How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,701 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

Im pretty lucky for someone who lives in Australia. Soon I will be upgrading my speed as well.

post-40561-0-84535700-1421201696.png

wow, 50 times the download speed and 800 times the upload speed of Australian internet 

post-40561-0-84535700-1421201696.png
I live in Australia. Not that bad.

4060308277.png

where is everyone getting these ridiculous speeds?

4060308277.png

where is everyone getting these ridiculous speeds?

Its because they live somewhere that ISP's actually reinvest their profits a.k.a. everywhere but North America. Countries that can't even feed the majority of their population will soon beat NA in speeds.

I'am with Shaw for internet and they're hiking their prices up so that they supposedly can build better infrastructure which is a load of horse ****. This is why we can't have nice things.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Its because they live somewhere that ISP's actually reinvest their profits a.k.a. everywhere but North America. Countries that can't even feed the majority of their population will soon beat NA in speeds.

I'am with Shaw for internet and they're hiking their prices up so that they supposedly can build better infrastructure which is a load of horse ****. This is why we can't have nice things.

Also our ISP's get money per project from the government to build fiber, and if they don't do it, they get huge reprecautions...

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Also our ISP's get money per project from the government to build fiber, and if they don't do it, they get huge reprecautions...

I may have to move to Norway.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

This discussion is making me sad, I see connections near to 1Gb/s and I have this:

4061864820.png

:(

This discussion is making me sad, I see connections near to 1Gb/s and I have this:

4061864820.png

:(

"Faster than 51% of IT"

That makes me cry

"Faster than 51% of IT"

That makes me cry

Yeah Italian ISPs are so good..........

Think i've won this:

2415912151.png

thats what i usually get

i live in australia and have telstra which i highly recommend not getting becuase i have had nothing but problems with them and their connection uptime

Just plugged into the school network via Ethernet for the first time... Lol dat speed

b9d391bdf2.png

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

What are you talking about? The ISP's are not forced to do anything and they don't get any money, but local governments sometime help to fund projects.

Our government will only allocate 50 million NOK(6,5 million USD) to the municipalities this year, for them to install fiber where there are no commercial interest.

So basically, the support from the Norwegian state is almost non existent. 

The ISP's are installing fibre where it is profitable. 99% of the fibre that are installed these days, are done by commercial operators.

The fibre coverage are pretty good(where people actually live, not godforsaken places), and it's getting better every year, but no thanks to the government.

They have been pretty clear about wanting the commercial operators to do the work.

What are you talking about? The ISP's are not forced to do anything and they don't get any money, but local governments sometime help to fund projects.

Our government will only allocate 50 million NOK(6,5 million USD) to the municipalities this year, for them to install fiber where there are no commercial interest.

So basically, the support from the Norwegian state is almost non existent. 

The ISP's are installing fibre where it is profitable. 99% of the fibre that are installed these days, are done by commercial operators.

The fibre coverage are pretty good(where people actually live, not godforsaken places), and it's getting better every year, but no thanks to the government.

They have been pretty clear about wanting the commercial operators to do the work.

Sure, Nord Trøndelag med with 1-2Km between the houses, seems like a good place to lay fibre and earn money, right?

The government directly is only doing 50Million NOK, but then the kommuner can do even more, fylker aswell

post-90150-0-77548700-1421436255_thumb.j

Home

post-90150-0-56754300-1421436275.jpg

School (fiber)

Thats why i put everything (youtube gids to upload) on my laptop and take it to school. Then i can upload way quicker lol

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

School (fiber)

Thats why i put everything (youtube gids to upload) on my laptop and take it to school. Then i can upload way quicker lol

Funny how it gives a grade F- to a 800Mb/s connection...

Speedtest.net what have you been smoking?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Funny how it gives a grade F- to a 800Mb/s connection...

Speedtest.net what have you been smoking?

I dont know what its been smoking, but atleast we know its "High......"

Lol

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Sure, Nord Trøndelag med with 1-2Km between the houses, seems like a good place to lay fibre and earn money, right?

The government directly is only doing 50Million NOK, but then the kommuner can do even more, fylker aswell

NTE(local power company and ISP) is owned by the Nord-Trøndelag county, but that is not the norm for the rest of the country. At least not for the southern parts of Norway, where most of us live.

My point is that Norway is not a country where the state heavily promotes high speeds connections. The only reason sparsely populated areas sometimes have access to fibre, is due to a local initiative. 

The 50mill NOK is for the municipalities(kommunene).

Sorry for the OT. Carry on please :)

4065493991.png

NTE(local power company and ISP) is owned by the Nord-Trøndelag county, but that is not the norm for the rest of the country. At least not for the southern parts of Norway, where most of us live.

My point is that Norway is not a country where the state heavily promotes high speeds connections. The only reason sparsely populated areas sometimes have access to fibre, is due to a local initiative. 

The 50mill NOK is for the municipalities(kommunene).

Sorry for the OT. Carry on please :)

Well...

1: NTE has a deal with Altibox, so it's not their own solution/eqipment...

2: There were 0 local initiative at the place I were talking about, NTE just decided to come there with fiber!

3: It is 110 million, not 50 and the muncipalities CAN give more if they want to as stated above (I know for a fact that NTE gets some quite large deals which alone would be about 50% of that money)

4: Altibox is in all fylker in Norway, which means that at least you can get fiber in every fylke

Oh, and if you actually read what you first quoted me on you will se that your first comment made no sense at all

AND you can check NTE, VikenFiber and so on earnings IT IS NOT MUCH!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

School (fiber)

That one is tampered with, it shouldn't be F-

Well...

1: NTE has a deal with Altibox, so it's not their own solution/eqipment...

2: There were 0 local initiative at the place I were talking about, NTE just decided to come there with fiber!

3: It is 110 million, not 50 and the muncipalities CAN give more if they want to as stated above (I know for a fact that NTE gets some quite large deals which alone would be about 50% of that money)

4: Altibox is in all fylker in Norway, which means that at least you can get fiber in every fylke

Oh, and if you actually read what you first quoted me on you will se that your first comment made no sense at all

AND you can check NTE, VikenFiber and so on earnings IT IS NOT MUCH!

1. I know. NTE installs the fibre optic cables.

2. NTE is owned by the county(Nord-Trøndelag). They didn't come, they were already there. Therefore it was a local initiative when they expanded their business to include installing fibre and be a partner of Altibox.

3. No, only 50 million NOK is allocated in the state budget in 2015. Anymore money are in that case added by local governments.

4. No, Altibox is not available in all the counties.

No, your comment made no sense. You gave the impression that our government are promoting high speed connections and being progressive in that regard. But that is not the case. The money that are allocated are not much, and they have been saying for years that they want the private market to take care of it.

Their earning may not have been much 10 years ago, when they started up with FTTH, but now they are making good profits. They need only a little more than 50% penetration in one area to make a profit. Most of the fibre networks in Norway have 60% or more, so they are very profitable.

The problem is that due to lack of initiative in our government, it's been up to private companies to install fibre and they are not gonna share those cables with anyone else, it's long term investments.

So we will not have a situation similar to the phone networks(copper cables), where there can be competition. If you are lucky to live in an area that have fibre optic cables, you have, in 99% of the time, only one ISP to choose from.

In other words, just like the cable-TV companies.

If the government really promoted and allocated enough money to create a nationwide fibre optic network, this wouldn't be a problem and it would have benefited us, the consumers. 

The amount of money from the government is pathetic and it only makes it easier for the ISP to create monopolies. If you have access to a fibre connection, but you think it's too expensive, you are shit out of luck. You have to pay whatever they want, you have nowhere else to go. You can always choose a shitty ADSL connection though or one of the cable companies that forces you to buy their TV packages that you don't need  :angry:

But enough of this OT, I'm done. -_-

1. I know. NTE installs the fibre optic cables.

2. NTE is owned by the county(Nord-Trøndelag). They didn't come, they were already there. Therefore it was a local initiative when they expanded their business to include installing fibre and be a partner of Altibox.

3. No, only 50 million NOK is allocated in the state budget in 2015. Anymore money are in that case added by local governments.

4. No, Altibox is not available in all the counties.

No, your comment made no sense. You gave the impression that our government are promoting high speed connections and being progressive in that regard. But that is not the case. The money that are allocated are not much, and they have been saying for years that they want the private market to take care of it.

Their earning may not have been much 10 years ago, when they started up with FTTH, but now they are making good profits. They need only a little more than 50% penetration in one area to make a profit. Most of the fibre networks in Norway have 60% or more, so they are very profitable.

The problem is that due to lack of initiative in our government, it's been up to private companies to install fibre and they are not gonna share those cables with anyone else, it's long term investments.

So we will not have a situation similar to the phone networks(copper cables), where there can be competition. If you are lucky to live in an area that have fibre optic cables, you have, in 99% of the time, only one ISP to choose from.

In other words, just like the cable-TV companies.

If the government really promoted and allocated enough money to create a nationwide fibre optic network, this wouldn't be a problem and it would have benefited us, the consumers. 

The amount of money from the government is pathetic and it only makes it easier for the ISP to create monopolies. If you have access to a fibre connection, but you think it's too expensive, you are shit out of luck. You have to pay whatever they want, you have nowhere else to go. You can always choose a shitty ADSL connection though or one of the cable companies that forces you to buy their TV packages that you don't need  :angry:

But enough of this OT, I'm done. -_-

2: It's not an initiative when it is already there

Please do your research before commenting, you are clearly wrong, and you do not link to anything to backup what you say, so I will include these links:

3: http://www.cw.no/artikkel/bredband/110-millioner-bredbandsstotte

4: http://www.tu.no/it/2014/12/15/na-har-lyse-og-altibox-lagt-fiber-til-alle-landets-fylker

You might want to check up on some of those companies you claim have good profits...

As you might understand I have Fiber, and there are "only" 4-5 other ISPS here aswell (I can also mention that fiber is the cheapest alternative aswell, so to claim it is expensive you must be drunk or something), I think that is far more than enough, also one thing is that there might only be 1 ISP, but they are not pushing people around like the US IPS's do! We actually have laws to prevent that!

They don't force you to buy the TV package neither, they do however charge more for the internet part if you want only that (Not more than the whole package, but more than the internet part of the package)