Need a new Laptop

I am leaving for college soon and need a new laptop. I have been a pc user all my life and have never even thought pf getting an apple up until this point. I'm not sure what I am going to major in but it might have to do with some content creation. My budget is up to $1800 and right now my top two are the Dell XPS 15 or the Apple Macbook pro but they seem very similar spec wise. Looking for someone to shed some light on this and provide some clarity.

You gaming at all? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

If you're going to live in the dorm. I suggest you building your own PC. You can bring your pc to college dorms.

5 minutes ago, Perche25 said:

Dell XPS 15 or the Apple Macbook pro

XPS 15 would be better, the new MacBooks are not worth getting, what are you studying in college? 

XPS 15, not even a question.

Even though all of the cool kids majoring in some liberal degree like contemporary dance might have the latest and greatest Macbook, you'll sit there knowing you picked the right machine.

3 hours ago, Lawyer Turtle said:

If you're going to live in the dorm. I suggest you building your own PC. You can bring your pc to college dorms.

I am actually going to be studying abroad my first semester and probably other semesters too. I also have a pc that I built already

3 hours ago, Mohenjo said:

You gaming at all? 

maybe some but I have a pc that I built already to game on

10 hours ago, Perche25 said:

I am leaving for college soon and need a new laptop. I have been a pc user all my life and have never even thought pf getting an apple up until this point. I'm not sure what I am going to major in but it might have to do with some content creation. My budget is up to $1800 and right now my top two are the Dell XPS 15 or the Apple Macbook pro but they seem very similar spec wise. Looking for someone to shed some light on this and provide some clarity.

aero15. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p