Driver for Ethernet pcie card?

Janeyadonnah

I recently picked up a quad port ethernet PCIe card off of ebay and evice manager tells me this:

59285ff18dc9f_dfkgdfkigd.PNG.840ddc246c660dbcba018cb6a7008412.PNG

and basically tells me that the driver wasn't installed for this device (Code 28).

So I've been searching the web and it seems like i need the 'nxge' driver as I have the

SUN 501-7606

ethernet card.

But unfortunatly I haven't found any working download link to that driver so if you could help me out please let me know.

If you need to know anything else just let me know, I will try to answer as fast as possible

blubb

what brand is the card or what name is on the main chip on the card? as you'll get the driver from them.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

That's a Server NIC, so you might have some trouble if you're not using a Windows Server OS.  However, people have been know to use compatibility modes and occasionally get them to work.  Try this link.

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

what brand is the card or what name is on the main chip on the card? as you'll get the driver from them.

He already stated it: 

SUN 501-7606

Supported by Sun/Oracle

14 minutes ago, Doramius said:

That's a Server NIC, so you might have some trouble if you're not using a Windows Server OS.  However, people have been know to use compatibility modes and occasionally get them to work.  Try this link.

Those instructions lead (at least thats what i got to) to this driver which doesn't seem to solve the issue, at least the ethernet controllers still are displayed as in need of drivers

blubb

Again, this sounds like a compatibility issue.  I found this link to a site that lists compatible servers, but it may not list every compatible model.  However, these all seem to be based on the Intel i350 chipset (available for AM4 and T4).  

It seems like 

ATLS1QGE is another 'name' for this card.

the Sun PN is: 501-7606-04

20170526_200148.thumb.jpg.4da63b9d671bc04ca5fccb087e7c4a79.jpg20170526_200106.thumb.jpg.2e34ecede18ed0c336e32d003241cb68.jpg

blubb

Yeah I doubt there are windows drivers for that NIC. Most server NICs are only designed for server systems like linux and windows server, not consumer windows.

My native language is C++

There actually is a driver, and there appears to be a windows version of it, too.

But the thing is, that all the download links to that driver (called nxge) seem to be outdated and not available anymore.

That's why I asked if anybody knew a way to obtain that one :)

blubb

11 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Yeah I doubt there are windows drivers for that NIC. Most server NICs are only designed for server systems like linux and windows server, not consumer windows.

If it was an intel chip/card it would be no problem (I actually have another quad lan card for another pc, which uses an intel chip and i was able to just plug it in and it plain worked without any additional driver), but it seems like it really does have a sun branded chip :/

(photo is with the heatsink removed)20170526_202032.thumb.jpg.0c98a6cac5c1ebcd2efa86e64e659a62.jpg

blubb

On 27.5.2017 at 0:26 AM, Doramius said:

You can see if this Intel driver works, but you may have to manually install it in windows.  And it might not work, even after all that.

EDIT: Here's another one you can try.

Regarding the Intel Driver, these actually completed the install without throwing an error, but i can't actually enable the card to work as intended

592a032e11408_ickvhjvhjblcjbcvb.PNG.e24615f38bff9d70b01fa0768147cffa.PNG

dggdfgdgdfgdfg.PNG.000f24fab643f53b47b1a46342139675.PNG

The download on the other link you provided sadly only leads to a general driver update programm which requires 20$?

But thank you nontheless for your help!

blubb

yeah, it's possible you also need a specific application  outside of the driver.  Server cards are usually made for a specific purpose and design.  I've also had some that only work with specific equipment.  Not just the server, but on the network.  The communication on some was that the devices would only work specifically with storage devices and nothing else.

• 11 months later...

Did anyone got the card running?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've got the same card and can't find drivers for Windows 10... I was wondering if you ever worked it out?

Thanks,

Joseph

The fact these are Sun cards I doubt Oracle has Windows 10 compatible drivers since Sun servers are pretty much proprietary to run SunOS / Solaris. 

It seems they do run Neptune chipsets, and it seems the Neptune NIU driver has been packaged into Linux so should work OOTB on distros like Ubuntu / Debian. Apparently unRAID has this driver as well. 

It looks like the latest Windows driver would be for XP / 2003, so won't work under anything later. 

I see there are some similar Sun cards based on the intel I350-T4 chipset which have Intel drivers, but doesnt appear these Neptune based ones ever had Windows drivers available. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA