Syncing music to video at live event

Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
15 minutes ago, dab1214 said:

I am filming at a private event. There will be a DJ. Is there any way to record and sync the audio from the event to the video? Would the DJ be able to record it or is that something that I have to do on my end? I have a Canon SL1

Unless you are filming someone singing vocals and you need to sync lip movement to the lyrics, it shouldn't be too much of an issue if the timing of the music in post is just slightly off from the actual live event.  However if you really want to match things up:

• you can record an audio scratch track to the in-camera video recording and use it to sync with the higher quality external audio recording or pre-recorded music file, on post production mute or delete the low quality audio track of the video after syncing before exporting
  • if the camera and audio recording system both have timecode in/out ports, just take the timecode of one device and input it to another for synchronization

Since the SL1 has a mic port, and no timecode ports, just plug a mic to the camera and film with the audio.  Use an external recorder to record higher quality audio of the DJ playing or ask him if he has a recording he can give you.  Then sync the two audio tracks in post.

I am filming at a private event. There will be a DJ. Is there any way to record and sync the audio from the event to the video? Would the DJ be able to record it or is that something that I have to do on my end? I have a Canon SL1

15 minutes ago, dab1214 said:

Unless you are filming someone singing vocals and you need to sync lip movement to the lyrics, it shouldn't be too much of an issue if the timing of the music in post is just slightly off from the actual live event.  However if you really want to match things up:

• you can record an audio scratch track to the in-camera video recording and use it to sync with the higher quality external audio recording or pre-recorded music file, on post production mute or delete the low quality audio track of the video after syncing before exporting
  • if the camera and audio recording system both have timecode in/out ports, just take the timecode of one device and input it to another for synchronization

Since the SL1 has a mic port, and no timecode ports, just plug a mic to the camera and film with the audio.  Use an external recorder to record higher quality audio of the DJ playing or ask him if he has a recording he can give you.  Then sync the two audio tracks in post.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

20 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Ok. I will give that a try. I don't have an external audio recorder, but I will look into it. For now I will ask the DJ for a recording. The thing is that it also has speeches which they would use the DJ microphone. Thank you