Writing a book.

So I am writing for the fun of it. Just creating a story with what comes to mind. Is it just me or is it harder to write a third person story than it is to write a first person story?

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

Yes. Third person you have to 'parse' characters for the important bits, whereas first person can be anything, really. First person also tends to lend itself to comedy more, as you can 'hear' all the quips in the characters head, but third person can also be very comedic. (Discworld.)

- snip-

Perhaps taking a writing course or look up free lessons online. I wouldn't know where to look, because I hate writing.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

37 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yes. Third person you have to 'parse' characters for the important bits, whereas first person can be anything, really. First person also tends to lend itself to comedy more, as you can 'hear' all the quips in the characters head, but third person can also be very comedic. (Discworld.)

The question becomes how far into a character's head can you go.

I took a creative writing course when I was in 11th grade, mostly to advance my English skills for the Cambridge exam I was taking that year. We had to write a short story (50-75 pages)

The trick(s) we used was:

write down whatever comes to mind at that point. You'll run out of ideas sooner or later, so set yourself a daily quota. Since we had an entire year to come up with the story, we set a goal of one page per day. By day 11 I was out of ideas, so I started reviewing what I'd written previously. Turned out some ideas and events were too vaguely presented and by the time I had finished reviewing the 15 paged I'd had written, I was already ahead of schedule at around 22-24 pages (which was around half the minimum required length). Every week I'd go back and review and most of the time it turned out I'd missed key points or explanations which usually required adding content. By the end of the year I had a 120 page novella that got me max points in the course.

It's all about pushing yourself and not hitting a wall halfway through.

Imagine Morgan Freeman narrating your story. That actually helps when writing in the 3rd person >_>

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

I took a creative writing course when I was in 11th grade, mostly to advance my English skills for the Cambridge exam I was taking that year. We had to write a short story (50-75 pages)

The trick(s) we used was:

write down whatever comes to mind at that point. You'll run out of ideas sooner or later, so set yourself a daily quota. Since we had an entire year to come up with the story, we set a goal of one page per day. By day 11 I was out of ideas, so I started reviewing what I'd written previously. Turned out some ideas and events were too vaguely presented and by the time I had finished reviewing the 15 paged I'd had written, I was already ahead of schedule at around 22-24 pages (which was around half the minimum required length). Every week I'd go back and review and most of the time it turned out I'd missed key points or explanations which usually required adding content. By the end of the year I had a 120 page novella that got me max points in the course.

It's all about pushing yourself and not hitting a wall halfway through.

Imagine Morgan Freeman narrating your story. That actually helps when writing in the 3rd person >_>

that really helps. Thanks so much.