the system is stable and I can play games like the Witcher 3 or ROTTR with no issues.

That's what am I saying, isn't this so obvious.

You have defective card

Just because it runs at lower speed (lower than default at least) doesn't mean it's okay.

There's definitely something wrong with that gpu.

3 minutes ago, Duksaaa said:

Hmm, so that's my theory about you playing Blizzard games out the window. Sounds like you bought this PSU recently too.

Can you try running the 460 in another PC?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||