Budget Gaming Monitors - what's the catch?

gent23mj

I'm beginning to see a handful of monitors around the $139 - $199 price range that are advertising things that gamers want and need: things like 75Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time.  Well what's the catch? Other than size and resolution over 1080p, what am I losing or gaining from lesser expensive monitor or more expensive ones if it does or doesn't have those features mentioned above that I thought would drive the price up or down? Where are these manufactures cutting cost and quality to get monitors with those features into that price range? Or are they?

They tend to use TN panels rather than IPS panels, so the colour quality isn't as good.

Most will exclude built in speakers too, or they'll be cheapo not very good quality ones.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Nothing.75Hz on budget screen use to be rare but now it's pretty much standard if not the lowest specification.

if the argument was different panel (TN vs IPS) well there are lot's of IPS panel on that price range

$130-199 pretty much average price for average consumer, and it will adjust with time

while the products might have change but the price range is always stays the same.

14-15 inch CRT monitor used to cost the same

15-17inch LCD monitor use tod the same

My old 19inch LCD cost me $200 in 2007

with the same price I can get at least 22inch LCD with IPS Panel nowdays.

1ms is typical claim for TN panels, regardless if they're sold for gaming or not. Not familiar with US pricing, where do 144 Hz monitors start?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks guys.  Just a follow up question or two.  I've read that 5ms or less GTG response time should be good for gamers.  Is this true? And does the refresh rate dictate how fast or how much faster of a response time you would need.  In other words, would a 144Hz monitor and a 5ms be a worse pairing than a 60Hz and a 1ms?

Hope I'm not over thinking it.  If I am feel free to say so.

refresh rate and response time are 2 different things

and yes, you are overthinking it.

Unless you are getting a LCD TV which whole different story, any monitor (computer monitor) shouldn't be a problem.

Yea I knew they were two diff things.  Thanks for confirming I am over thinking it.  That's what I was looking for.  Thanks