Car Speakers In Desktop PC

Bruno_A

Hey guys, I have a couple small car speakers that I would like to use with my desktop PC. How can I do that? I'm currently using the board on an old PC speaker pair and wired the board to the car speakers instead of the speakers that were originally used (I know I didn't explain well, but I included a picture) but the thing is, they don't sound very well in not very loud volumes. Is there a better way of doing this?

Many thanks, Bruno.

Spoiler

image1.thumb.jpg.ddc90a42dde2ed96648eef84ef441e22.jpg

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

The computer speaker circuit board probs can't put out enough power. I think often car speakers use a 200W or more amplifier. (but I'm a noob to sound systems, and have no idea how they work)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

The computer speaker circuit board probs can't put out enough power. I think often car speakers use a 200W or more amplifier. (but I'm a noob to sound systems, and have no idea how they work)

^ you need an AMP.

You can't just wire them to the computer, they need an amplifier.

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

The rule of thumb that I know about stock automotive head units is about 50-75 watts, occasionally they can go up to 200 watts, but it's not very common.

Just now, CubisticWings4 said:

The rule of thumb that I know about stock automotive head units is about 50-75 watts, occasionally they can go up to 200 watts, but it's not very common.

Just now, Sack said:

You can't just wire them to the computer, they need an amplifier.

Is it possible to wire them to the PSU?

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

1 minute ago, bruny06 said:

Is it possible to wire them to the PSU?

I'm not 100% certain. I mean, in theory it's basically what an automotive amp really is, but you'd need a way to run the audio signal through the psu to get the sound signal amplified to the speaker.

I'm not 100% certain. I mean, in theory it's basically what an automotive amp really is, but you'd need a way to run the audio signal through the psu to get the sound signal amplified to the speaker.

And even that is above my knowledge level of how to pull that off.

1 minute ago, CubisticWings4 said:

Let me clarify that. It would work on a similar principle to an auto amp IF you could run the audio signal through the PSU.

2 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

Let me clarify that. It would work on a similar principle to an auto amp IF you could run the audio signal through the PSU.

And that's impossible to do? :P 

I'm saying it might be possible, BUT I'm not sure as to how it could be done.

DONE SAFELY

2 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

DONE SAFELY

I'll just leave it then, thanks xD

4 minutes ago, Sack said:

Do you want to die?

I don't know man, not really xD 

1 minute ago, bruny06 said:

I'll just leave it then, thanks xD

TBH: I would just buy a 110/220v to 12v converter, a car amp, a headphone to L/R audio splitter, and some speaker wire, wire it all together, and just use that.

14 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

I don't know man, not really xD 

Then don't mess with your PSU.

1 hour ago, CubisticWings4 said:

It wasn't a bad idea, just an idea where there was no safe solution

no, it's a bad idea. There is no possible way to make it work. A power supply is nothing like an amplifier.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

no, it's a bad idea. There is no possible way to make it work. A power supply is nothing like an amplifier.

Spwath is right, a power supply is not an amplifier, all this will do is blow out your speakers. you need to amplify the analog sound wave not just add a DC bias. Just buy a speaker amplifier that takes a line level input. Then its headphone jack/line out-> line in on amp -> speaker wires to car speakers. Try to match the impedance as well (should be listed on the speakers or speaker packaging, usually 8 or 16 ohms for car audio, 4 or 8 ohms for home audio. You can also use a multi meter set to read resistance).

PS don't mess with power supplies if you don't know what you are doing, 120VAC or 240VAC with >10amps is more than enough to do you in.

8 hours ago, bruny06 said:

Hey guys, I have a couple small car speakers that I would like to use with my desktop PC. How can I do that? I'm currently using the board on an old PC speaker pair and wired the board to the car speakers instead of the speakers that were originally used (I know I didn't explain well, but I included a picture) but the thing is, they don't sound very well in not very loud volumes. Is there a better way of doing this?

Many thanks, Bruno.

Hide contents

image1.thumb.jpg.ddc90a42dde2ed96648eef84ef441e22.jpg

Hi Bruno,

You need an enclosure for those speakers. The backwave is cancelling the output from the front.They should be separated with a baffle, like that in the photo below:

grandref-baffle.jpg

You can get a cardboard box and cut holes on them to test this theory. Put the speakers in flush as if they are fitted in a car door (similar to the first illustration). They will sound a whole lot better when enclosed. 

If you are happy with the result, you can build wooden boxes for those drivers.

Cheers,

Ivan

On 2017-5-27 at 0:11 AM, Stagea said:

Hi Bruno,

You need an enclosure for those speakers. The backwave is cancelling the output from the front.They should be separated with a baffle, like that in the photo below:

grandref-baffle.jpg

You can get a cardboard box and cut holes on them to test this theory. Put the speakers in flush as if they are fitted in a car door (similar to the first illustration). They will sound a whole lot better when enclosed. 

If you are happy with the result, you can build wooden boxes for those drivers.

Cheers,

Ivan

Thanks for the tip mate, I'll try it out once I get home! But I'll probably just end up buying new 2.1 speakers...

Many thanks, Bruno.

On 5/31/2017 at 10:42 AM, bruny06 said:

Thanks for the tip mate, I'll try it out once I get home! But I'll probably just end up buying new 2.1 speakers...

Many thanks, Bruno.

You're welcome, buddy. Best of luck with whatever option you choose.

On 2017-6-1 at 11:46 PM, Stagea said:

You're welcome, buddy. Best of luck with whatever option you choose.

Hey, sorry for the delay, I actualy made a cardboard housing for the speaker and the sound actually got better, thanks mate! :D