Radiator fan question. Also what is that extra cable??

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
49 minutes ago, BrandonIsComputering said:

What is SIV? Also, I just purchased another corsair sp120 but the pwm version along with some 3pin extensions to connect my 3 120mm in the front. I was wondering, could I connect the pwm hub connector to the systfan header and the  fan I'm putting onto the rad onto the cpu_fan. From what I understand, the systfan header is pwm but voltage regulated so fans won't boot up until about 20% and up? I'm just paranoid to not have complete control over the radiator fan. 

SIV is Gigabyte's System Information Viewer. https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/Microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html

The pwm hub needs a pwm header to work. In this case, that would be your cpu_fan and not a sys_fan header.

You can plug the Aer P140 fan into the case fan hub but it won't be getting the 4pin pwm signal that its designed for. 

The minimum fan speed depends on the fan itself.

I'm almost done physically installing all of the parts into my Phanteks entho evolve! Since it's my first build it took about 4-5 hours. I then hit a snag while installing my Kraken x42. My case has a pwm hub in the back that connects to the cpu_fan header on my motherboard and I'm using this to connect all of the fans.

Is it okay to have my radiator fan hooked to the same place as the other fans? Is there another better way to do this?

Also, I bought corsair 120 mm sp fans and was wondering if anyone knew what the included cable was for. It's very small and seems to be a bit more than an extension. Unfortunately using these were the only way to get some fans to reach the pwm hub. WHY ARE THE CABLES SO SHORT?!

So your talking about your AIO CPU water cooling system (kraken x42) and your wondering if its fine to plug it into the same place the other fans are plugged in. Is this correct?

Which mobo do you have? If you have multiple PWM headers, I would have pump in CPU_FAN and rad fans connected to CPU_FAN2 or to pump itself. And then case fans to some other header. But if you only have one PWM header, sure you can connect all the hub. Just note that you won't be able to select different speeds for different fans. They will be all following same curve.

As for cable, post a pic as I can't find one on Corsairs site.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, inlowj said:

So your talking about your AIO CPU water cooling system (kraken x42) and your wondering if its fine to plug it into the same place the other fans are plugged in. Is this correct?

Yes.

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which mobo do you have? If you have multiple PWM headers, I would have pump in CPU_FAN and rad fans connected to CPU_FAN2 or to pump itself. And then case fans to some other header. But if you only have one PWM header, sure you can connect all the hub. Just note that you won't be able to select different speeds for different fans. They will be all following same curve.

That's really insightful about not being able to select different speeds, thank you. 

Im at work right now but when I get off I'll list my mobo and take all the pictures. 

12 hours ago, BrandonIsComputering said:

That's really insightful about not being able to select different speeds, thank you. 

Im at work right now but when I get off I'll list my mobo and take all the pictures. 

16 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

6 hours ago, BrandonIsComputering said:

Ok, so Gigabyte. Mobo with worse fan support of all major manufaturers. You only have one PWM header, so connect all fans to that. I don't know if Gigabyte has improved their control options, lets hope so. And I don't know if Speedfan is still being updated with latest controllers.

The short cable looks like LNA, low-noise adapter. Connect it between fan and power source and you have max 7V instead of 12V.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ok, so Gigabyte. Mobo with worse fan support of all major manufaturers. You only have one PWM header, so connect all fans to that. I don't know if Gigabyte has improved their control options, lets hope so. And I don't know if Speedfan is still being updated with latest controllers.

The short cable looks like LNA, low-noise adapter. Connect it between fan and power source and you have max 7V instead of 12V.

Thank you, you've been a really big help. I was hoping to use speed fan to control everything. If I use the 140mm fan that came with the aio that could hook that up to a system fan header? It has a 4 pin instead of a and that means it has an integrated pwm signal? Or am I just saying things? Haha. If that's possible would I the be able to control the radiator fan separately with speedfan?

10 minutes ago, BrandonIsComputering said:

Thank you, you've been a really big help. I was hoping to use speed fan to control everything. If I use the 140mm fan that came with the aio that could hook that up to a system fan header? It has a 4 pin instead of a and that means it has an integrated pwm signal? Or am I just saying things? Haha. If that's possible would I the be able to control the radiator fan separately with speedfan?

Mobo literally has only one PWM header. All others are DC. Yes, you can control fans in DC mode. But you loose some of accuracy. I have 2 gens older Gigabyte board and fan control is non-existent. Same goes with Z97 boards, but I've heard newer ones are bit better. So if Speedfan doesn't work, you can try with SIV.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

What is SIV? Also, I just purchased another corsair sp120 but the pwm version along with some 3pin extensions to connect my 3 120mm in the front. I was wondering, could I connect the pwm hub connector to the systfan header and the  fan I'm putting onto the rad onto the cpu_fan. From what I understand, the systfan header is pwm but voltage regulated so fans won't boot up until about 20% and up? I'm just paranoid to not have complete control over the radiator fan. Though I won't be over clocking until I get a better monitor. I have a 23" 144hz acer. I'll mostly be gaming so would it be more prudent to have more control over the case fans or the fan cooling my CPU? Thank you again, you've been a huge help.

49 minutes ago, BrandonIsComputering said:

What is SIV? Also, I just purchased another corsair sp120 but the pwm version along with some 3pin extensions to connect my 3 120mm in the front. I was wondering, could I connect the pwm hub connector to the systfan header and the  fan I'm putting onto the rad onto the cpu_fan. From what I understand, the systfan header is pwm but voltage regulated so fans won't boot up until about 20% and up? I'm just paranoid to not have complete control over the radiator fan. 

SIV is Gigabyte's System Information Viewer. https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/Microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html

The pwm hub needs a pwm header to work. In this case, that would be your cpu_fan and not a sys_fan header.

You can plug the Aer P140 fan into the case fan hub but it won't be getting the 4pin pwm signal that its designed for. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:46 AM, WoodenMarker said:

So i ordered 3pin extensions to put in my 3 120mm fans in the front of my case. My 120mm pwm fan is hooked up to the systfan header since I don't really have anywhere else to put it. I turned it on, all of the fans kicked on and I pulled up the bios. My CPU temp imeadiatly spiked, it got to 100c before I shut it down. I'm so confused.