The "New" Surface Pro

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

I know there is a demand and part of the reason is because smartphones, but memory should of not almost doubled in price since last summer

it has more than doubled. single stick of 8gb ddr4 ram now is 60 bucks here. i bought 2x8gb 3ghz cl15 ram for 70 bucks about a year ago, that kit now costs 150 bucks. its mental.

2 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

No mention of LTE on the site for the model releasing in june. No Pen, No keyboard included at the same price as older ones.

The SP4 launched at $899 with a pen and no keyboard. Then they dropped the price to $799 without the pen. So the SP5 is at the same pricepoint. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The SP4 launched at $899 with a pen and no keyboard. Then they dropped the price to $799 without the pen. So the SP5 is at the same pricepoint. 

The listing on the site shows the pre-order for $999 (i5) with no keyboard, or pen  

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I disagree with you there. I think both are equally valuable -- having a magnetic charger is great, but so is having a ubiquitous charge port that can also be used for other connectivity. 

How so? You need 65W for the Surface Pro. You still need to carry a power adapter of the same size with you.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

How so? You need 65W for the Surface Pro. You still need to carry a power adapter of the same size with you.

If all laptops switch toe USB-C charging, then you can use basically any charger you want -- and that is the trend we're seeing. All Macs charge over USB-C and so do the 12" MB competitors. If everything switches to USB-C, which they should, then you could use any charger for anything. I'd take that over magnetic charging any day -- especially since you can buy a magnetic cable (like a Griffin Breaksafe) if you want it so badly. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If all laptops switch toe USB-C charging, then you can use basically any charger you want -- and that is the trend we're seeing. All Macs charge over USB-C and so do the 12" MB competitors. If everything switches to USB-C, which they should, then you could use any charger for anything. I'd take that over magnetic charging any day -- especially since you can buy a magnetic cable (like a Griffin Breaksafe) if you want it so badly. 

You carry 2 laptops with you? And will that be a common thing in 2017?

The best way for this type of device is: magnetic charger, USB Type-C (data/video only), and USB Type-A

9 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

The listing on the site shows the pre-order for $999 (i5) with no keyboard, or pen  

Oh they took away the stylus from all models, I thought they just removed it from the base model with the SP5. 

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You carry 2 laptops with you? And will that be a common thing in 2017?

The best way for this type of device is: magnetic charger, USB Type-C (data/video only), and USB Type-A

I actually do, but I meant that I can easily borrow a charger from someone else since I usually don't carry one with me. Plus a USB-C charger is also cheaper, which means it's reasonable to have chargers in every room.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I actually do, but I meant that I can easily borrow a charger from someone else since I usually don't carry one with me. Plus a USB-C charger is also cheaper, which means it's reasonable to have chargers in every room.

Get a system that fits your needs then. And you are too few.

How is USB Type-C charger cheaper?

What if you have 1 laptop that consumes 90W, and you have 65W USB Type-C? So now you'll carry a 130W monstrosity of PSU everywhere, and have one in all rooms?

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Get a system that fits your needs then. And you are too few.

How is USB Type-C charger cheaper?

What if you have 1 laptop that consumes 90W, and you have 65W USB Type-C? So now you'll carry a 130W monstrosity of PSU everywhere, and have one in all rooms?

I know most people don't use multiple laptops, but plenty of people do ask to borrow chargers. And there is no one system that suits my needs. I use my rMBP the vast majority of the time and I use my SP3 when I need to take handwritten notes. Unfortunately, there is no way to combine the two into one device.

Because most/all type-c chargers I've seen have a USB output on the brick, so I can buy any brick I want rather than being stuck with a patented and proprietary one. Open standards lead to lower prices. Not to mention when chargers break (which they do), it's the cable/cable joint that usually frays -- with a USB-C charger you can just swap the (cheap) cable instead of having to replace the entire (expensive) charger.

The 65w charger will still work, it will just work more slowly, and most people don't travel with a massive laptop that requires a 130w charger. For most people a 65w charger would work just fine. And yes, I would leave a 90w charger in my bedroom, living room, and bag. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I know most people don't use multiple laptops, but plenty of people do ask to borrow chargers. And there is no one system that suits my needs. I use my rMBP the vast majority of the time and I use my SP3 when I need to take handwritten notes. Unfortunately, there is no way to combine the two into one device.

Because most/all type-c chargers I've seen have a USB output on the brick, so I can buy any brick I want rather than being stuck with a patented and proprietary one. Open standards lead to lower prices. Not to mention when chargers break (which they do), it's the cable/cable joint that usually frays -- with a USB-C charger you can just swap the (cheap) cable instead of having to replace the entire (expensive) charger

Actually, you still have USB Type-C charger where you can't replace the adapter, including phone ones. This is because the high amount of power being passed through, you need a certified cable, and manufacture don't want to deal with people complaining about melted cable, or broken devices because the third party USB Type-C they used is badly made. An issue still there due to the higher cost of manufacturing USB Type-C cable due to the needed circuit, over traditional power connectors.

For me, magnetic cable has saved my Surface Pro from flying off, or breaking the power connector plug and/or cable several times. This is because it is a device that is small, and can be used anywhere at home and outside, and this is despite being careful. I would probably be on my 4th Surface Pro now if it wasn't for magnetic power connector. Let's compare cost... say 2 Surface Pro only. 2x Surface Pro is considerable cheaper than a second power adapter, at least when I do the math.

The 65w charger will still work, it will just work more slowly, and most people don't travel with a massive laptop that requires a 130w charger. For most people a 65w charger would work just fine. And yes, I would leave a 90w charger in my bedroom, living room, and bag. 

Not necessary. You are assuming the device has a multi-voltage recharge circuit. While premium devices like the Surface Pro can operate with 45W charger, and very slow charging (which is what the Pro 3 comes with, because people where complaining that the small 65W one of the Pro 1 and 2 model where still too big). The device takes ages to charge when operating. It needs to be turned off to get full speed charging. Meaning that if your battery is low, it takes several hours to charge the device, not allowing you to get out easily of the low battery like status. And that is again, ASSUMING that the device has this dual operating charging circuit. Many laptops will not recharge the battery at all, and some will drastically downclock the CPU/GPU to allow to operate in this, what the manufacture sees, "emergency mode".

All to say, you have no guaranty on the behavior.

To clarify, USB Type-C is great to have. But magnetic power connector is more valuable. Looking at Apple users reaction on the new MacBook Pro, highlight this. People didn't care about 2 or 4 USB Type-C, They want the magnetic connector.

1 hour ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Nope,The Surface Pro 5 only comes with a iGPU,no dedicated GPU,thank god or the price will be yelled at.

Then how is it Pro? What if you want to do graphics work on it? 

1 hour ago, NinerL said:

$2,700 for the top model and no dedicated GPU

Ouch! You can get a 15" MacBook Pro with dGPU for that price, and it has like 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports! And you can use FCP X, with is a $300 one time purchase for 4+ computers, whereas Premier Pro is a subscription, so you have to keep paying for it forever. 

(Besides, the Mac is super slim and awesome and all that)

(And yes, I'm a fanboy, at least until they take the physical buttons off the iPhone and wrap the screen around the edges, then I'll be ready to stone them)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Then how is it Pro? What if you want to do graphics work on it? 

There are pro tasks that don't rely on GPU power. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

There are pro tasks that don't rely on GPU power. 

Yup. Though they don't even give you the option if you do need a dGPU. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

It's still a tablet. There is a finite amount of space. And it's also not a perfect product for all tasks -- the SP/SB line is still shit as a laptop as far as I'm concerned.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's still a tablet. There is a finite amount of space.

Look at the new MacBook Pros. they are super slim (slimmer than a MacBook Air), and can still pack a dGPU. And the HP Spectre x360 is a pretty slim laptop, and it manages to fit a dGPU. They could fit one in if they really wanted to. 

Main PC 

Thats what the surfacebook is for. The surface pro is still primarily a tablet, full laptops have room for a dGPU, the pro does not. There are physical limitations.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Look at the new MacBook Pros. they are super slim (slimmer than a MacBook Air), and can still pack a dGPU. And the HP Spectre x360 is a pretty slim laptop, and it manages to fit a dGPU. They could fit one in if they really wanted to. 

Both of those have substantially more room than the SP does. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Both of those have substantially more room than the SP does. 

Hmm. I suppose the SP is packing the display on top of everything else. SO if you do need a supertablet to run full win10, then it's a good choice if you've got the $$$. I'd just get a MacBook Pro or Air, or an iPad if I had to have a tablet.  

Main PC 

Hmm. I suppose the SP is packing the display on top of everything else. SO if you do need a supertablet to run full win10, then it's a good choice if you've got the $$$. I'd just get a MacBook Pro or Air, or an iPad if I had to have a tablet.  

If you don't need the pen, then you should not even be looking at the Surface Pro. They are far better and/or cheaper options available.

52 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Oh they took away the stylus from all models, I thought they just removed it from the base model with the SP5. 

All models, its a damned shame. It better be a damned good step up seeing how they let issues continue to plague the sp3/4

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Another overpriced and underpowered Appl... I mean Microsoft model. 

Having great build design and materials is awesome but not when the end product itself barely cuts the mustard compute wise. Investing in a solid product build that far out lasts the usefulness of it's lifting power is not exactly the smartest thing.

50 minutes ago, dexT said:

Another overpriced and underpowered Appl... I mean Microsoft model. 

Having great build design and materials is awesome but not when the end product itself barely cuts the mustard compute wise. Investing in a solid product build that far out lasts the usefulness of it's lifting power is not exactly the smartest thing.

You're assuming someone needs more power than a core m3/4gb of ram (And the i5/i7 variant isn't really any different from other ultrabooks). I bought a used SP3 for purely taking notes with the pen and nothing else, so the i3-4020y and 4gb of ram is plenty forever for that use.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're assuming someone needs more power than a core m3/4gb of ram (And the i5/i7 variant isn't really any different from other ultrabooks). I bought a used SP3 for purely taking notes with the pen and nothing else, so the i3-4020y and 4gb of ram is plenty forever for that use.

Yes I'm assuming, being labeled pro and all.

I bought a composition notebook and a couple of pens from the dollar store at $2 for purely taking notes.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

And you can use FCP X, with is a $300 one time purchase for 4+ computers, whereas Premier Pro is a subscription, so you have to keep paying for it forever. 

Or you could just get DaVinci Resolve for free.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Then it also would have to be bigger. The new MacBook Pro and HP Spectre x360 is way bigger than what Surface Pro is.
Those two laptops, is 15,6" screen, Surface Pro is 12.3.
Those two laptops is 1,8 kg, Surface pro is less than 800 g.
Those two laptops is around 15 mm tick, Surface pro is 8mm.

It is no way Surface Pro could have a dGPU without beeing bigger than it is.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking