What's a good soldering iron?

EunSoo

Hello! I am looking for a soldering iron that will last me a while. The primary use will be for keyboards but I'm sure that I'll use it for many other projects. I don't know much about electronics so I'm not sure what specifications I should be looking for. I don't kniow what kind of budget I should have so whatever is good for a person trying to get into hobby electronics but good enough so that I can use it for more advanced projects. Thanks!

edit: I also need a heat gun if you have any quick suggestions for that. thanks again

Hakko FX888

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

1 minute ago, dany_boy said:

Hakko FX888

thanks mate. One more thing. Do you have any recommendations for a desoldering pump or whatever can desolder?

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

thanks mate. One more thing. Do you have any recommendations for a desoldering pump or whatever can desolder?

De-soldering vacuum pump +  solder wick will get 95% of the jobs done.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Just now, SCGazelle said:

For solder pumps, pretty much anything will do, but a metal one will last longer. Don't cheap out on solder wick, you want a good one. MG chemicals, radioshack or elenco are good stuff.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

1 minute ago, dany_boy said:

For solder pumps, pretty much anything will do, but a metal one will last longer. Don't cheap out on solder wick, you want a good one. MG chemicals, radioshack or elenco are good stuff.

is this one better?

https://www.amazon.com/Aven-17537-Desoldering-Pump-Anti-Static/dp/B019IUHGRM/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1495924413&sr=1-3&keywords=metal+desoldering+pump

I found this elenco solder wick. Is this what I'm looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/SW-3-Desoldering-Wire-Handy-Dispenser/dp/B0002LLW5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495924376&sr=8-1&keywords=elenco+solder+wick

well when i repaired my K70 i just used my cheap 30W iron, its slow but it works lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I still have my doubts about the wick you linked but if you get some flux it will work just fine.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

I recommend you get 0.5mm/0.6mm 63/37 0r 60/40 rosin core solder, it's the easiest to work with.

For a heat gun, try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NDX7O6/

There are some that are a bit cheaper, but they are very cheap and have all sorts of problems judging by the reviews.  There's probably also more expensive ones but idk what for, I have one of these and it's been great so far.  Haven't used it a whole lot yet though.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

34 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

I recommend you get 0.5mm/0.6mm 63/37 0r 60/40 rosin core solder, it's the easiest to work with.

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Miniatronics-Corp-1064004-Rosin-Solder/dp/B0006O933K

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

For a heat gun, try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NDX7O6/

There are some that are a bit cheaper, but they are very cheap and have all sorts of problems judging by the reviews.  There's probably also more expensive ones but idk what for, I have one of these and it's been great so far.  Haven't used it a whole lot yet though.

k, thanks. I that one will do just fine. it is for vinyl.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well when i repaired my K70 i just used my cheap 30W iron, its slow but it works lol

eh, I think I want something a little more high quality as I am planning on doing a lot of projects with it.

1 hour ago, dany_boy said:

I still have my doubts about the wick you linked but if you get some flux it will work just fine.

ok. Thanks for all your help.

14 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Miniatronics-Corp-1064004-Rosin-Solder/dp/B0006O933K

k, thanks. I that one will do just fine. it is for vinyl.

eh, I think I want something a little more high quality as I am planning on doing a lot of projects with it.

ok. Thanks for all your help.

oh yah, dont get a crappy cheap iron if you are planing to use it a bunch, im just saying that even cheap stuff works pretty good unless you need something better :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

just remember to tin the iron the first time you turn it on

also not so funny story my first soldering iron was 99p off ebay and while soldering the hot tip fell out.. moral of the story don't buy cheap soldering irons!

The best and easiest to use solder is Kester 331 where you can wash, 245 where you can't.

IMO it depends on how much you use one.

I have a Hakko 936 clone that has done an amazing job over the past 7 or 8 years (Gordak 936a). It's a bit fidgety to calibrate since the knob and silkscreened temperature aren't what I'd call accurate, but once it's where you need it to be, it'll do just fine.

Because it's so cheap I have about 15 irons with different tips, since it's faster to just change the iron than wait for one to cool off and change the tip.

Main problem I have with it is that the plug isn't quite as sturdy as I'd like it and I often end up either scrapping an iron or just replacing the cable.

As for solder suckers, I've been using a $3 one for over 10 years at this point. They're simple enough that there isn't really much that can break in them, as long as it's a full metal body one (I think the only plastic bits on it are the plunger thumb and the retention bracket that keeps it all together.

For infrequent use, a cheap station will do just fine. For frequent use, specially when dealing with finer joints, invest in a good one. Whatever you do, NEVER buy one of those plug in irons.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

12 hours ago, dexT said:

The best and easiest to use solder is Kester 331 where you can wash, 245 where you can't.

What do you mean by wash? Like I can wash the stuff off my soldering iron? 

10 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

IMO it depends on how much you use one.

I have a Hakko 936 clone that has done an amazing job over the past 7 or 8 years (Gordak 936a). It's a bit fidgety to calibrate since the knob and silkscreened temperature aren't what I'd call accurate, but once it's where you need it to be, it'll do just fine.

Because it's so cheap I have about 15 irons with different tips, since it's faster to just change the iron than wait for one to cool off and change the tip.

Main problem I have with it is that the plug isn't quite as sturdy as I'd like it and I often end up either scrapping an iron or just replacing the cable.

As for solder suckers, I've been using a $3 one for over 10 years at this point. They're simple enough that there isn't really much that can break in them, as long as it's a full metal body one (I think the only plastic bits on it are the plunger thumb and the retention bracket that keeps it all together.

For infrequent use, a cheap station will do just fine. For frequent use, specially when dealing with finer joints, invest in a good one. Whatever you do, NEVER buy one of those plug in irons.

That brings up another question. What kind of tips should I have? Should I start off with the one that it comes with an over time, as I need them, buy more or should I get them all now? I'm planning on using this thing each weekend for small projects for now.

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

What do you mean by wash? Like I can wash the stuff off my soldering iron? 

Most solder you have to scrub the flux off or it can eat pcb or components and weaken the joint. 331 is a water clean up so you scrub with a toothbrush and water. 331 is really fast and easy to solder with, it's worth having to scrub.

245 is harder to work with but is the best no-clean solder. You would want to use this for pots and jacks or anything that can be corroded or is water/solvent sensitive. 

2 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

That brings up another question. What kind of tips should I have? Should I start off with the one that it comes with an over time, as I need them, buy more or should I get them all now? I'm planning on using this thing each weekend for small projects for now.

s-soldering10pcs_p2.jpg

These are the most common tips. for the sake of simplicity, I'll call them by order in the picture.

I use:

#1 mostly for desoldering big joints

#2, 3, 6, 9 and 10 are my usuals

#4 and 5 for finer work (like surface mount packages)

#7 and 8 are there for things between fine points (4, 5) and regular solder joints.

I also have variations on them, but they're there on a "maybe I'll need them" basis, since I bought a pretty large tip kit at one point and they were there.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

5 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

s-soldering10pcs_p2.jpg

These are the most common tips. for the sake of simplicity, I'll call them by order in the picture.

I use:

#1 mostly for desoldering big joints

#2, 3, 6, 9 and 10 are my usuals

#4 and 5 for finer work (like surface mount packages)

#7 and 8 are there for things between fine points (4, 5) and regular solder joints.

I also have variations on them, but they're there on a "maybe I'll need them" basis, since I bought a pretty large tip kit at one point and they were there.

Ok. A kit like this isn't expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PIC8J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mUmlzbDZ40658

Will it work with the hakko fx880d

4 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

Ok. A kit like this isn't expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PIC8J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mUmlzbDZ40658

Will it work with the hakko fx880d

It should work.

Check the ID (interior diameter) of the tips and make sure it matches (+1mm I think) the OD (outer diameter) of the soldering iron heating element

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520