How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,701 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

Gazzer96, on 11 Jun 2013 - 9:34 PM, said:

Plusnet say I should get like 19MB/s download speed, but I get no where near that.

It is weird that I got 10MB/s download on the test as I am only able to reach 1.4Mb/s most of time.

Maybe an ISP like Sky BB or BT would be able to give you speeds nearer 19MB/s. Reason I say this is I have a friend on Plusnet and like you he suffers massive slow downs in speed to say around 1.5mb/s even when the exchange we are on is easily capable of 20MB/s, I know this as I get around 16MB/s on sky unlimited in same housing estate while his maxes out at 6MB/s on Plusnet unlimited. But the whole reaching 10MB/s thing was probably down to a false burst speedtest or very little congestion on your local exchange at that time :)

EDIT: Just read again that you were on BT and was slower so wouldn't recommend that route again ;)

Maybe an ISP like Sky BB or BT would be able to give you speeds nearer 19MB/s. Reason I say this is I have a friend on Plusnet and like you he suffers massive slow downs in speed to say around 1.5mb/s even when the exchange we are on is easily capable of 20MB/s, I know this as I get around 16MB/s on sky unlimited in same housing estate while his maxes out at 6MB/s on Plusnet unlimited. But the whole reaching 10MB/s thing was probably down to a false burst speedtest or very little congestion on your local exchange at that time :)

EDIT: Just read again that you were on BT and was slower so wouldn't recommend that route again ;)

I also had problems with sky as well, but not as bad as BT; with BT download speeds could not even get up to a single KB!

What I think is causing the slow down is the fact that we use telephone connections and these telephones wires are very thin, not to mention that these particular telephone connections were made in the 1970's; we are waiting for fiber optics to be installed, which will never happen since the government hates us, the people from the Northen areas of England for some reason.

2774725115.png

Still waiting on google fiber; stop trying to sway me with upgraded speeds comcast...

2775551925.png

Not bad, much better than it has been for a while.

2713147212.png

This is crap speeds for me when I'm paying $60.00 to $70.00 (with Bell's $20.00 add on for unlimited usage) for 5 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload. So stupid too is that I will never get Fibre internet or TV on my street but yet the street next to me gets it. Reason being is because I have the old old version of the box (that the wires connect to then get split up to the houses) and they won't replace it until it gets damage (because no new houses are being built). Stupid Bell Canada keeps saying, "We're expanding our Fibre Optic to different areas each day." When I ask when will I be getting Fibre on my street.

If you're wondering what Bell Canada internet plan I have, here is my plan. http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Bell_Internet_5

I feel your pain. Bell's internet is ridiculously overpriced for what you get. 

2775744274.png

Western Sydney's internet is overpowered. 

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

2775794697.png

Probably one of the wort ones, I really don't like BT.

2775794697.png

Probably one of the wort ones, I really don't like BT.

tell me about it. But did you know that BT isn't BT anymore, it is IT (Indian Telecommications).

tell me about it. But did you know that BT isn't BT anymore, it is IT (Indian Telecommications).

You can see the date in the up right corner

Just reading through this thread makes me jealous. Here's mine  :( 

2777620657.png

2779949539.png

An what is really annoying is my bro in the next room gets 12 down with powerline. Wifi sucks :(

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

2781726406.png

Paying for 30/3 

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

So my ISP uped my download speed by 30Mbit this week.

2786253725.png

Now I'm just hoping that they do the same with my upload.

Garbage internet club!  :D

2786416210.png

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I really wish wired was an option for me. 

2787036776.png

2787386698.png

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Oh my..... I feel bad, my phone's 3G/4G connection is faster than that :(

... :|

This is some serious bull crap. I won't bother posting mine as it's just basically Dave :)'s. :C

I hate Texas. I hate America. Stupid corporations taking tax payer money to improve infrastructure then *gasp* NOT doing it. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.