CPU Fan Error No "Solution" working

Hi all,

So about 6 months ago I completed my first build. Did plenty of research beforehand (about a years’ worth lol) and built it with the help of a tech savvy friend.

Specs: 

Intel Core i7-6700k

ASUS Maximus VII Hero

Corsair 16GB (4x4GB)

Zotac GTX 1070 extreme edition

Corsair Hydro series h100i CPU liquid cooling

WD Blue SSD 250GB

WD Blue SSD 500GB

Toshiba HDWD130 3TB HDD

Everything was working fine up until about a week ago when the two fans on my ‘Corsair h100i’ started kicking up to a faster speed. I was running only ‘VLC media player’ at the time. I checked ‘MSI afterburner’ to see what temp my CPU was at and saw that it was lingering around 30°C. There was no other program running and I checked task manager but couldn't see anything new running in the background.

I shut down my PC and restarted it, the fans immediately kicked up spinning really fast. At this point I was greeted with a "CPU Fan error" (See attachment) telling me to make sure my fan was plugged in or disable it in BIOS. I played around in BIOS but it could not identify the Water Pump or "CPU Fans"

I set the BIOS to ignore the error allowing me to get back to Windows. I checked out a few forums, none of which mentioned that their fans had started acting strangely but apparently, this “CPU error” is common with ASUS boards and water pumps.

I tried a lot of suggestions, downloading software such as CAM and SpeedFan to try and change the fan speed. Problem is NOTHING ON MY COMPUTER RECOGNISES IT! Oh yeah I get CPU temps and GPU fan speeds but nothing, not even the BIOS can identify it. 

I tried swapping the pin around from CPU Fan to Water Pump on the board but nothing changes. The fans kick up, I get the error, I set CPU fan from "Monitor" (which just shows N/A) to "Ignore" in bios, I boot to Windows and can't change speed or receive any info.

My only real concern is why it’s doing this and if I can stop it, my PC continues to function but the fans make so much noise. My CPU has always been in the mid 30°C’s and I have no idea why this has happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

JPEG_20170519_232504 (2).jpg

12 minutes ago, DeccyBee said:

-snip-

I'd say swap it with the stock intel heatsink to test but you can't *cough*thanks intel*cough* soooo do you have another heatsink to test it with to confirm if it's really the AIO or the motherboard?

If you don't have another heatsink see if you can borrow a friends or just buy a cheap on like the Hyper 212 Evo to test it. It's the only way to be sure which is really at fault.

37 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'd say swap it with the stock intel heatsink to test but you can't *cough*thanks intel*cough* soooo do you have another heatsink to test it with to confirm if it's really the AIO or the motherboard?

If you don't have another heatsink see if you can borrow a friends or just buy a cheap on like the Hyper 212 Evo to test it. It's the only way to be sure which is really at fault.

I don't have a spare heatsink but I'll look for a cheap on online and see. Depending on which is at fault what would be the best course of action?

Just now, DeccyBee said:

I don't have a spare heatsink but I'll look for a cheap on online and see. Depending on which is at fault what would be the best course of action?

The best course of action would be to contact the vendor you purchased them from to see if they have some kind of warranty (newegg, amazon, etc.). If it's out of their warranty then you would want to contact the manufacturer to start the RMA process.

I plugged my pump sensor in the cpu header. Worked fine for years. Now I either plug a fan there or set it to ignore. All 3 of my asus boards have had zero issues. Sounds like an issue with the pump.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Sometimes this happens and all you really need to dois just gently wiggle the connector on the CPU fan header and reboot once it isn't a dead fan.

You may also want to check this.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.