Could a School Body Track a Facebook Page to Creator?

Aleksbgbg

A while ago one of my friends at school created a 'meme page' of some of the generally disliked teachers in our school, however the school later found out that he was the creator, as all of page followers were questioned and they had to give it away eventually. They only knew it was him because he told them.

Out of sheer curiosity (I have no plan to do this)...

If I was to do the same thing, except I wouldn't tell anyone, and thus no one, even after questioning, would be able to give away any information that it was me that created it, would the school be able to somehow enforce tracking and find it was me? Would they be able to take the page down?

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

They could report it to Facebook and they might take it down, if it qualified as hate speech or any other reason they could find. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

A while ago one of my friends at school created a 'meme page' of some of the generally disliked teachers in our school, however the school later found out that he was the creator, as all of page followers were questioned and they had to give it away eventually. They only knew it was him because he told them.

If I was to do the same thing, except I wouldn't tell anyone, and thus no one, even after questioning, would be able to give away any information that it was me that created it, would the school be able to somehow enforce tracking and find it was me? Would they be able to take the page down?

Basically if they dont like it they will report it and facebook will take it down because they cant handle free speech.

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

7 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Set up a fake profile and only run the page through a VPN protected browser.  Then there isn't a way to really track it at all.

• CPU
    i7 6700k overclocked to 4.7 GHZ @1.38v
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
  • RAM
    32GB Gskill Ripjaws @3200mhz
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
    500 GB SSD and 12TB mechanical HDD some soon to be split to NAS
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

Just now, SaintPosum said:

Set up a fake profile and only run the page through a VPN protected browser.  Then there isn't a way to really track it at all.

Also subscribe to the page with your real profile to differ suspicion

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

1 minute ago, jet224presents said:

Basically if they dont like it they will report it and facebook will take it down because they cant handle free speech.

If it had hate speech, probably. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be taken down. I just wouldn't edit it at school to prevent being caught (hypothetically of course).

9 minutes ago, jet224presents said:

Private company. You're not entitled to free speech on their platform.

Just now, Jade said:

Private company. You're not entitled to free speech on their platform.

true true

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I'm all for harmless memes but you have to consider that even if you manage to obfuscate the creator, the whole point of the Facebook posts is to show it to other people who can relate (other school students) And how are you going to get them to know of it without starting the ball rolling yourself? And then it would be possible through questioning to trace back to you again. If they can't trace to the culprit, then some unlucky person is going to have a bad day, or the whole school is going to have a bad day. If you spread it to outsiders instead of school people, that would then fall along the lines of defamation.

You could do an email blast to the whole school about it from a fake account. Not that i'm condoning that, because lying about your name online is illegal.

The school system would probably block the email blast though.

1 minute ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

You could do an email blast to the whole school about it from a fake account. Not that i'm condoning that, because lying about your name online is illegal.

The school system would probably block the email blast though.

Wouldn't be hard to just privately email people on their own email addresses, and I can sure make a program for that xD

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

As long as you use a VPN or something like the .onion version of facebook then they cannot really track you down

Hello

8 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Wouldn't be hard to just privately email people on their own email addresses, and I can sure make a program for that xD

You should create a group of AOL accounts to email the students with. (In theory)

If what you are posting violates the law in some manner then it is possible for the page info to be subpoena'd.  That being said if you are very careful about not having anything identifying on the page that leads back to you; then you should be fine.  The problem however is that if you are very secretive about the page; then how will you get followers?  For this i probably would go somewhere on FB where you know your classmates hang out and maybe make a posting or two to get some bites; then let word of mouth carry it from there.

1 hour ago, SaintPosum said:

Also subscribe to the page with your real profile to differ suspicion

Bad idea.  If he does it too soon after the page is created then it will make him a prime candidate for being it's creator.

At minimum it would provide his name as a person of interests for interviewing.  The previous page he mentioned all of the people who followed it were questioned.  It's better not to draw too much, or any, attention to yourself in these situations.  

1 minute ago, Thunderpup said:

If what you are posting violates the law in some manner then it is possible for the page info to be subpoena'd.  That being said if you are very careful about not having anything identifying on the page that leads back to you; then you should be fine.  The problem however is that if you are very secretive about the page; then how will you get followers?  For this i probably would go somewhere on FB where you know your classmates hang out and maybe make a posting or two to get some bites; then let word of mouth carry it from there.

Bad idea.  If he does it too soon after the page is created then it will make him a prime candidate for being it's creator.

At minimum it would provide his name as a person of interests for interviewing.  The previous page he mentioned all of the people who followed it were questioned.  It's better not to draw too much, or any, attention to yourself in these situations.  

true but also suspicious if you are the one person in your grade not subbed.

Either way more hassle that its worth IMO

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

2 hours ago, jet224presents said:

Free speech =/= cyber bullying though. Funny how many people think free speech means they have right to attack others.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

old fashioned questioning. kids are stupid and gullible. this is why your friend admitted to his crime.

Im surprised kids havnt caught on to projects like diaspora

https://diasporafoundation.org/

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, Aleksbgbg said:

It's easy to see who created the group, in the members section it says it clearly as either "created group" or just says joined and doesn't have an "added by" if the groups invite only

*edit* yep, here it is it, it says clearly when someone creates a group, he should have used another account. 

Untitled.jpg

Yours faithfully