So I lost the Silicon Lottery, considering a delid .. need some advice.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Your very welcome bud.  It's a lot of fun overclocking these things once they are delidded!

Once you get as much as you think you can out of the chip, start a new thread or hit me up via PM and I'll see if I can't help you squeeze a bit more out of it.

Good luck!

Thanks again for being super helpful. I love tinkering and this will be a great little project. That's why I love the PC platform as cooler master says "Make it your own!" :)

@done12many2

You should buy Ryzen build and compare it with your Intel builds. Then make a detailed comparison between Ryzen and Intel in 1080p, 1440p, 4K with differend tasks etc.

So next time when someone is asking about Intel vs Ryzen, you can just link him to your review-comparison thread and we are done with that discussion.

I know you want to do that :P

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

@done12many2

You should buy Ryzen build and compare it with your Intel builds. Then make a detailed comparison between Ryzen and Intel in 1080p, 1440p, 4K with differend tasks etc.

So next time when someone is asking about Intel vs Ryzen, you can just link him to your review-comparison thread and we are done with that discussion.

I know you want to do that :P

Funny that you mention it as I am pretty set on doing a Intel Skylake X and a AMD Threadripper build.

I've been doing some folding lately and both platforms support a lot of GPUs. :)

I'm running out of room for shit in my office. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Funny that you mention it as I am pretty set on doing a Intel Skylake X and a AMD Threadripper build.

I've been doing some folding lately and both platforms support a lot of GPUs. :)

I'm glad to hear that, so we can see some good stuff from you :)

And stop with those excuses ... just make extension to your office and you are good to go.

Are you only interested in Threadripper? No Ryzen?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm sorry if this is a bit personal, you don't have to answer, but where on earth do you find the money to fund these extravagant builds?

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Threadripper is officially dubbed "Ryzen Threadripper" 

Bit of a mouthful. Ryzen 9 would have been better, with Threadripper as a codename, kind of like Summit Ridge is the codename for the desktop Ryzen 3/5/7 chips.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

12 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I'm glad to hear that, so we can see some good stuff from you :)

And stop with those excuses ... just make extension to your office and you are good to go.

I have been toying with a crazy cooling idea involving a water chiller installed in the basement below my office and a pass through panel in the floor.  :D

Since I currently have a 5960x / x99, Ryzen isn't really needed.  If I'm going to be bringing on more GPUs, the 40 CPU PCIe lanes is pretty valuable.  Threadripper has tons of CPU PCIe lanes like x99 and x299.

10 minutes ago, NuclearKing said:

I'm sorry if this is a bit personal, you don't have to answer, but where on earth do you find the money to fund these extravagant builds?

Thug life.  xD

Seriously though, I'm a bit older then the average LTT member so anyone that perceives that I have a lot of money is probably just at an earlier stage in life.  No big deal. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

eriously though, I'm a bit older then the average LTT member so anyone that perceives that I have a lot of money is probably just at an earlier stage in life.  No big deal. 

Probably just the result of a steady successful career and well budgeted expenses, which leaves a nice bit of room for the amazing PC building hobby that I hope to achieve one day as well. 

GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Just now, NuclearKing said:

Probably just the result of a steady successful career and well budgeted expenses, which leaves a nice bit of room for the amazing PC building hobby that I hope to achieve one day as well. 

You hit the nail on the head buddy.  My wife and I started doing things with money years ago so that I could retire while I was young enough to hang out with my kids as they were growing up.  Plan worked out for us.  

Summer break is almost here and I get to spend a couple of months playing games and acting like an idiot with my kids.  Lucky for me, they are all into PCs as well.  

29 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I have been toying with a crazy cooling idea involving a water chiller installed in the basement below my office and a pass through panel in the floor.  :D

Since I currently have a 5960x / x99, Ryzen isn't really needed.  If I'm going to be bringing on more GPUs, the 40 CPU PCIe lanes is pretty valuable.  Threadripper has tons of CPU PCIe lanes like x99 and x299.

Thug life.  xD

Seriously though, I'm a bit older then the average LTT member so anyone that perceives that I have a lot of money is probably just at an earlier stage in life.  No big deal. 

I like that idea with water going trough your house and into your components. Not sure if your wife would agree though :P

Well since Ryzen isn't that expensive and you would only need to buy CPU + motherboard, I thought that you will want to at least try it.

21 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You hit the nail on the head buddy.  My wife and I started doing things with money years ago so that I could retire while I was young enough to hang out with my kids as they were growing up.  Plan worked out for us.  

Summer break is almost here and I get to spend a couple of months playing games and acting like an idiot with my kids.  Lucky for me, they are all into PCs as well.  

You retired already? And I barely just started working, so 40 more years to go lol

It's good to hear that you can spend more time with your family. 

Thread is off the rails once again.

Sorry OP.

WD My Cloud 4TB

@Simon771 

Oh I dont care, got my answer .. as you were people ..... you may now return to your normally scheduled squabbling ... Intel blah AMD blah blah

Image result for amd vs intel

You got a 7700k to worry about warranty? Bruh.

Just Delidd already, serious drops in temps.

Oh and I tacked SG on 2 sides only, using any sorts of adhesive or

gasket type will or might not make it seat properly. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Just now, Foxxer said:

You got a 7700k to worry about warranty? Bruh.

Just Delidd already, serious drops in temps.

Oh and I tacked SG on 2 sides only, using any sorts of adhesive or

gasket type will or might not make it seat properly. 

Even when using the supplied vice with the de-lidder to clamp it down when applying glue? 

13 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Even when using the supplied vice with the de-lidder to clamp it down when applying glue? 

Once you apply the silicone adhesive, and then the IHS to the substrate, clamp it down with the delidding/relidding tool or place it back into the motherboard CPU socket and clamp down with the CPU retention mechanism. 

It will not cause it to "not seat properly."

Here's an 8 hr RealBench stress test with a resealed 7700k at 1.44v (5.3 GHz CPU / 5 GHz cache).  I think you'll find that it seated just fine and that temps are more then acceptable. 

I don't ever recommend superglue. I'd rather see you free float the IHS. 

Again, good luck bud. 

(Passed) RealBench 8hr Stress Test @5.3_5.0_3200 XMP with 1.449v average Vcore.jpg

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Once you apply the silicone adhesive, and then the IHS to the substrate, clamp it down with the delidding/relidding tool or place it back into the motherboard CPU socket and clamp down with the CPU retention mechanism. 

It will not cause it to "not seat properly."

Here's an 8 hr RealBench stress test with a resealed 7700k at 1.44v.  I think you'll find that it seated just fine and that temps are more then acceptable. 

I don't ever recommend superglue. I'd rather see you free float the IHS. 

Again, good luck bud. 

(Passed) RealBench 8hr Stress Test @5.3_5.0_3200 XMP with 1.449v average Vcore.jpg

NIce, all bits arriving in 2 days .. exciting.

P.S Yeah I watched a few distaster fail videos of people using SuperGlue, as it reacts with and binds to the green PCB. Removing it can cause the glue to lift the layer with it and damage it if I were re-de-lided.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, mrzoltowski said:

NIce, all bits arriving in 2 days .. exciting.

Nice!  Looking forward to hearing about your results. 

P.S Yeah I watched a few distaster fail videos of people using SuperGlue, as it reacts with and binds to the green PCB. Removing it can cause the glue to lift the layer with it and damage it if I were re-de-lided.

Exactly.  You're not trying to permanently bond the IHS. You just need it to stick good enough for general installation and removal of the CPU. Once it's in the socket, it's kinda stuck there. Haha

I hate the thought of someone ripping off the top layer when and if they ever need to redo the LM or TIM application. 

Thanks again.

You're welcome. 

6 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

You were quite wrong, Ryzen even games better than Intel to be frank, the minimums are much better, 1% and 0.1% lows considered as well, it also runs much more butter smooth while allowing twice as much multi-tasking than the i7 7700k manages, oh you have no idea the size of my regret for building my PC on february and going with the i7 7700, I wish every day I had a R5 1600x for personal computer from how much more love I have for the 1800x :P

Where are you getting the idea that the "minimums are much better"? If it's from your personal use (judging from the two rigs in your signature) then the results are quite skewed with the vast difference in memory speeds (something that aids significantly in minimum framerates). From my actual personal experience with Intel, and having built and benched my friends Ryzen PC, I'd have to say the end-experience is quite the same. While Intel CPU's posses the ability to push higher max framerates, I found both Intel's best offering and AMD's best offering to be basically the same at 1440p on a medium-high end GPU (GTX 1070). Further negated by the fact that our monitors have G-Sync.

With that being said, running my benches, their minimum framerates were nearly identical at similarly clocked memory speeds (with the i7's IMC beating out AMD's with higher overall clock speeds, but AMD having the 1T CR advantage on multi-rank kits allowing it to keep up even with a frequency disadvantage). 

Overall, I'd say the AMD vs Intel debate is pretty much dead at the moment. If you absolutely need the best of the best performance, and money is no object to you, Intel still holds the overall performance crown at the high end. If you need the best performance on a budget, AMD wins hands down. Further compacted by that extremely enticing $170 R5 1400 (AMD's unlocked i7 on a budget), AMD is certainly offering gamers a great value. 

Now we just need to see how much those 16c, 32t Threadripper CPU's cost. If AMD sticks to this value trend, that is going to be some insane lifting power on a budget. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

I found both Intel's best offering and AMD's best offering to be basically the same at 1440p on a medium-high end GPU (GTX 1070).

I might be biased due to 2560x1080p still being the highest resolution i work with, I do apologize if i went a bit too far on my affirmatives.

Over all your post as always was well written and very informative Mage.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I might be biased due to 2560x1080p still being the highest resolution i work with, I do apologize if i went a bit too far on my affirmatives.

Over all your post as always was well written and very informative Mage.

I would say even at 1080p, both do a fantastic job for gaming. People have this fixation on raw numbers, but fail to look at what they actually mean. Both companies now have CPU's that are capable of pushing 120, 144, even 165 frames per second at 1080p with no problems, and monitor technologies these days more than make up for any fluctuations in that department. With memory overclocking finally getting the recognition it deserves, more and more people are starting to see noticeable gains in their minimum framerates, and it's helping improve the overall gaming experience for consumers.

Most people will complain about Ryzen not being able to push say, 200+fps like a 5ghz 7700k, but they themselves still use a 60hz panel, or 120hz panel, or a 4k panel with their GPU being the primary bottleneck. At this point, if you have a modern CPU from AMD and Intel, and enough threads to run your applications, you are likely bottlenecked by your GPU/monitor, lol. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Most people will complain about Ryzen not being able to push say, 200+fps like a 5ghz 7700k, but they themselves still use a 60hz panel, or 120hz panel, or a 4k panel with their GPU being the primary bottleneck. At this point, if you have a modern CPU from AMD and Intel, and enough threads to run your applications, you are likely bottlenecked by your GPU/monitor, lol. 

Well I certainly didn't give my i7 7700 enough credit, the bottleneck always is the Titan XM and it really is a perfect CPU for desktop and gaming, I'm just very hyped at how well AMD managed to price their CPUs for instance my brother and I were saving $ forever to upgrade his workstation which featured an i7 3770 for his daily work with video editing and rendering (he works for this place that makes professional footage of events like graduations, parties, weddings and so on.

When Ryzen came we couldn't believe we built an entire r7 1800x system, the one on the signature, for the price of a single i7 6900k processor... I can't deny I got a bit red team leaned after it xD

But yes from my testing it for games I can tell both are excellent and it does bother me how people will say i7 7700k is the best gaming solution without giving ryzen any credit only due to a small advantage on raw fps averages when that alone hardly changes the game experience and the GPU is still by all means the most important factor indeed.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Well I certainly didn't give my i7 7700 enough credit, the bottleneck always is the Titan XM and it really is a perfect CPU for desktop and gaming, I'm just very hyped at how well AMD managed to price their CPUs for instance my brother and I were saving $ forever to upgrade his workstation which featured an i7 3770 for his daily work with video editing and rendering (he works for this place that makes professional footage of events like graduations, parties, weddings and so on.

When Ryzen came we couldn't believe we built an entire r7 1800x system, the one on the signature, for the price of a single i7 6900k processor... I can't deny I got a bit red team leaned after it xD

But yes from my testing it for games I can tell both are excellent and it does bother me how people will say i7 7700k is the best gaming solution without giving ryzen any credit only due to a small advantage on raw fps averages when that alone hardly changes the game experience and the GPU is still by all means the most important factor indeed.

I would say it still depends on what people are wanting out of their hardware. For the vast majority of consumers that run V-Sync, G-Sync, and Freesync, they won't care about the additional raw FPS that the 7700k offers when highly overclocked. However, some extreme competitive gamers (that don't care about tearing) will like try their best to get whatever advantage they can get, and will often pay a premium for said advantage, even if they likely can't tell a difference.

I will say, Ryzen's IMC issues aside (which apparently is getting an AGESA update to remedy it with 20+ registers, yay for that), it's launch was quite impressive. It undercut the expectations of every hardware enthusiast I personally know. My hardware group chat exploded on it's launch day, and even die-hard Intel fanboys in the chat were excited, as they believed Intel would be forced to respond with lower prices, or extreme innovation. I have no doubt that Intel feels some pressure now, especially after hearing the recent news of those high yields, and Whitehaven (Threadripper) / Naples bringing massive core-counts to the table. Gone is the frequency race, gone is the IPC race, we are now witnessing a core-count race, lol. 

As a "brand agnostic" kind of guy, I am happy to see healthy competition on both sides. I am also glad to see most consumers using rational judgement and not slinging mud at each other over brand loyalty. Thankfully, the PC community is starting to grow up a little, and with some luck, we won't have threads full of fanboys fighting each other with blind devotion like we did a few years back with the FX release.

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

You were quite wrong, Ryzen even games better than Intel to be frank, the minimums are much better, 1% and 0.1% lows considered as well, it also runs much more butter smooth while allowing twice as much multi-tasking than the i7 7700k manages, oh you have no idea the size of my regret for building my PC on february and going with the i7 7700, I wish every day I had a R5 1600x for personal computer from how much more love I have for the 1800x :P

Just to derail a little further I just ran 

r15, Aida 64 cpu fpu only(the hottest part)

and ow at the same time to max temps and test stability and my max temp was 63 degrees and my fps never dropped bellow 200 

show me a i7 that will match that at 1.45v 

answer to thermal solution to stick the ihs back down is black silicone.

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

9 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Compared my 1600 to my friends 6700k y'day, he scored 970 something at 4.5ghz, mine on stock clocks got 1114 xD 

I score 1367 overclocked :P

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

17 hours ago, mrzoltowski said:

SG is fine, just a dab to tack it in place, I've seen guys using JB weld to relidd... Like really lol.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)