Keyboard Switches Explained

Vandorlot
Go to solution Solved by Ominous,

This sums up the 4 main Cherry MX key switches:

Blue = Clicky and Tactile (50g actuation force)

Brown = Not Clicky and Tactile (45g actuation force)

Red = Not Clicky and Linear (45g actuation force)

Black = Not Clicky and Linear (60g actuation force)

It is all down to personal preference.  The saying try before you buy is very prominent here, if you can try them; try them.

What are some good switches for keyboards?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

1 minute ago, JaredM54 said:

Cherry Blue if you want loud clicky (normally best for typing), Cherry Brown if you want quiet clicky (my personal favorite), Cherry Red if you want no clicky (normally for gaming).

Those the most common ones? what do you mean by no clicky? No sounds at all? 

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

blue 4 typing, red gaming, brown both

2 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

Cherry Blue if you want loud clicky (normally best for typing), Cherry Brown if you want quiet clicky (my personal favorite), Cherry Red if you want no clicky (normally for gaming).

So brown and red are the better ones?

My Rig

Peripherals

3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

So brown and red are the better ones?

no, I like blue cause there is more tactile feedback. Brown is really good too. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Are there any non-cherry MX switches i should look for?

My Rig

Peripherals

3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Are there any non-cherry MX switches i should look for?

Romer-G is good for some people, from my experience it is between brown and red

9 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Romer-G is good for some people, from my experience it is between brown and red

Dont you mean blue and brown? You said that you like blue, but brown is also good.

My Rig

Peripherals

Romer-g is an improvement over cherry IMHO. If you want Cherry-esque you can give outemu switches a go. They are  a good clone of cherry 

Key switches are 100% personal preference. There is no switch type which is better than the others and the only way to know which one you will like best is to try them.

9 hours ago, lw88 said:

Threadly reminder that logitech key stems are total shite and designed to fail.

They changed the G710 keycaps years ago and they no longer fail. You would be hard pressed to buy a keyboard with the old caps anymore. And if the caps do fail Logitech is very good about getting you an entire new set.

It is all down to personal preference.  The saying try before you buy is very prominent here, if you can try them; try them.

53 minutes ago, Qyndryx said:

What do you mean by linear and tactile. 

My Rig

Peripherals

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

What do you mean by linear and tactile. 

Linear is smooth throughout the key stroke while tactile has a bump where the key activates.