The Breadbox (~2.3L box of fun)

It has finally begun, the project involving a case that's only 2.3L in volume, whilst able to fit dual slot cards up to a length of 170mm. And after a year of planning... I've only managed to cut out the panels for the case itself (Dimensions are 17*14.7*9.5, Width*Depth*Height).

Specs:

CPU: i5-6600k

Cooler: Silverstone AR04 (it's an adorable little heatsink)

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-STX (chosen due to the PCIe x4 3.0 M.2 slot)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-2800 1x8GB (cheaper than any 2133 kits so why not?)

Storage: Plextor M6s 128GB SSD + a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD that I found in a box (that'll be mounted somewhere outside the case)

Graphics card: I don't know probably a Sapphire Pulse ITX RX 570 or (if applicable) an RX Vega Nano card

PSU(s): A Delta 120W brick for the motherboard, and probably a HDPLEX 80W AC-DC unit combined with a 160W DC-DC with some circuitry to make it turn on at the same time as the motherboard's brick

Other: A generic M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter, and a generic (though probably going to be switched to 3M) x4 to x16 powered riser.

Warning: Really shitty hardware photos.

Spoiler

The motherboard (that's my brother's bed in the background btw, he's 7:

b7abcAb.jpg

Testing the x4 to x16 powered riser:

Tdqx0GZ.jpg

Really bad pics of the mess that ensured:

2B26Nm8.jpg

photo_2017-03-10_21-31-39.jpg

Current progress:

Spoiler

closedleft.jpg.a4497b83634bd801e72a1fa62432ca13.jpgopenfront.jpg.0b902002f1934c3a7028d53c23dbb3e9.jpgopendiagonal.jpg.14faf5fb8ff55b5d664ba5f804fff7a8.jpg

Calculation for internal volume is 17*9.5*(14.7-3) + (9.5 - 2*3)*17*3 + (pi*(3^2)/2)*17 = 2308.3818383 (2.3L)

Some people wanted to see this (I think):

@Daring

@Bananasplit_00

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

So tiny! :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So tiny! :D 

still bigger than your dick

actually though, this is gonna be pretty cool

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

still bigger than your dick

At over 2L in volume, I'd kinda hope so or I'd be killing people.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i like the name :ph34r: insperated much?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

holy shit yes

why you no tell me you know boxes of fun is something i enjoy looking at 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

• 2 weeks later...

So close!  Just put on the back and side flaps and then stuff it full ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Quick question to the people who follow, what's the best way to attach the sidepanels  together? Epoxy?

I guess it depends if you want to ever be able to open it again, which I would think is a yes.  For one thing, I would fuse the back and the sides into one piece, whether that's welding or whatever.  Welding aluminium is very tricky and needs special equipment though so probably not an option.  But as for how to join that to the rest?  It needs to slide on and off easily, but also stay in place and make a nice seam... hm...

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I guess it depends if you want to ever be able to open it again, which I would think is a yes.  For one thing, I would fuse the back and the sides into one piece, whether that's welding or whatever.  Welding aluminium is very tricky and needs special equipment though so probably not an option.  But as for how to join that to the rest?  It needs to slide on and off easily, but also stay in place and make a nice seam... hm...

Well, the motherboard tray, the back and the right panels will need to be one piece for ease of assembly, and the front/top/bottom and the left panel will be one piece to allow for that sliding. But the hardest part it still what to use :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 2017-06-22 at 7:19 PM, TheRandomness said:

Well, the motherboard tray, the back and the right panels will need to be one piece for ease of assembly, and the front/top/bottom and the left panel will be one piece to allow for that sliding. But the hardest part it still what to use :P

well rivits look sweet but i doubt thats what you would go for here lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 4 weeks later...

Well... I think this is going to drop into inactivity until I get a new graphics card. I say that because it'd be much easier for me to model out the case internals, figure out all the cabling/power supply itself, all that kind of stuff. So for now, I think I might just call this temporarily shelved. But do not worry, it'll be coming back in the next few weeks/months. Hopefully weeks though.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

36 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Well... I think this is going to drop into inactivity until I get a new graphics card. I say that because it'd be much easier for me to model out the case internals, figure out all the cabling/power supply itself, all that kind of stuff. So for now, I think I might just call this temporarily shelved. But do not worry, it'll be coming back in the next few weeks/months. Hopefully weeks though.

its a bit like with the Toaster for me, need to wait for money for a new GPU(and a PSU too). havent updated that thread in over a month now

Builds:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, TheRandomness said:

Ok nevermind about shelving it, have some renders, courtesy of @Ryan_Vickers since idk how to 3d model.

Hide contents

Assembly1.png.ac76b3d97ff4e93c986ba6362dd9b82a.pngAssembly2.png.79b05da3cb07c6e0655ff6defbe021c4.pngAssembly3.png.04d7f214c35ff95df6ad662a370bf88d.png

Coming soonTM

looks awesome :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

I've run some tests, and it can't withstand a 10 lb distributed load on the top surface with vents, nor can I give it any water-resistance rating.

It should however be sufficiently strong for the intended task (motherboard tray, etc.)

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've run some tests, and it can't withstand a 10 lb distributed load on the top surface with vents, nor can I give it any water-resistance rating.

It should however be sufficiently strong for the intended task (motherboard tray, etc.)

Sooooooo it's fine for a computer, just don't put your legs or monitor on it lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Sooooooo it's fine for a computer, just don't put your legs or monitor on it lol

Yes.

Assembly1.jpg

41 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

*ahem* Hi

Yes, you get credit for printing it :P 

I assume that was going to wait until it was actually done tho