No case fans, should I worry about VRM/Chipset temps?

Go to solution Solved by Vandorlot,

If its an open case, then you dont need any fans, but for optimal cooling you should probably get one 120 mm or 140mm targeted at the cpu fan. On linus' test bench he has a universal fan mount that holds the fan mid air. 

Heres a link to it.

http://www.dimastechusa.com/dimastech-flexfan120-black-v20 

So I have a thermaltake core P3 which has no mounting for fans (unless you want them cooling your cables) I do have a cryorig H7 with a fan on that, is that enough to keep the VRMs and chipset cool? I can't measure yet because I'm getting a Ryzen 5 1600 tomorrow and I want to know before hand if I need to "ghetto mount" a fan on somewhere.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

So I have a thermaltake core P3 which has no mounting for fans (unless you want them cooling your cables) I do have a cryorig H7 with a fan on that, is that enough to keep the VRMs and chipset cool? I can't measure yet because I'm getting a Ryzen 5 1600 tomorrow and I want to know before hand if I need to "ghetto mount" a fan on somewhere.

Probably do. Luke did a video, without any case fans temps got pretty hot.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Probably do. Luke did a video, without any case fans temps got pretty hot.

Do you think it'd be better to mount one on the top or on the back?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

yes.. to a point.

you should care, to the point of having concluded they arent an issue, or concluded they are and fixed it. should also add that bodging a 40-50mm fan to your VRMs does A LOT for its thermals.

On 5/22/2017 at 6:02 PM, ShadowTechXTS said:

Do you think it'd be better to mount one on the top or on the back?

Either will work, does your case not have any fan holes?

I also recommend 1 intake 1 out-take, if you can only get 1 fan get 1 intake. 

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

In this situation, I'd suggest that a good top-down cooler (like the Wraith Spire?) might be a good idea to get air moving over the VRMs.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

6 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

I also recommend 1 intake 1 out-take, if you can only get 1 fan get 1 intake. 

7 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Either will work, does your case not have any fan holes?

It has no "walls"

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

In this situation, I'd suggest that a good top-down cooler (like the Wraith Spire?) might be a good idea to get air moving over the VRMs.

I'm not giving up my H7 :P 

✨PC Specs✨

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

It has no "walls"

Wait a minute, first of all h7 is very good. Second of all, is it a closed case, or one of those that are completely open. If its completely open you probably wouldn't need any. Linus has some sort of device that he put on his test bench to hold a fan. Its in his handy tech under 100 dollars series I believe. Not sure which one in specific.

My Rig

Peripherals

5 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I love my H7 too, you know that, but if there's zero airflow directed across the VRMs, a top-down cooler might not be a bad idea. The Wraith Spire is pretty damn solid. Just sayin'.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

4 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Wait a minute, first of all h7 is very good. Second of all, is it a closed case, or one of those that are completely open. If its completely open you probably wouldn't need any. Linus has some sort of device that he put on his test bench to hold a fan. Its in his handy tech under 100 dollars series I believe. Not sure which one in specific.

It's an open case with a window help up by 4 metal bars.

✨PC Specs✨

If its an open case, then you dont need any fans, but for optimal cooling you should probably get one 120 mm or 140mm targeted at the cpu fan. On linus' test bench he has a universal fan mount that holds the fan mid air. 

Heres a link to it.

http://www.dimastechusa.com/dimastech-flexfan120-black-v20 

My Rig

Peripherals