So I lost the Silicon Lottery, considering a delid .. need some advice.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

in my 1st post I told you 99% of what to do apart from the specific thermal adhesive you should buy. I later went on to say an easier solution now that you have explained what you use the computer for would be to return it and get a 1700. How is that useless/off topic?

You expect me to return a CPU, Motherboard and Ram, wait for a AM4 Bracket from NZXT pay for return shipping just to get a Ryzen? 

I use my computer for both GAMING and my work. I chose something that fitted me best. And because I have a K processor I want to play with it also, is this too much to ask?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I couldn't agree more!

trainn.jpg

Not really, he pretty much got an answer in the 1st couple of posts. Everyone assumed this was for gaming and then he said it wasn't. When information changed the people responding in the thread changed their advice. why perform a risky delid on a CPU that won't do the tasks you need as well as a soldered off the shelf 1700?

Just now, mrzoltowski said:

You expect me to return a CPU, Motherboard and Ram, wait for a AM4 Bracket from NZXT pay for return shipping just to get a Ryzen? 

I use my computer for both GAMING and my work. I chose something that fitted me best. And because I have a K processor I want to play with it also, is this too much to ask?

And Ryzen might not perform better :P If you use Photoshop, After Effects etc. The 7700K is way faster 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You were quite wrong, Ryzen even games better than Intel to be frank, the minimums are much better, 1% and 0.1% lows considered as well, it also runs much more butter smooth while allowing twice as much multi-tasking than the i7 7700k manages, oh you have no idea the size of my regret for building my PC on february and going with the i7 7700, I wish every day I had a R5 1600x for personal computer from how much more love I have for the 1800x :P

Again you seem quite judgemental. Sigh .... will ask for advice somwhere else, this thread has turned into an AMD vs Intel debate once more. Cheers folks.

Just now, mrzoltowski said:

Again you seem quite judgemental. Sigh .... will ask for advice somwhere else, this thread has turned into an AMD vs Intel debate once more. Cheers folks.

A better cost-to-benefit discussion is no AMD vs Intel debate for what is worth.

Cheers.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, mrzoltowski said:

i wouldn't use glue and just secure it with the socket bracket 

(haven't done it myself)

1 minute ago, mrzoltowski said:

Both use DDR4 RAM so no you don't need to return that. NZXT ship the brackets for free... + they are available as standard on the new coolers so depends when you bought your kraken. Return shipping is that still a thing? I'm in the UK and have never paid return shipping.

I use my computer for both GAMING and my work. I chose something that fitted me best.

So do I and I'm sorry but you didn't. A 7700k is by no means a workstation CPU the 1700 is a no brainer choice here, it games well and is workstation grade for productivity.

And because I have a K processor I want to play with it also, is this too much to ask?

well according to intel? Yes it is.. xD 

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-suggests-core-i7-7700k-users-stop-overclocking-to-prevent-temp-spikes

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Not really, he pretty much got an answer in the 1st couple of posts. Everyone assumed this was for gaming and then he said it wasn't. When information changed the people responding in the thread changed their advice. why perform a risky delid on a CPU that won't do the tasks you need as well as a soldered off the shelf 1700?

If I am not mistake the question he asked was:

So I lost the Silicon Lottery, considering a delid .. need some advice.

not:

Should I buy a 7700K or a 1700?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I used a rockit 88 block to delid my 4790k. I definitely got some better temps, but ultimately I was nearing my voltage vs. clock speed threshold and had to pump way too many volts in to get past a 200mhz difference to the point where the noise from the fans was just getting far too annoying for the extra 100mhz (for the record, this puts me at 4.8 vs 4.9). Your mileage may vary. I also used loctite gel glue, but then again I don't plan on delidding this processor again (if and when it dies, it will be replaced)

So do I and I'm sorry but you didn't. A 7700k is by no means a workstation CPU the 1700 is a no brainer choice here, it games well and is workstation grade for productivity.

pic_disp.php?id=42028&width=800&height=8

pic_disp.php?id=41990&width=800&height=8

pic_disp.php?id=42012&width=800&height=8

Yes it is a workstation CPU, it just depends on the software you use

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

No, Intel said: If you don't want your CPU to run hot, don't overclock it, because overclocking voids your warranty and makes your CPU run hot.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If I am not mistake the question he asked was:

He asked advice towards delidding the i7 7700k for a specific gain, people adviced that he would rather see much more gain by going with the 1700 over delidding... it ain't completely wrong ya know? xD

Besides Photoshop 2017 does take advantage of fast single cores, yes, but that would require you having solely the Photoshop opened, which most content creators usually have a lot more applications open at the same time and Ryzen clearly has much superior multi-tasking.... we could be here discussing this forever, but I got work to do now so:

mlfw9209-Trixie.gif

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, spadz93 said:

I used a rockit 88 block to delid my 4790k. I definitely got some better temps, but ultimately I was nearing my voltage vs. clock speed threshold and had to pump way too many volts in to get past a 200mhz difference to the point where the noise from the fans was just getting far too annoying for the extra 100mhz (for the record, this puts me at 4.8 vs 4.9). Your mileage may vary. I also used loctite gel glue, but then again I don't plan on delidding this processor again (if and when it dies, it will be replaced)

@mrzoltowski This will be your best answer so far if you are ignoring the Ryzen advice, though take note it pretty much follows exactly what @Princess Cadence said regarding gains

Having not delidded anything myself, what's wrong with taking the IHS off and just not using it anymore? I assume it's just the risk of chipping the die itself like back in the days when IHS's weren't a thing, but it seems like you'd get a lot more performance running your cooler in direct contact with the die.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You were quite wrong, Ryzen even games better than Intel to be frank, the minimums are much better, 1% and 0.1% lows considered as well, it also runs much more butter smooth while allowing twice as much multi-tasking than the i7 7700k manages, oh you have no idea the size of my regret for building my PC on february and going with the i7 7700, I wish every day I had a R5 1600x for personal computer from how much more love I have for the 1800x :P

R7 doesn't have higher mins than 7700k, only applies to r5 vs i5

Calling in more experts rn @Lays @MageTank (done12many2 already was mentioned so not getting him in)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Masada02 said:

Having not delidded anything myself, what's wrong with taking the IHS off and just not using it anymore? I assume it's just the risk of chipping the die itself like back in the days when IHS's weren't a thing, but it seems like you'd get a lot more performance running your cooler in direct contact with the die.

You need new sockets since there would be a clearance issue (chip vs cooler), and you also run the risk of shorting out any small exposed components on the die itself

45 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Hey folks so I have had this i7700K for 3 weeks now. It has been running at stock for most of the time at around 67-69c (did a few experiments with overclocking) .. then managed to OC it to 4.8Ghz .... and boy does it get hot (high 80's-90's). At first I thought, maybe my AIO is bad at cooling the temps. So I took the CPU to a friend who has a water-cooled test bench. After a bit of testing he told me "You lost the lottery mate, de-lid that sucker".

So I have ordered liquid metal by Coollaboratory and the de-lidding tool. (£25 total, so not bad at all!)

After watching a lot of videos on the re-glue process and what glue to use here is my question:

If you have de-lided a CPU yourself;

1. Have you re-glued the IHS? Or did you just use the fact that the CPU bracket will hold it in place, combined with the pressure from a cooling block.
  2. If you have glued it, what glue have you used and how long before you could pop the CPU back into the mobo for use

If you have done this, please let me know, not looking for "hear-say" advice because you watched a YouTube video :)

Thanks in advance!

I'll chime in with my experience seeing as the others are being unhelpful. I've delidded my 7700K and didn't bother gluing the IHS back on. Got an overclock of 5ghz at 1.28v stable and hits about 50-60 degrees in games under an X62 Kraken.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

pic_disp.php?id=42028&width=800&height=8

pic_disp.php?id=41990&width=800&height=8

pic_disp.php?id=42012&width=800&height=8

Yes it is a workstation CPU, it just depends on the software you use

No, Intel said: If you don't want your CPU to run hot, don't overclock it, because overclocking voids your warranty and makes your CPU run hot.

His primary issue was running hot. Did you read OP?

Also an important factor those benches don't consider is you will likely have more than 1 content creation application open as well as anything else running in the background. On a clean install with nothing else running those results might be accurate, but day to day on an average system? Not a chance.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

He asked advice towards delidding the i7 7700k for a specific gain, people adviced that he would rather see much more gain by going with the 1700 over delidding... it ain't completely wrong ya know? xD

Depends on the software you use :D

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Besides Photoshop 2017 does take advantage of fast single cores, yes, but that would require you having solely the Photoshop opened, which most content creators usually have a lot more applications open at the same time and Ryzen clearly has much superior multi-tasking.... we could be here discussing this forever, but I got work to do now so:

The 7700K doesn't suck at multitasking. When it is overclocked it gets 1100cb multicore score, which is as fast as the stock R5 1600.................

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Depends on the software you use :D

The 7700K doesn't suck at multitasking. When it is overclocked it gets 1100cb multicore score, which is as fast as the stock R5 1600.................

Good job so when overclocked it beats a non overclocked CPU that costs £120 less, niceeeeee

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Good job so when overclocked it beats a non overclocked CPU that costs over £100 less, niceeeeee

It beats it with 2 fewer cores and 4 fewer threads, very nice indeed

Also an important factor those benches don't consider is you will likely have more than 1 content creation application open as well as anything else running in the background. On a clean install with nothing else running those results might be accurate, but day to day on an average system? Not a chance.

How do you know? Adobe is single core intensive, why would having more cores improve performance? 

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

How do you know? Adobe is single core intensive, why would having more cores improve performance? 

It wouldn't my point was the 7700k will likely have all its cores loaded so its achieved score is not indicative of real life use case, the 1700 wouldn't be as highly utilised and therefore a whole core could do nothing but the Adobe application.

@Princess Cadence @tom_w141 @PCGuy_5960 and maybe OP idk

Actually though, if you guys want to keep arguing about 7700k vs r7 we should take it to a P.M. instead of derailing an unrelated topic.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

@Princess Cadence @tom_w141 @PCGuy_5960 and maybe OP idk

Actually though, if you guys want to keep arguing about 7700k vs r7 we should take it to a P.M. instead of derailing an unrelated topic.

can't see what this is :P (work PC)