Best way to backup?

A few hours ago I messed up my registry and even though I had a backup (of the registry), it didn't restore for some reason. 

After many failed attempts, using system restore, I was able to get things working again, but as with every system restore, a lot of programs were 'broken'. And it was such a pain just to reinstall them.

Now I need some help with backups, to help me in case of such a situation (or worse, a drive failure) :

1) Windows:

I know that if I create a System image, I can get things exactly how they were in case of any problem, but it takes up a tonne of space. 

Is it really worth giving up so much space? or is there any other way to take any kind of backup that can help me in a situation like this?

2) Personal files:

As for personal files, I don't have any sort of backup. Should I just use file history or, something like 'Storage Spaces' with a 'RAID-5 like' config (the parity option)? Any other alternative that you would suggest?

Thanks! :) 

Macrium Reflect for images of the system (grandfather/father/son/incremental) and an off-site backup of files only.

Don't rely on RAID for backups. Backups should be kept on drives that are removable from the system except to rewrite changes. For example, my server backup turns on to do the backups and the disk then shuts off one minute later so that any drive wear and vibration will not affect the drive. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Macrium Reflect for images of the system (grandfather/father/son/incremental) and an off-site backup of files only.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just use the backup in Windows on a external drive. Raid or storage spaces isn't a backup. 

Will check out Macrium Reflect. Thanks!

And,  

I don't have any drives at hand. Need to purchase one, does it matter if its internal or external? Its just gonna store backups anyways. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just now, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Need to purchase one, does it matter if its internal or external?

I'd prefer using external that way you can detach easily. Just in case a virus/malware encrypts your drive, the detached eHDD will be safe from the encryption.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Will check out Macrium Reflect. Thanks!

And,  

I don't have any drives at hand. Need to purchase one, does it matter if its internal or external? Its just gonna store backups anyways. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd get an external hard drive and just backup all your stuff and keep it plugged out and offline until you need the files or need to add some more. That way, that drive will be immune to any power outages or viruses etc.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd prefer using external that way you can detach easily. Just in case a virus/malware encrypts your drive, the detached eHDD will be safe from the encryption.

1 minute ago, pelark said:

I'd get an external hard drive and just backup all your stuff and keep it plugged out and offline until you need the files or need to add some more. That way, that drive will be immune to any power outages or viruses etc.

Thanks guys! xD 

On 5/23/2017 at 0:45 PM, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

A few hours ago I messed up my registry and even though I had a backup (of the registry), it didn't restore for some reason. 

After many failed attempts, using system restore, I was able to get things working again, but as with every system restore, a lot of programs were 'broken'. And it was such a pain just to reinstall them.

Now I need some help with backups, to help me in case of such a situation (or worse, a drive failure) :

1) Windows:

I know that if I create a System image, I can get things exactly how they were in case of any problem, but it takes up a tonne of space. 

Is it really worth giving up so much space? or is there any other way to take any kind of backup that can help me in a situation like this?

2) Personal files:

As for personal files, I don't have any sort of backup. Should I just use file history or, something like 'Storage Spaces' with a 'RAID-5 like' config (the parity option)? Any other alternative that you would suggest?

Thanks! :) 

I heard a rhyme on the TekThing dot com video stream.  3-2-1.

...3 total backups. Of those,

...2 different formats (DVD, mechanical hard drive, a separate computer).

...1 backup off-site.

Makes sense to me. My 2 cents...