Samsung S8 Iris Scanner may not be quite as secure...

Well, in a strange turn of events where if you go someone a challenge, they'll find a way around it, a researcher with the Chaos Computer Club has found a way to fool the Iris Scanner on the Samsung S8...  It would appear that this process involves getting a good resolution photo of the persons face/eye, printing it off on paper and gluing a contact lens on top of the eye.  According to the Bleeping Computer Article:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/samsung-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner-fooled-by-a-photo/

Launched on March 29, the Galaxy S8 model is Samsung's most advanced product to date, featuring multiple biometrics authentication systems on top of the classic pattern and PIN locking systems. This includes a fingerprint scanner, a facial recognition system, and an iris scanner.

According to research published today, it took a CCC researcher less than two months to breake the latter.

Named Jan “Starbug” Krissler, this CCC researcher realized that by taking a photo of a phone owner's face, an attacker with physical access to the device would be able to unlock the phone just by printing the photo on paper and flashing it in front of the phone's front camera.

But there's a trick to the attack. Modern iris scanners (and facial recognition systems) are programmed to use image depth in order to distinguish between (2D) photos and a human's real (3D) eye.

Krissler bypassed this hurdle by gluing a contact lens on top of the image depicting the eye. This created a round surface on top of the iris photo, which was more than enough to trick the phone.

To get the best results, Krissler recommends that users take photos using a camera's night-shot mode, as it captures iris details better for individuals with darker eye colors.

Ironically, Krissler also said he achieved the best results when he printed the iris photos using a Samsung laser printer.

According to the researcher, "a good digital camera with 200mm-lens at a distance of up to five meters is sufficient to capture suitably good pictures to fool iris recognition systems."

So in addition to the facial recognition not being quite as up to par as was previously reported by @GoodBytes, it now appears that the Iris Scanner can be fooled.  In my opinion, this is a good reason to have multi-factor identification on hand, including something that you have to have memorized, as it is a lot harder to read or spoof your memory...  

9 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Well, in a strange turn of events where if you go someone a challenge, they'll find a way around it, a researcher with the Chaos Computer Club has found a way to fool the Iris Scanner on the Samsung S8...  It would appear that this process involves getting a good resolution photo of the persons face/eye, printing it off on paper and gluing a contact lens on top of the eye.  According to the Bleeping Computer Article:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/samsung-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner-fooled-by-a-photo/

So in addition to the facial recognition not being quite as up to par as was previously reported by @GoodBytes, it now appears that the Iris Scanner can be fooled.  In my opinion, this is a good reason to have multi-factor identification on hand, including something that you have to have memorized, as it is a lot harder to read or spoof your memory...  

no offense but u know if this info can be used to bypass s8 security why put it online i mean people can look at this info and might actually try to steal s8's to try to unlock without paying any money i don't know why people do this if u find some trick or hack keep it to yourself

Welp DNA scanners next

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, CyberFerno said:

no offense but u know if this info can be used to bypass s8 security why put it online i mean people can look at this info and might actually try to steal s8's to try to unlock without paying any money i don't know why people do this if u find some trick or hack keep it to yourself

Generally its not public knowledge or he or they let Samsung know.  If they dont respond within 5 days of contact you are technically allowed to release the bug to further public knowledge on the security of their devices. :) 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

2 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

Generally its not public knowledge or he or they let Samsung know.  If they dont respond within 5 days of contact you are technically allowed to release the bug to further public knowledge on the security of their devices. :) 

but 99% of the time, people don't try this one person found out how to unlock an iphone without the passcode so he went ooh yes people will watch a video on this and i'll get views so let's make a video on this and post it

Just now, CyberFerno said:

but 99% of the time, people don't try this one person found out how to unlock an iphone without the passcode so he went ooh yes people will watch a video on this and i'll get views so let's make a video on this and post it

Making this public, and making a video can be for personal gain and make them be as you'd say "Unethical" however this still puts the error in the light of day and allows others to decide to either lock their phones with a thumb print or just a passcode. Also if and more of when Samsung sees this they'll fix it.  I understand what you're getting at but you're not seeing the full picture. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

1 minute ago, Nikolithebear said:

Making this public, and making a video can be for personal gain and make them be as you'd say "Unethical" however this still puts the error in the light of day and allows others to decide to either lock their phones with a thumb print or just a passcode. Also if and more of when Samsung sees this they'll fix it.  I understand what you're getting at but you're not seeing the full picture. 

oh alright

It took this guy 2 months to figure this out?  This sounds like something Mythbusters would have tried in the first hour.

Also, good luck getting a high enough resolution image of someone's eye for this to work.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It took this guy 2 months to figure this out?  This sounds like something Mythbusters would have tried in the first hour.

Also, good luck getting a high enough resolution image of someone's eye for this to work.

really? a 350$ DSLR shoots at over 5k and can easily get the res needed. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

t this process involves getting a good resolution photo of the persons face/eye, printing it off on paper and gluing a contact lens on top of the eye.  

Boy , That sounded like an episode of Mr.Bean trying to break in through the security system

Details separate people.

i'm just sitting here with my nexus 5x running Android O and thinking, yea....i won't be upgrading for a long time.....

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Since we're talking about the safety of authentication methods, I would like to point out, if I'm not wrong that there doesn't seem to be a single reported case where the second gen touch ID of iPhone 6S and later phones being spoofed.

It would be impressive if the first method that they used to trick 5S and 6 didn't work, even though it was pretty cumbersome method, to begin with 

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

7 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

According to the researcher, "a good digital camera with 200mm-lens at a distance of up to five meters is sufficient to capture suitably good pictures to fool iris recognition systems."

They covered that part. Not easy but not hard either.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

20 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Since we're talking about the safety of authentication methods, I would like to point out, if I'm not wrong that there doesn't seem to be a single reported case where the second gen touch ID of iPhone 6S and later phones being spoofed.

It would be impressive if the first method that they used to trick 5S and 6 didn't work, even though it was pretty cumbersome method, to begin with 

Because the TouchID sensor also reads underneath the skin, not just the top layer. That's why it's very hard to fool it with something like a silicon finger or something.

Ye ole' train

Ah, consumer grade biometrics for experienced penetrators are like butter vs axe when their will to discover a flaw is endless.

Professional ones more than likely are miles better than what you get on a phone built for people.

Groomlake Authority

9 hours ago, CyberFerno said:

because security by obscurity is bad. other hackers and other people with bad intentions will find this flaw, its their income to do so. would you rather only have them know it?

7 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Because the TouchID sensor also reads underneath the skin, not just the top layer. That's why it's very hard to fool it with something like a silicon finger or something.

Well, then it's pretty secure. As far as I see we iris scanner seems to be a step backwards when we already have something proven and equally if not more convenient. 

10 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Probably more like it two months to get the method working. Probably a lot of trial and error. I don't think it took two months to come up with the idea - or at least I would hope not.

I use fingerprint along pattern though. Have S6 and funny how iris and face recognision gets passed so easily. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

I feel like you can trick any of these Iris Cameras. Not just Samsung.

Windows Hello? Not at the moment, at least as far as I'm concerned.

8 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

There are methods to spoof Touch ID but it requires the actual finger of the person. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Welp DNA scanners next

I'm not buying a phone that needs a spit sample to unlock

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

digital identification is easy to break since its all pattern recognition. if you can simulate the pattern you break it. same as face recognition and finger print. so yeah, you want true security, it will be a sensor that take live sample from your body, fresh blood, tissue, spit etc.