Triple your Battery Life for FREE! THIS METHOD REALLY WORKS!

Speaking of battery life in a laptop, can we get LTT to make a video demonstrating rechargeable battery bad practices and see how damaging a lithium-ion can cause?  I think it would be very useful with respect to laptop and smartphone battery life.

@GabenJr Can you pass this along to the team?  It would be very useful in conjunction to the Tech Quickie video by Linus here:

19 minutes ago, slavikcc said:

Speaking of battery life in a laptop, can we get LTT to make a video demonstrating rechargeable battery bad practices and see how damaging a lithium-ion can cause?  I think it would be very useful with respect to laptop and smartphone battery life.

@GabenJr Can you pass this along to the team?  It would be very useful in conjunction to the Tech Quickie video by Linus here:

Thread for this already exists:

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Actually, I'm not suggesting another Tech Quickie, but rather an indepth video similar to the latest LTT video.

1 hour ago, slavikcc said:

That pointy finger... Where have I seen that before? Who or what group likes their finger up like that...

I really appreciated this video; it'd always been a question on my mind, but I never had a chance to sit down and really test it. Thanks LTT

It's sad to see such a crappy title and thumbnail behind an actually nice video...

I mean come on those titles are the kind of crap marketing people come up with.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

11 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

just like those "sponsored ads" at the bottom of news articles that Linus is always hating on during WAN Shows.

I havent noticed

But then again I dont watch much of the WAN show because of a few factors. The biggest one is there is no prep, no deep insight from the panel. I just watch certain chapters that interest me, but its tending to be that I watch a bit of the chapter, then realize they really have no info. Just reading other articles, and winging it.

23 hours ago, shadowbyte said:

what the actual fuck is that title

also, who the hell attaches an external keyboard to their fucking laptop

FITE ME M8!

MY SCREEN IS BROKEN, SO I USE A EXTERNAL MONITOR!

Doesn't anybody understand that this video is mocking the type of tips it plans to use?

Then it goes and conclusively proves if they are useful or not, It doesn't matter if you would never use a rgb keyboard and mouse when on battery with full brightness ... What is important is whether not having them would have a significant impact on battery life. And to that end this video was pretty good and intersting.

The title is clickbait, absolutely, but due to the mocking tone of the video, I understand it is used ironically.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Decided to check out the video just to see how bad it was and oh boy. I was not disappointed.

Linus... How can you not be ashamed to put out this garbage? Do you not have have any ounce of respect or standards left? Or is it just that your lust for money is too strong?

Do you really not care about anything but money anymore? Because it certainly does not seem like you do.

"It's sarcasm"

No it's not. It's not sarcastic or ironic when you are just straight up doing the same thing and profiting from it. It just comes off as this comic:

n8umjWj.png.596233f73fa464177bbebbeec0231e6e.png

To start of with, the title. Let's look at what it says.

It says triple your battery life for free. OK so if I do the things mentioned in this video I will get three times as long battery life? That sounds too good to be true. But the video title ensures me that this method (so it's just one?) really works! So I am sure that if I do the thing in the video I will get three times my current battery life. That sounds great!

0:30

We couldn't resist quantitatively testing the Internet's current most popular battery saving techniques to determine once and for all just how much more life, down to the minute, these tricks can get you.

Well that's a lie. You did not mention minutes or even hours in your video (except in one test, the airplane mode one). So why say that you will determine how much battery you save down to the minute?

I like this video idea, but your execution was terrible and the clickbait is frankly disgusting. You're just getting worse and worse with this. Soon you will be posting titles like "you won't believe how much battery life this one trick can save you!".

1:21

We managed to get a measly 2 hours and 38 minutes out of the 2017 HP Spectre X360.

[We had to send it back to HP. The role of "Spectre X360 will be played by this understudy"]

Wait, so which laptop did you test? Did you do the tests with the Spectre X360 or did you do it with the laptop you showed in the video? I am asking because I genuinely don't know which laptop you tested. Your audio and video don't match, and the text on screen does not say if it was just for the glamor shot you used a different laptop or if you had to send the laptop back mid-test and started fresh with another laptop.

If you had to send the laptop back before you got some footage of it running then why not just not include that clip of a completely different laptop?

If you had to rerun the tests using this new laptop, why not change the voiceover to match what is actually happening on screen?

1:38

So we achieved this dubious feat by connecting a set of high end peripherals with the screen at full brightness, the balanced power plan, the keyboard backlight enabled, the screen at full resolution, Bluetooth enabled and WiFi connected.

Dubious sure is the right word. Right of the bat you're doing a pretty unreasonable test. I sure hope you did not use this as the baseline for your "triple your battery life", because then you're just straight up misleading people.

It would be like saying "this simple trick will triple your miles per gallon", and then as the baseline you only just first gear and try to drive at 40 miles per hour. Then when you stop being an idiot and change to fifth gear your mpg goes way up. Most people drive on a somewhat appropriate gear, so if you're going to tell them that they can triple their battery life, then you need to use a baseline that is somewhat representative of the average viewer. And trust me, there might be some people that bring their RGB keyboard and mouse with them, but they are a small minority.

02:06

Holy cow. We just boosted our battery by 25 to 30%.

[RGB Peripherals -30% battery life]

Hold on there Linus. This is a very big mistake when it comes to statistics. Boosting something by 30%, and reducing something by 30% are two completely different numbers.

I am sure you already know this, but in case someone who don't know how percentages works is reading this, I'll explain.

Let's say the laptop had a battery life of 100 minutes without the RGB stuff connected.

Since the text on the screen tells us that having them plugged in reduces the battery life by 30%, we can calculate that the laptop has a battery life of 70 minutes with the peripherals plugged in.

But wait, Linus just said that unplugging the peripherals boosted the battery life by 25 to 30%. How much is 70 minutes plus 30%?

70 * 1.3 = 91

91 is not the same as 100, right? So which one is it? Did plugging the peripherals in reduce the battery life by 30%, or did unplugging them boost the battery life by 30%? The audio and video gives conflicting numbers.

Going from 70 minutes to 100 minutes would be a boost of ~43%.

This is such a rookie mistake I can't believe someone with 10+ years of benchmarking experience (and what I presume is a basic education in math) would make such a mistake.

You got it right with the "20% shorter battery life" bit about the less flash peripherals though.

03:10

We went from 4K all the way down to 800x600

Did you really have to go that far? You know very well that nobody is going to subject themselves to such torture. Why not try something a bit more reasonable like 4K down to 1080p? Or maybe even throw in 720p as well and show a graph of how resolution and battery life correlated.

The rest of the tests were good.

Keyboard backlight test was interesting, but it would be interesting to see if having it at medium or low would have had the same impact as the screen on medium or low. This is assuming that the keyboard had multiple brightness settings of course.

Turning off USB ports/webcams and WiFi were good tests. Like you said, it's something people say all the time and it does not seem like they have done much testing to validate it.

The screen brightness test was good too, especially when you showed the nits numbers and not just assumed that the brightness curve was linear.

So two thumbs up for those tests.

05:30

Great question. For that we will need a new test. So we took everything we learned in phase one and collected a new set of baseline data that we feel is more representative of the real world.

Good. So is this the baseline you tripled your battery life from? Because like you said, this is the baseline that you feel should represent the real world.

07:44

But it just so happens that Skype, Slack and Spotify are all UWP apps, hence the significant boost in our results.

Ehm... Spotify is not an UWP app. I think your editor knew this as well because while you do show Skype and Slack in the store, you do not show Spotify.

If you knew that the info in the video was wrong, why not edit that part before releasing the video?

The summary of the video was good, but the 8 minutes you have to endure to get to the point of the video just feels really drawn out and boring.

By the way, since you have ran into issues testing battery life before (the browser tests), using the same laptop and same software using Windows 10, I assume you have fixed those issues? Because if rerunning the same test over and over gave widely different results (like it did during the browser tests) then this entire test if flawed. If you have fixed the issues, could you please give the browser battery life benchmark another shot?

On another note, why do you keep suggesting TunnelBear? I know that it's because they pay you, but seriously. There are far better VPN providers out there. Why recommend a mediocre product when you never mention some of the cheaper VPN providers which are also better in very significant ways? I would feel really bad if I knew I people were spending money on a mediocre product just because I got paid to encourage people to buy it.

also to add to @LAwLz comment, did you just add up all your percentages saved to reach 3x or did you actually do a run with EVERYTHING set the way you said saved battery to see that it actually did triple from the baseline?

On 5/26/2017 at 1:07 AM, Fooshi said:

THIS METHOD REALLY doesn't make me want to click that video at all.

That's just petty.

I guess it was also like a parody? 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I guess it was also like a parody? 

If it's impossible to discern the parody from the real thing, does it really matter what you call it?

Besides, saying something is a joke or parody is not a get out of jail free card. People are still allowed to disapprove and express their criticisms of it.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

On 5/25/2017 at 6:27 PM, Daniel644 said:

well thats kinda implied with the subject of the thread.

I do sometimes when I'm doing league or csgo and need to charge my phone for a bit but whatever. i get a good 2-3 hours on low brightness

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2017 at 3:22 PM, James said:

I don't consider myself super tech savvy so all the names of the parts are like what ever, it is faster then this other one great. I have been trying to find that last little tip he said and have not been able to. So what was the mode he said at the end.