Build a home gaming server and nas

Hi everyone, I'm looking to build my own gaming server / nas. I would to use it to stock my files and be able to have it any where like Dropbox and host my website . I also really want to be able to host a game server on it, I'm currently codding a fivem server (gta) who don't use a lot of ressources but I also would like to be able sometimes to run a server like minecraft and be able to have 20 people's on it without any problems :)

Don't worry for my electricity I won't pay more because it's all in one with my apartment and also don't worry for my Internet I got the fiber with 300 down and 300 up with a 5 ping ;)

I hope you could help me cause I don't know a lot in vps and server I'm scared to buy things and see its not too powerful for what I want :/ I would like to put 600 bucks on it or more if it's too short. 

you have 2 choices

1- buy an used server 

2-build your own using consumer parts 

1- you can get prety powerful servers for prety cheap the only problam is that most of then are loud and used a fair chunk of power;

2- if you bought something like a ryzen 1600/1700 (6 or 8 cores) it would probably be just as fast as the servers but much more quiet and efficient

OK so I should go with a ryzen 1700 with 16go of ram ? What kind of mother board should I buy ? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-R410-2-X-QUAD-CORE-2-40GHZ-E5620-8GB-RAM-1-x-TRAY-QTY-AVAILABLE-/351951744696?hash=item51f1f56eb8:g:FysAAOSwh2xYAR-N

Thats a fair option. (Raid1, Raid0, max 2tb hdds)  Expandibility might be a problem however you can switch out the raid card with something like an h700.  It is abit louder but for the price I havent found anything that beats it.  However if youre looking for something around 500-600 bucks then you can either build something yourself like @cj09beira suggested.  However used servers are still great options. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Ok then: minecraft is a ram whore... I'd say give the server access to at least 4GB and 2 reasonable modern CPU cores.

I assume you want to have like 4-10TB of storage in there, so you should have at least 8-12GB of RAM total, better to get 16.

With the CPU I'd go either with a used Sandybridge or newer Xeon or an R7 1700.

With the OS I'd just throw unraid on there since all you want to do is pretty easy to do (check out my guide for it, if you want I add a section for MineOS and/or a GTA server).

The server @Nikolithebear posted seems a pretty decent, but I'd add RAM and new HDDs.

OK I see I'm going to check used server and also made a list of pièce 

7 hours ago, quentin3225 said:

1. I'm looking to build my own gaming server / nas. I would to use it to stock my files and be able to have it any where like Dropbox and host my website .

2. I'm currently codding a fivem server (gta) who don't use a lot of ressources but I also would like to be able sometimes to run a server like minecraft and be able to have 20 people's on it without any problems

3. Don't worry for my electricity I won't pay more because it's all in one with my apartment and also don't worry for my Internet I got the fiber with 300 down and 300 up with a 5 ping ;)

1. simple to do

2. a 4-6 core system with about 16-32GB ram should fit that need

3. lucky, and you get 300 down and up with 5 ping?!?!?! not even my work has that speeds!

a 4-6 core system would handle your needs, also consider hyper-threading as well as that can really help with processing loads of small workloads, most game server hosting software works this way to try and take advantage of HT, doesn't run very well on non-HT systems though (why would it?)

anyways, buying new equipment with this specs would cost around 2000-2500 USD brand new, used would fetch around 500-1000 USD and you might get some more advanced features like ECC memory and quad port 10-gigabit network cards,

(we have a system at work that has 4 of them, but it's the main virtual system hoster and these systems include things like a mail server and things like that that need loads of bandwidth)

EDIT: fixed some infomation errors

Edited by samiscool51

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

2 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Ok then: minecraft is a ram whore...

you mean minecraft server....

but i will continue with this joke

In in the ring we have a java program that takes more RAM than the game it is hosting, we have the Minecraft server java application!

(crowd roar)

and this other corner, we have a browser that destroys 4GB RAM computers, it's google chrome!

(crowd roar)

(the contestants go into the middle of the ring)

Ring master: Alright, i want a good clean fight for the RAM, no overwriting each other, no corrupting each other memorys space etc., alright let's get this over with, go to your corners!

(the contestants go back to their corners)

(bell sounds, ding...)

let the fight begin......

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!