Arctic Blue [build log]

Mr.Meerkat

arcticblue2.png.55ff747161355a50835ea5a3a4fcfd5f.png.4a2262cb614bab5768689cb406107c75.png

(Banner courtesy of @PCGuy_5960)

(Edit 30th May) All pictures posted after this update will be higher in quality as I have broadband so ya know :D 

Build completed (ish):

Tb2uReQ.jpg

RGB lighting is on a cycling effect hence its yellow :D 

Table of contents:

Main post

Major Update one (building the system with stock coolers)

Major Update two (Building the water cooling loop)

Major Update three (Overclocking)

Major Update four (TBD, should be painting the case and painting/vinyl wrapping the backplate of the fury)

Sneak peek of my WIP desk setup

Minor update one-complaining about Royal mail and the finalized list of WC parts

Minor update two-update on how I've finally recieved everything

So, I've finally decided and purchased parts for my new PC. @Ethocreeper and @PCGuy_5960 have seen how indecisive I was.

Old PC:

It had the very nice specs of: 

Spoiler

5820K@4.2Ghz

Asus X99-S

16GB HyperX Fury 4x4GB kit

H100i

Asus Strix RX470 4GB 

XFX Proseries limited black edition 1kW

MX100 256GB

WD black 1TB

White phantom 240

Did I need an upgrade? Nope

Did I want one? Yes

New PC:

Ryzen 7 1700 (as it's an upgrade)

MSI B350M Arctic (cause it's white)

Crucial ballistix white 2x8GB DDR4 (cause It's white)

Sapphire Fury cooled by a EK block 

XFX XXX 850watt (it once again is back in duty) with blue phanteks extentions.

White air 240

MX100 256GB (don't need anything better), courtesy of my mother, its now a MX300 1TB instead of the other two drives. 

WD black 1TB

(Edit 30th May)

List of Watercooling parts:

Fittings-EK ACF Blue 13/10mm compression fittings 

CPU block-XSPC Raystorm 

GPU block-EK fury block 

Pump/res-10W DDC and XSPC res combo

Rad 1-EK SE240 painted white

Rad 2-XSPC white 240mm rad

Tubing-13/10mm white which under UV turns blue

Fans: 2x enermax and 2x SP120

Anyway, unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of my old PC sooo...this will not be part of it.

Here's everything I've got so far.

DSC_0127.thumb.JPG.47045af1bf3c91e2b707d0bdb2bb0571.JPG

I should not be getting the other WC parts till Monday so...hey that's why I bought a 1700 :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Update one: 

Building the PC using stock heatsinks...

tmp-cam-1655012882.jpg.54405ada887405339d62319cae13a71e.jpg

I realise how shitty the cable management is however as I'm getting extentions and will be pulling everything out again for watercooling, I didn't bother spending time on it just yet. 

A have 2 minor and a major issue about the case, one of the minor things is how it took me 30 mins to realise which screw was to be used for holding the motherboard in. The screws look completely different to the manual and/or the typical screws used in my other builds. The second minor thing is the screwless pcie bracket holder...the GPU still wobbles...

Now the major issue, ermmm it's not a white internal? :/

@deXxterlab97, would you like me to paint it blue? :D

anyway, here are some other pictures.

Spoiler

tmp-cam-1377199588.jpg.06e2789f8149d67a12c98a99dca12601.jpg

tmp-cam-1472230831.jpg.30838e7066233c72f5f524d251d6d01e.jpg

Pls no hate for the low quality pictures...(if they are) as I'm on mobile with no broadband and only 1GB of data left for 7 days :/

And it lives!!

tmp-cam--903360797.jpg.6d584a3a2b206e419598d06110f2616d.jpg

Time to save the documents on the SSD onto the HDD and reinstall windows :)

On a side note, next update will come around on Monday so...will be a bit of a wait. 

Update: Loop installed 

Disclaimer: I ended up taking the photos with my phone after all as I was unable to find my A65 in my messy room (due to moving house) so plis don't hate for shitty pictures :D 

I managed to install the loop yesterday (01/06/17). It took me 9.5 hours due to many mistakes which is emphasised by how I only have 1-2m left of my original 5m of tubing that I started with. 

wrfxlRl.jpg

The blocks just installed effortlessly and well the only issue I had was the fan cable of the Trixx is extremely short which made it quite difficult to disconnect but other wise, simplez. 

Spoiler

EaEVEto.jpg

First radiator is installed :D

This is where the issues began, in this case, the radiator holes didn't align with the holes in the case. This just meant that its secured with 4 screws (rather than all 8) and how the fans had to be installed on the other side. No biggie. 

avH6zXE.jpg

Pump, GPU, motherboard installed with 2 runs completed. This is the bit that took me 6 hours to decide upon what I was going to do. Frankly I was originally going to mount the second rad where the pump is ATM (which fits perfectly alright without fans) and have the pump in the back however there was no way that I could have mounted the pump in the back as it required me to drill holes and at the time, I forgot how I have own a fucking dremel and a drill. This just meant that I ended up mounting the pump with the fan holes (at the bottom) and moved the rad to the back however it required me to remove the 3.5" hdd bays as well which has resulted in my HDD only being secured by the excess cables of the extensions and my PSU cables but hey, at least it doesn't move :P 

I will change it back to my original idea of pump in back and rad in front (compartments) when I drain my loop in the near future.

6LEtPEG.jpg

All the runs done, everything installed. As you can see, that run going from the GPU to the back compartment is really annoying me as it looks horrible and is 55cm(ish) long. I wasn't thinking straight at the time and god damn it looks horrible however, as I'll be changing the pump and rad around in the near future, that run will no longer exist and the system will look better overall :D

The cable management also leaves for quite a lot of things to be desired for however, as I'll be changing most of the runs anyway in the future, it will do as a temporary solution for now. 

Tx97tYO.jpg

Filling the loop, no leaks! 

KHzxhL8.jpg

Doesn't look too bad eh?

Closing thoughts for the build (for now):

Well this was an interesting experience, first time ever building a custom waterloop...

What I've learn't is with custom watercooling, you cannot rush it. You have to carefully plan each run properly and make sure you have all the tools required for the job (or in my case, use my brain). Anyway, overall, I think it looks pwetty decent and now finally with custom fan profiles, its also pretty quiet.

Improvements in the future:

Get some white vinyl and wrap the CPU block and the GPU backplate in it.

Drill the 4 holes for the pump and redo some of the runs

Add RGB lighting (already ordered a couple of strips of ebay)

Switch the LEDs on the Trixx into blue (I know you can do it with a flick of a switch however I forgot to xD)

Finally, not paint the insides as actually due to it being so dark, the black interior doesn't actually make it look bad :D 

Overall, as my first waterloop ever built, I'm pretty statisified and hey although I made mistakes, I've learn't from them which is good. 

Follow-up overclocking post should come today or tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled. 

Update: Overclocking and results

03/06/17

CPU:

So, my 1700 is now sitting at 3.7GHz@1.3v without sweating at all (50C max), getting close to 1500 points in cinebench, which is a noice 200-300 increase over my old 5820K@4.2GHz. 

Obviously I'll try to crank the frequency even higher and may set a even more aggressive fan curve (as currently all the fans are maxing out at 6volts) but it does the trick for now :D 

GPU: Yet to try overclocking...

Memory: 

Ermmmm....well I've tried 2933MHz at different voltages and timings however it is unable to post so...ermmmm...

26/06/17

CPU:

It is now sitting at 3.8GHz@1.31V (didn't try it at 1.30V), gonna stress it for a little while and hopefully its stable. 

Memory:

Nope, 2400MHz is the highest

GPU: Ermmmm...still haven't tried? xD

14/08/17

CPU:

Maxed out at 3.9GHz@1.36V, if I wanted 4GHz, it would need more than 1.4V and its not something I feel like doing on my current motherboard so...3.9GHz it is.

Memory:

Well with some extra voltage (1.4 volts), I am able to hit 2933MHz@16CL which I'm more than happy with considering that its 100% stable and it still a nice increase over the stock 2400MHz@16CL. 

GPU: 

You'll probably have to wait another month or so before you get the final result as I'm hitting 150-190FPS in R6S so not really in a rush for better performance...

Silly me, I forgot to update this :P (13/10/2017). 

GPU is now overclocked to 1185/580MHz and its nice n stable.

Can't wait to see it!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Neither of the part listed except RGB  Asus Strix and the SSD are blue. 1/10. 

20 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ryzen 7 1700 (as it's an upgrade)

Not in games actually, but yeah it is an upgrade:D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

well have fun, its going to be a nice upgrade but most of that is just going to be the Fury over the 470 lol. i thought about getting a similar build but i have instead settled for an I7 4790K and a GTX 1080TI or Vega equivlent + watercooling because why not lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

But it may have blue coolant :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

this is when he goes with orange coolant just to scew with everyone

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Me: makes a part list of blue components

Friend: how bout I pick random parts and have a blue loop in there

Me:.... 

28 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Is "blue phanteks extentions" not a good to suggest how it's gonna have blue as a secondary colour?

You know I've always have said white and blue is best colour combo...

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

*blue tubing with distilled water

50 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Is "blue phanteks extentions" not a good to suggest how it's gonna have blue as a secondary colour?

You know I've always have said white and blue is best colour combo...

nooooooo

53 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*blue tubing with distilled water

*still puts orange cooat in the pipes because why not*

Builds:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

nooooooo

My build, it's white and blue, white is primary while blue is secondary, deal with it :)

On a side note, what kind of paint would you use to paint a case?

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

My build, it's white and blue, white is primary while blue is secondary, deal with it :)

the stuff in a can that you use for cars

Builds:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Blue is da best! 

28 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

white and blueee

28 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Wait, white and blue!? The same color scheme as me! White and blue fit so nicely together, am I right?

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Wait, white and blue!? The same color scheme as me! White and blue fit so nicely together, am I right?

Mine is white and blue too

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

8 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

intel fanboy colors....

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

But I don't give 2 craps about looks (atleast yet. Maybe when I get a job)

I had an old 20 year old case but I had to get a new one

The side panel whoudnt close and I also had to make some holes and rip off some shit to fit the zotac amp extreme 1070 I got.

And my drives were just hanging there cause I had to rip the drive cage too

So I got the zalman z9 neo for 69 which is white and the 2 top fans have whit leds. Looks nice but unfortunately only 2 HDDs and 2 ssds so in the future I have to find a way to fit more

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

The side panel whoudnt close and I also had to make some holes and rip off some shit to fit the zotac amp extreme 1070 I got.

dude, i solved that one by just removeing mine all together :P 

Builds:

Spoiler